Sponsored by:

Dascam and valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dascam and valet parking

So I never, ever valet my car, partly because it's a MT, and, well, I don't trust anyone.

I found out I'm going to be driving to a resort in Carlsbad that only has valet parking options- so I'm looking for something to deter shenanigans that might happen and figured a visible dash-cam stuck in an obvious manner would do the trick. Thoughts?

Dashcams feature "auto-on" - is this through detection of motion or is it from switched power source? Was thinking about plugging it in to the passenger footwell socket- is it switched with the ignition?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
So I never, ever valet my car, partly because it's a MT, and, well, I don't trust anyone.

I found out I'm going to be driving to a resort in Carlsbad that only has valet parking options- so I'm looking for something to deter shenanigans that might happen and figured a visible dash-cam stuck in an obvious manner would do the trick. Thoughts?

Dashcams feature "auto-on" - is this through detection of motion or is it from switched power source? Was thinking about plugging it in to the passenger footwell socket- is it switched with the ignition?
When I drove my 996 Turbo to the Four Seasons Hotel in Palo Alto, CA I gave the valet $10 to park the car in one of the reserved spots right in front of the hotel. The valet drove the car maybe 6 car lengths from the hotel entrance to its parking space. Gave him $10 when it was time to leave.

A visible dashcam can be circumvented. Unplugged. Covered up. Even if the camera is working having a video of any damage won't undo any damage if the valet bangs up the car or the car is damaged after the valet leaves it parked.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

No such thing as "only has valet parking options". Talk to the resort manager and insist you want to self park even if there is an additional cost.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

park offsite and take an Uber
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

1: you can tell the valet that your insurance company absolutely forbids anyone else from driving your car (It would work on a Bugatti, but you might get laughed at in a plain vanilla 911)

2: I live in Carlsbad. You could park it at my house (I'll even loan you my car cover) and I could drop you off/pick you up (assuming you don't need the car during your stay).
Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Cattywampus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
You could park it at my house (I'll even loan you my car cover) and I could drop you off/pick you up (assuming you don't need the car during your stay).
You’re a good man Charlie Brown!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:02 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

When I’m worried about valet I take a pic of mileage right in front of them. Never had a problem. Always ask if they can drive a manual and don’t mind parking myself.

Most cameras can be hard wired to fire up when ignition on. Should record most problems.

Only issue I ever had was a car being broken into while in valet. They tried to say their sign said not responsible but they soon realized posting a sign does not mean the same thing as not legally responsible. They paid for everything.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:10 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE

2: I live in Carlsbad. You could park it at my house (I'll even loan you my car cover) and I could drop you off/pick you up (assuming you don't need the car during your stay).[/QUOTE]

Sir- that’s a really fine offer, and I appreciate it. I’ll call ahead to the resort and see if I can work something out with them- and if I can’t, I might take you up on your offer- at least for the parking space and uber over

By the way I’ll be staying overnight on the 19th at the Hyatt Aviara.

Last edited by mreloc; 10-13-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I've had luck in being able to ride with the valet. He had to drive for insurance purposes at the hotel, but they were fine with that. I've also said I was fine paying the valet rate but would like to park it myself where they could keep an eye on it, which some also were OK with.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lordy
Old 10-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
lordy
Not sure what "lordy" means, but if you think we're being silly about valet services and our cars, you should make it a point to hang out somewhere within earshot of the valets when they're talking amongst themselves. I've heard about the 30 foot burnout they did in this guys hellcat, or the one I watched drive an automatic Chevy Malibu directly up over a curb into another parked car because he was new and didn't know there was a curb in that area of the parking lot, or just this week, where one said his radio paged him which distracted him and he forget to put the Maserati he was bringing to the front for the owner into park before getting out, and then had to chase it down to get it stopped.

Sorry, but no valet is driving any of my P-cars. I don't even like to give them my 16 year old pickup - rental cars only.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, but no valet is driving any of my P-cars. I don't even like to give them my 16 year old pickup - rental cars only.
Amen to that! If valet is the only parking option, we take the Outback.

Went to a local restaurant this past summer in the Carrera S. They had recently switched to valet only parking in the evening. Told the wife to hop out and go get our table and some wine. Went home and switched cars. I hate valets!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:14 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,632 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Trouble with valets is you dont know what you are getting - responsible driver or 18yo azzhat.

Mrs & I went to a hotel for dinner. Asked the azzhat (you would say the same if you saw him) if I could park it myself in that spot right there - sure.

As I was walking past him into the hotel he informed me that I had to leave my keys. Nope.

Which brings up the issue of an immobilizer, which I think its time to look into again.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

I think the valet joyride scene in the movie "Ferris Bueller Day Off" back in 1986 tarnished the perception people have on valet services. I actually quite enjoy valet services.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:17 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE

2: I live in Carlsbad. You could park it at my house (I'll even loan you my car cover) and I could drop you off/pick you up (assuming you don't need the car during your stay).
Sir- that’s a really fine offer, and I appreciate it. I’ll call ahead to the resort and see if I can work something out with them- and if I can’t, I might take you up on your offer- at least for the parking space and uber over

By the way I’ll be staying overnight on the 19th at the Hyatt Aviara.[/QUOTE]

I should be home on the 19th. PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
Regards, Bob

Quick Reply: Dascam and valet parking