Sponsored by:

Driver's side int door handle and window issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Driver's side int door handle and window issue

Opened my door from the inside and heard a pop. Now handle has a 1/2 inch of "play" and doesn't return tight to the door panel and the window won't reliably go up to the top when you close the door (it usually will if I push the handle in all the way).

Seems to me something in the latch broke resulting in less than normal tension on the door handle and poor detection of close position to close window.

Just the microswitch or the whole latch?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:30 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Common issue. The spring is "mounted" to a very thin plastic piece. That piece snapped.

Read this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ont-go-up.html
Old 10-05-2017, 10:42 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

That's it! Good thing I just got a tone of practice R&R the door panel replacing the passenger side regulator. . Thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 AM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
That's it! Good thing I just got a tone of practice R&R the door panel replacing the passenger side regulator. . Thanks!
Don't do what I did: door handle with 1/2" play was rattling and annoying me on my drive, so I put some tape on to hold it still.
When tape removed, peeled some of the paint from the plastic surround.
Why Porsche painted the black plastic trim, we'll never know.
But I sure would like to meet the guy responsible...
Old 10-06-2017, 01:45 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by devioustrap
Common issue. The spring is "mounted" to a very thin plastic piece. That piece snapped.

Read this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ont-go-up.html
Some old info in that link. Its a cheap 30-40 minute job. You do not need to get the cable part that goes to the lock. If you look at post #4 in the above link, you buy the piece that broke and take the new half (top part) and put on the old bottom part (the part that goes to the door lock.) Yes you have to rewind the tension spring but it saves you $$$ and time. They redisigned the bottom half and if you use it, you have to run a new cable to the lock....so take the new bottom half and shelve it.

I bought my car with this broken thinking it would be a few hundred. My friend is a senior Porsche tech told be about the work around and said, 'when you get the new part and the old broken part in front of you.....you will figure it out'.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:06 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Deleted

Last edited by cosm3os; 10-13-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Order part from Suncoast Parts Part # PK9X76546. Remove driver side door panel and install new door handle axle by watching YouTube videos of 1 how to replace speaker which gives detailed video instructions of removing the door panel and 2 video of replacing door handle axle. YouTube has step by step for removing door panel and axle installation guide.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:01 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Well, that went pear-shaped. Good advice, poor execution. I undid the 3 screws that hold the old axle on the inner panel. Went to get a tool to push the pin out of the hole that holds the top in the door. Door card falls, pin breaks off old part, no old "top half" to add new "bottom half" to!

Before I start replacing the cable, anyone have an idea how I can get an old style axle?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:40 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyghost230
Don't do what I did: door handle with 1/2" play was rattling and annoying me on my drive, so I put some tape on to hold it still.
When tape removed, peeled some of the paint from the plastic surround.
Why Porsche painted the black plastic trim, we'll never know.
But I sure would like to meet the guy responsible...
That's why I bit the bullet and replaced the inner door handle bezel with a leather covered one. Lot's of work but it looks marvelous. Why didn't Porsche include this in their "full leather" upgrade is beyond me.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i

That's why I bit the bullet and replaced the inner door handle bezel with a leather covered one. Lot's of work but it looks marvelous. Why didn't Porsche include this in their "full leather" upgrade is beyond me.
Or go Carbon - replaced my full leather with carbon from DB-Carbon (and some other bits!)

Matt

Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 PM
AmericanPupusa
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a video of the door panel removal when I had to replace the lock mechanism since the micro switch had gone bad. It's a long video because it's very thorough.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

very useful video, thank you

Quick Reply: Driver's side int door handle and window issue