Sponsored by:

997.2 common costs 30k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:34 PM
halperin45
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 common costs 30k miles

Hi, curious what are some of the more common problems that may come to the 997.2 after 30k miles. I have a 2011 C2S with 31k miles and am starting to think about perhaps what future maintenance costs I should be anticipating. I guess Im a little nervous too now that the warranty is out. I'm pretty sure there is nothing specific to these cars that is a major problem but just figured Id ask.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

2010 C4S ... I bought mine 3 years ago with 35K miles. I'm now at 103K miles. See the attached photo for maintenance costs. FWIW, this list includes some upgrades as well a maintenance. I still have a few oil filters in the tool box. Some oil went to other cars. So the total is a bit high.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2017, 08:03 PM
halperin45
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice record keeping there. man 22k miles a year? thats a ton lol. 3100 in tires alone there. overall doesnt seem too bad though, just the basics there.

i assume you do your own oil changes.ive done my own without even jacking the car up heh
Old 10-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May have to change out the high pressure fuel pump at some time My 09 has 75,000 miles on it and has needed 4 new fuel pumps that I know of.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:23 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I also have a 2011 997.2S. I guestimated that I've spent 20 K all in - insurance, gas, maintenance, oil changes, PPF, etc. In the time I've owned it, 3.5 years and 36 K miles on my watch, a battery died on me, HPFP failed and twice the cup holder has to be replaced. The latter items happened under warranty. Best money I've ever invested!
T
Old 10-15-2017, 12:28 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

The 40K service is a pretty big one and its pricey. I just had mine done on my 2009 C4S at the dealer and it was 2300. Thats new sparkplugs, oil and filter, brake fluid flush and fill, air filter, pollen filter, plus the serpentine belt. Indy would have been a bit less but in this area the Indies are almost as much as the dealer now for labor rates. Besides that in one year of ownership I replaced the battery and added Fabspeed X pipe and FVD tune, coca mats, and Numeric shifter. Have the cables too but have not put them on. Had a warranty claim for 500 deductible from me for coolant leak that was a 3200 repair. Carmax warranty covered it at the dealer. Oh and a frunk switch was replaced too. Darn! New wipers as well. I'd rather not add that all up. But who cares, its fun, that why I went to school to get a BSEE and MSEE. To get fun things.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by halperin45
Hi, curious what are some of the more common problems that may come to the 997.2 after 30k miles. I have a 2011 C2S with 31k miles and am starting to think about perhaps what future maintenance costs I should be anticipating. I guess Im a little nervous too now that the warranty is out. I'm pretty sure there is nothing specific to these cars that is a major problem but just figured Id ask.
Seems like water pump failure around 40K miles is not uncommon. Mine went at 43K miles on the -09 C4S and took the serpentine belt with it. Total cost of repair was $1,200 as I recall it. Aftermarket extended warranty covered it.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
The 40K service is a pretty big one and its pricey. I just had mine done on my 2009 C4S at the dealer and it was 2300. Thats new sparkplugs, oil and filter, brake fluid flush and fill, air filter, pollen filter, plus the serpentine belt. Indy would have been a bit less but in this area the Indies are almost as much as the dealer now for labor rates. Besides that in one year of ownership I replaced the battery and added Fabspeed X pipe and FVD tune, coca mats, and Numeric shifter. Have the cables too but have not put them on. Had a warranty claim for 500 deductible from me for coolant leak that was a 3200 repair. Carmax warranty covered it at the dealer. Oh and a frunk switch was replaced too. Darn! New wipers as well. I'd rather not add that all up. But who cares, its fun, that why I went to school to get a BSEE and MSEE. To get fun things.

That's about twice the going rate in many states. Where are you located? I just had an Porsche indy do spark plugs for 340 dollars including labor.

For your coolant leak did they replace the whole expansion tank?

Edit: Just saw your in DC, if you can avoid Porsche of Arlington - they charged me almost that exact price for my 40k major service about 6 years ago. Intersport at Tysons might be a better option, but that area is very high.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you, great posting. It is also great to see that you are putting mileage on the car! I bought my 2016 with 1,975 miles on it in Mid August and I just passed 7500. Plan on taking it for a cross country trip early next Summer. It came with a 5 Year 100,000 mile warranty when they tacked on the CPO on top of the original existing warranty.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 AM
db997gts
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

2011 997.2 gts with 32k, passenger side window regulator $500, battery $275, high pressure fuel pump $1500, passenger front tpms not fix yet, plus regular maintenance of brake flush, spark plugs, tires, oil etc......overall not bad for a high performance daily driver.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

FWIW, I got my HPFP covered under goodwill. Make Porsche pay for those dang things. They know it is a problem and will cover it if you are a decently long standing customer and have a service history with a local dealer. DFI places so much pressure on those fuels pumps. It is not just a unique problem with Porsche.

