Sponsored by:

Tachometer Choppy

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Instarand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer Choppy

The tachometer on my 2010 C2S intermittently operates very choppy. It usually goes back to normal after 20-30 minutes of driving. Sometimes it’ll go weeks without happening, then out of nowhere I’ll start it up in the morning and it operates this way for a while. Hard to capture on video. But the needle basically seems to move in 100 rpm increments. Only while revs are climbing though. On the way down when I take off the gas its smooth. Tried to capture on this video. Anybody experience anything like this?

car is CPO but the issue is every time it happens and I bring it to the dealer, by the time I get there the needle is being smooth. They can’t reproduce it and don’t see a smoking gun anywhere to make a warranty claim. Frustrating. Something is definitely going on though.

tried my best to capture video.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,158 Likes on 3,924 Posts

I've never seen that before. If it turns out you need a new cluster and the .1s and .2s with MT use the same cluster (and your car is a MT) I have a nice one with black gauge faces available. I think I may have it also listed in the marketplace.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:23 AM
Myren
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its almost like its rubbing up against something in the back. I would take that thing apart just to see if anything is visibly broken, but thats just me
Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

That is weird........ I had something similar in my 2000 Boxster S.... when in winter, cold, the thing would tick.... My dealer and indy both thought I was nutz. I thought it was like the old systems of a spinning cable etc.... but it was not.... and it did jump a bit with the ticks.

I gave up and accepted it.... put it on the list of "charm" items. I don;t remember exactly, but it started after a few years of ownership and did it all the way through to its 197K miles... never got worse, only happened when cold..... but not always.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Tachometer Choppy