Sponsored by:

Hey Petza, is this your lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Hey Petza, is this your lift?

Found this pic on Garage Journal. I couldn't help but notice the front of this car looked like Petza's.

Check out how they leveled the legs of the lift with long bolts. If you ignore the laws of physics, they don't apply...right?

I believe the comments below it are related to someone posting the pic on BendPak's website.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Iceter
Drifting

A close-up so you can see the simplicity and brilliance of the work-around. Also note how close the holes are to the edge of the slab--adding to the overall stability of the installation.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:08 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Shimming the floor to make it level would have been better. However, I think 1/4 inch grade 8 bolts hold something like 4000 lbs each.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Safe?!? It's held with nuts and it is nuts! And, as pointed out, at the very edge of the slab, probably outside the rebar cage.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:22 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Not idle for sure. Need info on materials before it can be determined if safe or not. If those bolts are in the ground and the right grade, it will hold is all I'm saying.

Would I put my car on it.. especially a Ferarri as noted in text, HELL NO!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I suspect that photo was shot as a joke. The garage is level and if not totally level, never the slope that contraption indicates.

Notice that the head of the bolts is above ground; it does not appear that those bolts were inserted in the concrete. I bet it is just a joke.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've not seen it on a car lift, but this a fairly standard practice for light posts.

Found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineer...nted_slightly/

It's a 4 post lift though. I've seen plenty that aren't anchored at all without any problems. Hell, the bend pack install manual suggests that anchoring is optional. "Step 15 (Anchoring The Columns) Proceed to Step 16 if Not Anchoring to Floor"
http://www.bendpak.com/HD-9%20VER-E-...-29-15-WEB.pdf
Old 10-16-2017, 05:05 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
I've not seen it on a car lift, but this a fairly standard practice for light posts.

Found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineer...nted_slightly/

It's a 4 post lift though. I've seen plenty that aren't anchored at all without any problems. Hell, the bend pack install manual suggests that anchoring is optional. "Step 15 (Anchoring The Columns) Proceed to Step 16 if Not Anchoring to Floor"
http://www.bendpak.com/HD-9%20VER-E-...-29-15-WEB.pdf
Because they are supposed to break away when hit by a car. Not support one.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I posted this because it is funny, if real. But to tell the truth, I don't have enough information to know if it is a real installation or not. It's possible that the owner just got the epoxy floor done and the bolts were installed just to get the pads off of the floor. In the first pic, it is clear that there is no car loaded above the Porsche.

Even so, if it IS a real installation, it's scary. As Sean pointed out, when there is an air gap with a street sign, it's meant to allow the post to break away and minimize the damage to the foundation of the post and to the vehicle that hits it, which are more important considerations than the replacement of the mounting hardware.

As for the studs and what type they are, it's not really important. That installation isn't the same as bolting the pads down to concrete. Bolting the feet down stresses the bolts in different directions than lifting the pads like the pictures show. The extra length of the bolts just adds multiple failure points for the lift--allowing the feet to potentially kick out or twist. If real, I would bet Dollars to doughnuts that no engineer (or someone with engineering know-how) signed off on that.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:36 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
Shimming the floor to make it level would have been better. However, I think 1/4 inch grade 8 bolts hold something like 4000 lbs each.
And those look to be about 1/2 inch and thus considerably greater. Multiply it by 4 and the nuts are not an issue. The lift has. 9,000 lb lift rating max which is 2250 a post. Its a static lift so no worries lifting ......now hit it with the vehicle coming in and that's a different story but would it really matter?

I keep my 5000 lb boat on a hanging boat house lift all winter and for some reason people have a problem with it ?... go figure??? But no one ever questions it hanging in the summer time......go figure !!!

Has anyone ever looked at the sq inch area of a tire sitting on their concrete garage floor?? A lift post plate is considerably greater. Yet no one ever worries about their car/ truck falling thru thier garage floor!!!
But that is the least of this guys problem..... he will need double long ramps as he will be scraping his front and rear ends as now he has twice the height to get up on the ramp

Last edited by docdrs; 10-17-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Just saw this - that is absolutely NOT my lift and that car doesn't have a RUF front bumper, but it's similar.

Mine is a Backyard Buddy with the solid posts and solid square ramp support assemblies that slide over the solid posts, all from American Made steel. It was a custom one using their 7,000 lb capacity with Extended Height option, and dual ramps on each side so the track is narrow enough for the 914 and wide enough for the Wakeboard Boat trailer. My lift sits on the large iron pads, but does have the optional caster kit where i can move it within the garage.

That Bendpack is an open channel post lift of similar design to the cheaper Chinese ones that have the channels sometimes collapse under load - though I've not seen a Bendpak brand one that this has happened to - Bendpak users seem very happy with their lifts. Here are some photos of my setup being used for various tasks.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is a Backyard Buddy with the solid posts and solid square ramp support assemblies that slide over the solid posts, all from American Made steel. It was a custom one using their 7,000 lb capacity with Extended Height option, and dual ramps on each side so the track is narrow enough for the 914 and wide enough for the Wakeboard Boat trailer.
I have the exact same lift as Pete...Backyard Buddy. I love it and it's All-American!
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petza914
Just saw this - that is absolutely NOT my lift and that car doesn't have a RUF front bumper, but it's similar.
I was just kidding about it being your car--but good job taking the opportunity to show off your fleet.

Not that I mind, I love looking at your cars--even the pink one.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I was just kidding about it being your car--but good job taking the opportunity to show off your fleet.

Not that I mind, I love looking at your cars--even the pink one.
LOL - forgot one

Thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 04:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Those Backyard Buddy lifts are great!

Quick Reply: Hey Petza, is this your lift?