997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I've discovered that my accessory plug doesn't work at all. Check that first.

Cw
Old 01-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Thanks. I'm getting power to the accessory plug in the footwell. I'm suspecting my LA Power unit is bad.

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I've discovered that my accessory plug doesn't work at all. Check that first.

Cw
Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Thanks. I'm getting power to the accessory plug in the footwell. I'm suspecting my LA Power unit is bad.
If the MOST fiber ring is not correct spliced, the LaPower unit will have no light.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Good to know. My unit came with the 3-headed wiring harness (below). I assume it is all plug-n-play with no splicing/re-wiring required, correct? Also, I contacted the LAPower seller on Amazon and he said I need to get the CD changer functionality enabled in my car since it didn't come with a changer. He said if the CDC is not enabled, the LAPower module will not get power. Reading through this thread, I could have sworn someone mentioned that was not necessary but I will find someone local to enable the CDC as well.

Originally Posted by Zettinger
If the MOST fiber ring is not correct spliced, the LaPower unit will have no light.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:51 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know. My unit came with the 3-headed wiring harness (below). I assume it is all plug-n-play with no splicing/re-wiring required, correct? Also, I contacted the LAPower seller on Amazon and he said I need to get the CD changer functionality enabled in my car since it didn't come with a changer. He said if the CDC is not enabled, the LAPower module will not get power. Reading through this thread, I could have sworn someone mentioned that was not necessary but I will find someone local to enable the CDC as well.
Mine was delivered like this (plus a CDC loop) and I spliced nothing. All plug and play other than the power taps. You will need the CD changer activated.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:54 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=Busta Rib;15601131]Good to know. My unit came with the 3-headed wiring harness (below). I assume it is all plug-n-play with no splicing/re-wiring required, correct? Also, I contacted the LAPower seller on Amazon and he said I need to get the CD changer functionality enabled in my car since it didn't come with a changer. He said if the CDC is not enabled, the LAPower module will not get power. Reading through this thread, I could have sworn someone mentioned that was not necessary but I will find someone local to enable the CDC as well.

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Mine was delivered like this (plus a CDC loop) and I spliced nothing. All plug and play other than the power taps. You will need the CD changer activated.
I ordered the BT unit but hasnt installed it yet. To many projects and too lazy.
I dont have a CDC but I have read a few people here who got it working without a CDC and did not activate it.

I hope mine will work.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ‘05 no phone or changer but have Bose

mine had no power but after clamping extra strong on the connectors, powered on and works perfectly. I did not have to activate the cd changer at all
Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I am in the same boat. I do not have a CD Changer but I did have to go nuclear strong on those clamps & mine powered on. Nuclear!!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:28 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyJ
mine had no power but after clamping extra strong on the connectors, powered on and works perfectly. I did not have to activate the cd changer at all
Originally Posted by BaileyII
I am in the same boat. I do not have a CD Changer but I did have to go nuclear strong on those clamps & mine powered on. Nuclear!!!!
I hope I get lucky. I have BOSE.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:03 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice! They updated the package.

My kit was one of the first sold and I had to splice the MOST ring.

Maybe, as mentioned by LuckyJ, the power is properly connected.

You can test the LaPower unit on the CDC port and connect directly to the battery for testing.

Here the post where I had a pic of that:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14868977
Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zettinger
You can test the LaPower unit on the CDC port and connect directly to the battery for testing.

Here the post where I had a pic of that:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14868977
I don't have a CDC, so not sure if there is a port in the frunk. I looked and couldn't find one.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

I finally got around to enabling the CD changer. I can attest enabling the CD changer is definitely required in order to get power to the LAPower module. Everything works as expected now. A friend of mine has a Durametric and while we were in there, I also coded my front side markers to blink with the turn signals. Thanks, Rennlist for all the help and advice!
Old 02-16-2019, 01:15 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
Glad to see this thread is still going strong! I think I installed mine like 1.5yrs ago and still works great. One of the best mods for the 997.1.

And yea as BaileyII said, the only issue I had with install was not going "nuclear" enough on the connectors.

I do still need to track down a ground loop. If the music is paused and the volume is up I can hear slight feedback when I step on the gas (sounds like a turbo spooling up so I kinda like it). Do other people get this, and any new tips for eliminating it? My general understanding was it was probably from powering the unit from the cigarette lighter socket instead of the PCM.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@TheBruce
You have alternator whine that can be caused by several things. Typically ripple voltage from the alternator (that causes the noise) is absorbed back into the system and battery. But if you have a poor connection in the charging system then these frequencies are not properly shunted. The power socket connection for the Lapower unit should be fine as long as you are grounded well, I would use the same ground wire that is connected to the power socket. Check that the battery cable connections are clean and tight at the alternator, battery posts, and battery cable terminal blocks. Clean the battery posts and connectors with a wire brush. Even a differece in 1 ohm can create a situation where alternator whine is a problem. The other thing that can happen is that you have a diode going bad in the alternator. Your Indy can check this for you. If you have no luck with this, you can install a capictor (in the 5 microfarad range) on the alternator. It connects between the charging output post and ground and will shunt just the higher noise frequencies. You can probably order this online or just have a car stereo shop do it. I believe you can also purchase a low pass filter to put inline with the power connection to the LaPower unit.

Last edited by Jeffblak; 02-16-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:18 PM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 22 Posts

Just finished installing the LAPower unit (a.k.a. Mr12Volt) on my 2006 911 C2S and worked flawlessly right out of the box. The updated three-pronged MOST cables make this a very straightforward install! . My 997 Turbo has the Tooki product installed and the LAPower works just as well, if not better and for much less cost! Thanks to some of the previous posters on this forum for helpful hints and photos as it helped make it a quick and easy process. It's great to have Bluetooth streaming audio and phone while keeping the OEM look! For those who are considering this ... I'd say go for it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?