Sponsored by:

Wife and tire pressures and general car abuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:26 AM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wife and tire pressures and general car abuse

First things, I rarely drive my wife's cayenne and this is a bit of a venting session...

But anyway, we took it to a school fundraiser this last weekend because we needed to bring many of the supplies as we are the sponsors. I load up the back and get us all loaded and hop into the drivers side. Start the car and right in front of me is the yellow tps light and showing -6!! I look over to her with the wtf-face and I can see she realized the mistake in me being in the car. And she just says it came on that morning. -6 in one day I should believe. Coming from the person who tells me when she feels each slip and has me check treads. She then gets to hear about how she of all the soccer/school moms should understand and appreciate tire pressures. Driving around under inflated...Drives me bananas

This is also right after the last couple weeks of a bottle of bourbon breaking in the back seat (birthday present gone wrong), something bouncing up on the highway and leading to a fairly large scratch, and the best - took day off to wash all cars and hang out and as I went to wash her wheels I get the "have to tell you something", followed by the story of a spider distracting her, her hitting the wall on the driveway and the mother of all wheel curbs. Ugh. Not her best couple of weeks...

Thanks for allowing the catharsis of a good venting...
Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

every day she must say......"why me god....what did i do....."
Old 10-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think you need perspective.

It is much easier to trade in or repair a car than it is to trade in a wife or repair a marriage.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:48 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't know where you live but I've seen a -6 psi change with outside temp changes (for example 80 in Denver on Saturday and in the low 30's today). I'd be more concerned about low oil or a CEL
Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,634 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I feel your pain. I have three kids (and a wife), the youngest of which just started driving a year ago.

I constantly watch their tires and periodically air them up. Safety. And dont want to buy new tires every 5,000 miles x four cars. UGH!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you could have a nail or something, thats why they put tpms on cars, to tell you the pressure went down
Old 10-09-2017, 02:24 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some interesting replies. Not really sure how a quick vent on a couple rough car weeks turns into marriage problems. No nails, or significant enough weather changes. Just must have been a slow move and just tripped enough to be the warning. All were a few low though with the one the main culprit.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, my wife does the same with our ML350.

This past winter she literally launched the car off a curb that she "didn't see" because she thought "it was just a pile of snow in the middle of the parking lot".

May as well have installed an air horn that plays "Dixie" the way we caught air.

Oh, and the door dings. And the scratches on the hood when she puts her purse down on it. And the coffee stains on the center console.

The things we put up with in the name of love.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:17 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Not a wife, done with that, but my last three year live in girlfriend. The trick was an older Rogue and I just check tires visually once a week and pressure every other. It just simply wasn't her thing and I learned not to get frustrated after the first 18 month. As for the scratches ... well it wasn't a Porsche.

In the end I felt good knowing I was keeping her safe and it was a good car for the kids to learn to detail on.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You’re not alone my friend. My wife has hit the lift in our garage three times with her Cayenne in the same spot. One more trip to the body shop and and I get a free sub.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:46 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Don't know where you live but I've seen a -6 psi change with outside temp changes (for example 80 in Denver on Saturday and in the low 30's today). I'd be more concerned about low oil or a CEL
Also a Denver resident, and drove my wife's X3 into the office today because I still haven't put winter tires on the Carrera. All four of TPMS read low this morning when they were all fine yesterday. That is what a 50 degree day-over-day temperature swing will do I guess .

In all seriousness, I see a +/- 6 psi swing from cold start to operating temperature on a daily basis on my 911. So, it is indeed possible that TPMS warning light did in fact just activate due in the last couple of days due to the changing weather. As far as all of the other issues go, at a certain point you have to accept that some people will just never car about cars to the extent that we do. Doesn't mean they are a bad person / spouse. It is just up to us to check up on the state of their vehicles periodically for their safety. That and just get used to the fact that there we'll always be making a lease payment to keep them in a new CUV for them every ~3 years
Old 10-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Cattywampus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
The trick was an older Rogue and I just check tires visually once a week and pressure every other. It just simply wasn't her thing and I learned not to get frustrated
This. Every time I think about a cayenne or a Macan, I take a glimpse of our base model, dinged to hell, Cheerio-ridden, formula-stained, battle wagon of a people mover that is our 2011 Honda Pilot and say, ‘hey there u beautiful old girl’
Old 10-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaskfri
I think you need perspective.

It is much easier to trade in or repair a car than it is to trade in a wife or repair a marriage.
Nah . . . lots of fish in the sea. Car is way more important than a good wife, much less a bad wife.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:44 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

r_32... My best advice, apologize now, and tell the wife you're sorry! Then, smooth things over with roses.
T
Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Any issues with pouring white wine in the red wine glasses? Or using the salad fork for an entree? The nerve of some people.

-td

Quick Reply: Wife and tire pressures and general car abuse