Sponsored by:

Wheel locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:18 PM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheel locks

I purchased a 2011 c2 with aftermarket wheel locks--I've been told they are mcgaurds. The previous owner stored the lock in the armrest and the registration zsticker was on the inside cover of the owners manual. I didn't think it was a good idea to keep both these in the car, but of course I never got around to moving the sticker. Last week someone broke into the car and took the wheel lock and the owner's manual and everything else they could get their hands on. I've gone to the dealership and they told me my only option is to have them drill them off, and they are 100% certain that they will damage the wheel in the process--possibly to the point they might have to be replaced. They also quoted me $200 per wheel. I've been to four tire stores and have essentially been told the same thing. I also called mcgaurds and the will not sell me a key, even if I furnish then with evidence that I have the locks on the car. I'd like some opinions on options. I can either proceed with having the locks cut off, or I was thinking I can keep ordering sets until I get the right key--returning all the sets that don't work. Thought?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:37 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

It seems like a problem that could be solved by a good machine shop. If you can transfer the pattern from the inside of the wheel lock, the key could be machined from a solid metal rod. You could do this from a photo, take a trace/rubbing, use clay to get an impression. I would use a photo to get the shape, and then get the scale right by measuring the inside of the lock with micrometers.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:55 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Or take your best guess at a matching key then use a Dremel on the key to make it fit.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some vids on youtube showing different methods. This one looks promising:

I have lost a key for this before, but mine were like a house key - we drilled it out then put a smaller very snug socket on top and hammered it into place to get it off. Looks like the McGuards have a spinning outer piece that make this method ineffective.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:19 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyghost230
There are some vids on youtube showing different methods. This one looks promising: https://youtu.be/Zu04B46kW9A

I have lost a key for this before, but mine were like a house key - we drilled it out then put a smaller very snug socket on top and hammered it into place to get it off. Looks like the McGuards have a spinning outer piece that make this method ineffective.
Good luck.
After watching this I wonder why anyone uses security lug bolts - what a pain. If a thief wants your wheels, he'll find a way to defeat the security or leave a damaged wheel behind. I've heard before too that the McGard heads can break off - what a mess that would be.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you can call mcgard and send them a pic and they should be able to send the key
Old 09-23-2017, 08:59 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
He said he tried that...no go.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:34 PM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Quick update

I ordered several sets of the mcgaurds locking lug nuts from Amazon and on the third try had a key that was not a direct match but with a lot of careful effort allowed me to get the lug nuts off the car. I will say, after hearing all the stories from the tire shop guys about how these wheel locks fail,can be bypassed by thieves or damage the rims, I've decided to take all the locks off my cars. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:52 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

When i bought my car it didn't come with the key. I just put a 17mm on it, beat it on with a hammer and it was enough to get them off. It ruins the socket and the key but who cares. The keys are worthless anyway if you can do this.

No damage to wheels, only socket and key.

My key didn't look like the one in the YouTube link above though so might not work it your key looks like the one in the vid.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

This is all you need......

Use the ones on the left, hold straight and use a heavy hammer and sledge it into place with a couple of good blows. Then start turning... that is how we get them out when customers roll in without a key.

We need to start charging for this...

http://cyoum84abk-flywheel.netdna-ss...ut-sockets.jpg
Old 09-28-2017, 09:54 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I have no idea why people keep these traps on their cars. First thing I do when I get a new car which has these type of lock nuts is order replacement lugs then pitch the lock nuts. Nobody steals wheels/tires anymore - very rare. More problems with losing the damn lock nut.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I did exactly this a few years ago. They sold me the correct key for the photo I sent. Maybe they have changed policy? I would try again.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:54 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

My brother just bought an '18 Honda Ridgeline and it came (dealer installed) with wheels locks. The dealership failed to include the original lug nuts (4) and the wheel lock key as part of the purchase. He took it back the next day and had them remove the locks and install 4 new lug nuts. I hate wheel locks and do not use them. The only people they keep from taking wheels off the car is the owner.

Quick Reply: Wheel locks