Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car seats in 997.2 Cab (solved - with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:41 AM
ScootsS
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car seats in 997.2 Cab (solved - with pics!)

Trying to repay back all of the good advice I've gotten here by sharing my experience with car seats in the back of a 997.2 cab.

My 3 year old daughter is in a
Diono Radian XT Diono Radian XT
. This has a narrower base than most car seats which makes in good for the rear seats of the porsche. ($234 on amazon as of writing)

My 5 year old son is in a Harmony Deluxe Dreamtime booster seat. ($40 from amazon as of writing)

In the pics, the booster is behind the driver (I'm 6') and the Radian is behind the passenger. Even though my son is taller, the Radian has a thicker backrest so it is better on the passenger side.

Hope this helps someone else who is trying to find away to make their 911 a "family car."

Old 09-23-2017, 12:15 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Awesome......911 Family car ��. I like it
Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 PM
whiskey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this! Did you take out the back/bottom seat cushions? Seat belt installation? I take it that its snug enough that it doesnt move more than an inch? I've read in the past that ppl used a towel on the sides to prevent it from moving.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by ScootsS
Trying to repay back all of the good advice I've gotten here by sharing my experience with car seats in the back of a 997.2 cab.

My 3 year old daughter is in a Diono Radian XT. This has a narrower base than most car seats which makes in good for the rear seats of the porsche. ($234 on amazon as of writing)

My 5 year old son is in a Harmony Deluxe Dreamtime booster seat. ($40 from amazon as of writing)

In the pics, the booster is behind the driver (I'm 6') and the Radian is behind the passenger. Even though my son is taller, the Radian has a thicker backrest so it is better on the passenger side.

Hope this helps someone else who is trying to find away to make their 911 a "family car."

Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 AM
ScootsS
Advanced

I take out the bottom cushions when the kids are in. Haven't tried to remove the rear seat backs.

The diono is attached by the seat belt (no latch on the cab) and I can get it pretty snug, no towel required.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:03 PM
AboEnzo Nsouli
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
I am on the market for a 997 and was struggling with a cab vs coupe with kid space in mind.
Is this your primary car?
How does it do in cold/hot weather?

Mine will be my daily driver and I am “worried” about living with a cab in Northern va where we have 4 proper seasons.

Thoughts?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 AM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the post! I have a kid nearing 3yrs and having been wondering about this. I also have a coupe which should have a tiny bit more room right?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

The situation in the coupe vs the cab is slightly different as I understand it because the cab seats angle forward a bit to accommodate the roll bars. There are a few posts in this forum where folks give specific coupe advice.

What the cab does help with is that it is MUCH easier to get everyone strapped in with the top down. I basically always put down the top when I'm taking the kids in and out.

This isn't my daily driver and the car is new to me so I can't comment on 4 season reliability, but there are plenty of guys on here that will tell you can and should drive it every day!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 PM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

The situation in the coupe vs the cab is slightly different as I understand it because the cab seats angle forward a bit to accommodate the roll bars. There are a few posts in this forum where folks give specific coupe advice.

What the cab does help with is that it is MUCH easier to get everyone strapped in with the top down. I basically always put down the top when I'm taking the kids in and out.

This isn't my daily driver and the car is new to me so I can't comment on 4 season reliability, but there are plenty of guys on here that will tell you can and should drive it every day!
Great point about the Cab being easier to maneuver kids in and out!

I know it's on the pricey side, but does anyone have the Porsche seats? They are designed to fit seamlessly right?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:36 PM
PGrasshopper
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a Diono Radian 3RXT after seeing this. I confirmed with Diono that they are the same size dimensionally as the other Radians. I popped the bottom cushion out and went to work.

The seat for some reason doesn't even seem like it will be close to fitting. When I used the seat belt guide, it pulls the whole seat at a funky angle and I cannot get the seat belt very tight.

I have no idea how to make this work. Any suggestions?

I have a 997.2 Carrera S Cabriolet (2011 model year).

Our two year old is dying to ride in daddy's race car-

My 3 year old daughter is in a Diono Radian XT. This has a narrower base than most car seats which makes in good for the rear seats of the porsche. ($234 on amazon as of writing)

Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Nick97
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Grasshopper,

I posted this in another thread, and thought I would share it here too for you and future parents looking for a good solution. It's been working great so far for me.

I found the perfect solution (for me) for installing a front facing car seat for my 2009 997.2 C2S Cab and thought I would share it.

I picked up the Cosco Scenera Next from Walmart ($50) based on some other threads from this forum that recommended it. On my Cab though, I found that even with the seat back and two lower cushions removed, I was still unable to get a secure fit. I then proceeded to unbolt the seatbelt holster and rotated it so that it pointed back wards to try to get a tighter fit (I read someone did this on the forum with good results). This worked only marginally better for me though, but it still did not really seem secure. After a few hours of trying to tweak it (including using pool noodles, yoga mats, towels, etc), I gave up pretty frustrated, because nothing I tried seemed safe. The car seat just had too much lateral movement. I ended up putting the seat belt buckle back to the original position.

Part of the issue with the Cab is the lack of the top tether to prevent the car seat from moving side to side on just the seat belt. Someone else mentioned going to the dealer and having them bolt a tether behind the rear seat back. I didn't like the idea of having a new bolt installed, but I did some google searching on installing anchors anyways and came across this
option option

It occurred to me that this might fit behind the rear seat back, so I reinstalled the seat back (leaving the two lower velcroed cushions removed) and discovered that this ISOFIX latch fit perfectly. It slid right in and was really easy to insert:

With this in place, I connected the top tether first, and pulled as tight as I could while still being able to push and lock the rear seat back up. Then, I installed the two rigid latch hooks from the car seat through the forward facing channel on the car seat to the new ISOFIX latches that pop out on the bottom side of the seat back.

This was enough to provide very little movement, but it still had some side to side if you really push at it. So for extra security (and if for any reason the rear seatback came loose), I also ran the seat belt strap through the rear facing channel on the car seat. After I did this, the car seat basically could not be moved an inch. Doing so though, does make it so that your child will probably feel a little bit of the seat belt strap underneath the car seat cushioning and below their legs.

I assume that this would also work on non-Cabs where the owner doesn't want to cut thru the carpet to install the factory top tether (keep in mind though that you do need to use all three latch points on this ISOfix anchor in order for it to be secure.

One last tip, be sure to put a little piece of foam at the top of the rear seat back so that the car seat doesn't dig into the leather of the seat back.

YMMV, but I hope this is helpful!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:34 PM
PGrasshopper
Intermediate

Nick97, thanks for the thorough response.

I'll give that some thought.

I was really hoping to figure out the Diono Radian 3RXT first as that seat worked for the OP with just removing the rear seat. Since I have a brand new Diono sitting in my office, I want to see that through and either figure it out, or send it back and get more creative.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:14 PM
PGrasshopper
Intermediate

To close the loop for my experience, I bought the Diono Radian 3RXT and simply couldn't get a good fit.

After finding this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...6#post15920806

I decided to give the Britax Boulevard Clicktight a try. I am sure glad I did, it fits like a glove, and is rock solid. The clicktight mechanism is PERFECT for the 997.2 cabriolet -
Old 06-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

You need to tell your kids that blackface isn't politically correct any more.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:29 AM
ScootsS
Advanced

As it goes...kids grow up...and we've now outgrown the Diono Radian RXT. If anyone is interested in pickup on Long Island, NY. Feel free to make me an offer. Worked great in my 2009 Cab.

Quick Reply: Car seats in 997.2 Cab (solved - with pics!)