Dealer do charge a bit more for services, but I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have saved money, serious money, by having a great relationship with my dealers in various cities. If you ever have s serious problem down the road, you will be glad you did not cheap out on $50 here or $100 there by doing services through an independent.

Case in point, my HPFP and a belt tensioner was covered by goodwill last month while you guys going independent route would be out about $1,750 for both. They will not goodwill for you if you only using them to cover expensive repairs, but cheaping out on your services elsewhere. Why should they? I literally have had 3 transmissions and an engine covered throughout the years with nasty over revs on cars sitting on slicks or Hoosiers with data loggers, harnesses and one had lexan windows . . .

I have used independents on my older stuff though because they are generally more knowledgeable about older air cooled stuff, but don't be penny wise pound foolish if you have a modern water pumper. One, however, has to carefully filter the while we are in there recommendations, but these are easy to filter or do not arise once you have a good relationship with the service techs.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:26 AM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is somewhat reassuring to realize that I am not alone in having experienced high maintenance costs. I have a 2009 S cab bought with 19k 4 years ago and now with 61k.

Any cost analysis needs to factor in 1) are you a DIY 2) do you live in the snow belt as these significantly impact your costs. Since I don't wrench and live in the Northeast, my costs approximate 20k over 4 years. That includes oil service every 5k miles, 2 sets of wheels and tires with paid storage, Fister exhaust, painted center console, HPFP at 55k , a 2200 dol item, a respray of the front bumper and hood when I decided to keep the car at 59k miles. Included are worn tire replacements. It adds up!

It has not been cheap to own this car but I have been smiling every day ( This is my only car) and have no regrets.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Parts needed replacing excluding consumables

997.2 C2S Cab. (excluding consumables and realls such as HPFP etc.)
Dates / Miles
Part / Part Number

03/26/10 122
AOS 9A1-107-040-00

04/05/12 17554
Seat Belt Assembly Front driver side replaced

12/02/13 38145
Waterpump 9A1-106-048-01

10/29/14 43236
Replaced Interior front trunk release switch 997-613-105-02-A05

10/21/15 51614
Both rear struts suspension replaced 997-333-053-30
Replaced leaking steering rack 997-347-011-JX
Old 10-15-2017, 01:06 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

For your coolant leak did they replace the whole expansion tank?
It was not the tank, it was the pipe between the water pump and the thermostat housing. I got a new plastic pipe and the gaskets and the bolts. Lots of things have to come off to get at it. Most of it was labor. I had seepage around the joint where the pipe met the t stat housing. I had a 500 dollar deductible and the CarMax warrenty covered the the rest. Thanks Doug DeMuro! The warranty cost me 2100 and the repair was over 3K. So I'm ahead already. But yes labor rates for the better Indy shops in DC are near dealer prices, at that point I'll go to the dealer. As others have pointed out if you establish a good relationship with them then at times you can get goodwill repairs done. Indies don't do that. I was going to get sway bars a while back and since I have a 4S I knew that you need an alignment afterwards. My Indy said that no, he can just use chalk marks to line it back up......ummmm no you can't. Most indies don;t have the alignment machines or the force balance machines for things like that with alignments and tires. Those are expensive items for them. So for some things, like a exhaust install, sure I will use them but not much past that. Somebody mentioned Intersport, uhhhhh no thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
FWIW, I got my HPFP covered under goodwill. Make Porsche pay for those dang things. They know it is a problem and will cover it if you are a decently long standing customer and have a service history with a local dealer. DFI places so much pressure on those fuels pumps. It is not just a unique problem with Porsche.

Dealer do charge a bit more for services, but I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have saved money, serious money, by having a great relationship with my dealers in various cities. If you ever have s serious problem down the road, you will be glad you did not cheap out on $50 here or $100 there by doing services through an independent.

Case in point, my HPFP and a belt tensioner was covered by goodwill last month while you guys going independent route would be out about $1,750 for both. They will not goodwill for you if you only using them to cover expensive repairs, but cheaping out on your services elsewhere. Why should they? I literally have had 3 transmissions and an engine covered throughout the years with nasty over revs on cars sitting on slicks or Hoosiers with data loggers, harnesses and one had lexan windows . . .

I have used independents on my older stuff though because they are generally more knowledgeable about older air cooled stuff, but don't be penny wise pound foolish if you have a modern water pumper. One, however, has to carefully filter the while we are in there recommendations, but these are easy to filter or do not arise once you have a good relationship with the service techs.
Right on. I've used the local dealer for all maintenance and repairs on all three 997's. Yes they are more expensive and I've tipped generously but what I've gotten back in the form of various goodwill gestures probably amounts to tenfold what's come out of my pocket. Repairs taken care of that weren't covered, parts not charged for that should have been charged for, best loaner cars and I could go on.

Quick Reply: 997.2 common costs 30k miles