Sponsored by:

CPO and Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:22 AM
max540i
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CPO and Spark Plugs

So I bought a CPO'd 2009 C4S Cabriolet last November w/ 22k miles. Yesterday, I took it to same dealer for 30k service, they told me service records indicate that the spark plugs have never been changed and recommendation is that they be changed at 4 years. Given this recommendation, seems to me that the plugs should have been replaced at time of CPO. Opinions?
Old 10-03-2017, 12:49 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by max540i
So I bought a CPO'd 2009 C4S Cabriolet last November w/ 22k miles. Yesterday, I took it to same dealer for 30k service, they told me service records indicate that the spark plugs have never been changed and recommendation is that they be changed at 4 years. Given this recommendation, seems to me that the plugs should have been replaced at time of CPO. Opinions?

Very interesting.......and good question about CPO if thats what they are saying.......but really , its a garage queen so why worry! The worry warts will say the plugs may seize with time so you should change them so its your call. If its been stored at a nominal humidity then I doubt that......but due to paranoia may be you should. There is no right or wrong, just opinions on this board.

Personally I would as they are 8 years old, and just because I cold do it myself with little effort on a garage queen. But thats just my opinion of the many you will get. Let the fun begin. Oh wait better yet is... why would you not replace them after 8 years.......because i still have my original plugs in my high performance ski boat that is also a 2009......and I run the **** out of that baby at wot all the time without hesitation and pull the plugs every fall to winterize it. Are you confused yet? i am
Old 10-03-2017, 01:04 AM
max540i
Instructor

Yeah, I read the thread "When do you need to replace spark plugs?", in general, rather than think too much, i tend to follow the manual. However, at this point, i'm more concerned about the principle. Should they have been replaced by the dealer at CPO?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM
danilonovelli
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 09 S with 22k miles as well... because I love to work on the car I did change the spark plugs... original ones were fine and car behaves the same on new spark plugs - btw, I used Bosch and cost me like $50... so peace of mind in my case... all of this to say, you should be fine as you are

having said that, I did find 2 coils with hairline cracks... I replaced alll 6 with Beru ones - cheaper than Porsche and guess what, same as Porsche uses... they were not affecting normal operation of the car, but they could have in time... so I did

cheers
Old 10-03-2017, 10:41 AM
tooslow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced the same with my CPO 2011 C4S last August. The selling dealer did not change the plugs when I bought the car with 12,000 miles.

Since Porsche recommends to change them based on mileage or at 4 years, I reached out to the dealer and they paid for the spark plug change at my local dealer.

Excellent service from both.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeah, I read the thread "When do you need to replace spark plugs?", in general, rather than think too much, i tend to follow the manual. However, at this point, i'm more concerned about the principle. Should they have been replaced by the dealer at CPO?
They should have replaced them as part of the CPO as Porsche states that they should be done every 4 years. The dealer replaced mine at the 4 year mark even though it only had 18k miles.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM
white rock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got all mine replaced under CPO
Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 PM
max540i
Instructor

I guess i'll "reach out", if nothing else it will be a good test of the dealership / Porsche experience ... thanks for all the input ...
Old 10-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Indeed, if the maintenance schedule call for the plugs to be replaced before the car was sold to you, the dealer should have replaced them. Having said that, I just recently replace the plugs on my 2008 C2S at about 27k miles ( nearly 9 yrs old). The car ran well before and runs well after the plugs were replaced. The tech said the plugs looked good. I do replace the oil and filter every year (~3k miles) and the brake fluid every two years but with plugs, I would focus more on the mileage. If I drove my car in rain and snow, I am sure I would have needed to replace the ignition coils sooner as they are made from glass filled polyester and that material hydrolyses ( mine are always dry).
Old 10-03-2017, 02:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I guess i'll "reach out", if nothing else it will be a good test of the dealership / Porsche experience ... thanks for all the input ...
I don't think plugs would have been covered under the original factory warranty. Also, my CPO warranty info specifically excludes plugs. So I'm not sure there's a definitive "yes or no" answer - you're right in that this will be a good test of the dealership. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by white rock
Just got all mine replaced under CPO
Bravo ! Especially since Porsche CPO "does not cover... the replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as... spark plugs)" unless there is a defect in material or workmanship.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I don't think plugs would have been covered under the original factory warranty. Also, my CPO warranty info specifically excludes plugs. So I'm not sure there's a definitive "yes or no" answer - you're right in that this will be a good test of the dealership. Good luck.
You've missed the point. Of course plugs are not part of warranty service. They are, however, part of bringing a car's service up to date which occurs any time you purchase a car from a dealer who is CPOing it- they should have been replaced at that time.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Perhaps they were changed, but whoever is trying to charge you for the service again is not seeing this in your records. They might have to call the dealer performing the major service to obtain those records. If not performed, ask the CPO dealer to pay for or contact Porsche NA.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:29 PM
max540i
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
Perhaps they were changed, but whoever is trying to charge you for the service again is not seeing this in your records. They might have to call the dealer performing the major service to obtain those records.
The dealer that did the CPO and the dealer doing the service are one in the same
Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

The dealer that did the CPO and the dealer doing the service are one in the same
Another dealer could have performed the spark plug change or major service. The service manager just wants your $$$s and would have to check again with dealer performing the service as those records may not be in his system.

My major was performed at a Porsche dealership in a different city, but my local dealer had to call them to confirm that because it does not show up on their screen.

I dunno, just trying to figure that one out. They should pay for this service or I would get Porsche NA involved if that service was due time wise when the car was certified.

Quick Reply: CPO and Spark Plugs