Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:34 AM
TV911
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Great info! I'm in the process of upgrading my 2006 C2 Cabriolet PCM to a Pioneer Avic 8201. I'm most of the way there. Any suggestions for which fuse to pull the ignition controlled power off of?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TV911
Great info! I'm in the process of upgrading my 2006 C2 Cabriolet PCM to a Pioneer Avic 8201. I'm most of the way there. Any suggestions for which fuse to pull the ignition controlled power off of?
good question. I went ahead and updated the main post and added a photo. I used fuse B9 which is the telephone fuse in my car. It's a 7.5 amp
Old 02-20-2018, 12:31 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
good question. I went ahead and updated the main post and added a photo. I used fuse B9 which is the telephone fuse in my car. It's a 7.5 amp
Thanks! I'll see if I can wire this to the back side of the fuse panel (for a cleaner connection), and I'll share a picture if I'm successful. It looks like I should be able to pull the fuse panel and tap into the fused power connection as shown in Figure 1 from this procedure... https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...arge/pic01.jpg
Old 03-05-2018, 02:35 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Hey bhvrdr, does the San Jose 120 show the track information when playing via Bluetooth (songs from the phone, not Spotify, Pandora etc).
I'm considering the same head unit, since what I need is just the ability to take calls, play music from the phone itself.

I also see this on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
So that will eliminate the need to even fiddle with the head unit to switch songs, volume control etc.
Hope it works with the San Jose..
Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
Hey bhvrdr, does the San Jose 120 show the track information when playing via Bluetooth (songs from the phone, not Spotify, Pandora etc).
I'm considering the same head unit, since what I need is just the ability to take calls, play music from the phone itself.

I also see this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-Thu.../dp/B005T6CHM4
So that will eliminate the need to even fiddle with the head unit to switch songs, volume control etc.
Hope it works with the San Jose..

I'm not sure I can answer your question 100%. Here's why. I play my songs two different ways. One way is from a micro SD card that I have inserted in the HU. In this case you obviously get full song display and control. The other way is I stream pandora sometimes. In that method I get a generic display of buttons on the screen so I can press play/pause/skip f or skip b tracks. But it doesnt display the song title itself or allow me to give thumbs up or down on songs.

One thing about the San Jose is that if you talk on the phone a lot on the car this HU has a horrible built in microphone that will frustrate you. Otherwise I'm still ok with the unit itself and am sticking with it for now.

Mike
Old 03-05-2018, 08:45 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure I can answer your question 100%. Here's why. I play my songs two different ways. One way is from a micro SD card that I have inserted in the HU. In this case you obviously get full song display and control. The other way is I stream pandora sometimes. In that method I get a generic display of buttons on the screen so I can press play/pause/skip f or skip b tracks. But it doesnt display the song title itself or allow me to give thumbs up or down on songs.

One thing about the San Jose is that if you talk on the phone a lot on the car this HU has a horrible built in microphone that will frustrate you. Otherwise I'm still ok with the unit itself and am sticking with it for now.

Mike
Hey Mike, I went through the detailed specs on crutchfield for the San Jose and looks like it DOES NOT show the track info when playing via bluetooth.
"This unit does not display song/artist information from connected Bluetooth audio devices"
I hope it at least shows the file name - which is what I need. I don't really care so much about the song info.
If it's not too inconvenient, could you validate this sometime and let me know (the thread itself so it can benefit others).
That said, I would also be mostly using an SD card since my music collection is fairly static and I don't want to load up my phone.

Also, was there no provision to add an external mic? I've an existing mic (Tranzit BLU) that I want to reuse for the head unit :P

Thanks
Shyam
Old 03-31-2018, 02:28 AM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Super happy with this!

The following users liked this post:
myw (05-12-2020)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:02 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

We're twins! Let me know how the receiver works for you. My two complaints are the bt call quality and the unit resets itself every once in awhile. Im ok with it for now but may consider trying to get blaupunkt to fix the resetting problem or maybe get a diff receiver. Not sure yet.

mike
Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Had a look at a 2018 911 Carrera S this past weekend and it reminded how dated our PCM system looks. Porsche has done a nice job with their latest screens and functionality. I might have to pull the trigger and upgrade to new head unit (thinking Pioneer AVH or similar). Don't want to spend a bundle but this thread is inspiring to try it. Thanks all for the details around this upgrade.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:55 AM
BallVice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike - you’re bad influence again - lol

Just bought the same Most HUR unit today and the $20 Metra kit.

Im on the fence on the head unit.

Im an iPhone user and want car play and HD audio.

Great news iPhone users. car Play will support waze in the fall with iOS 12. Solves my issues/wants.

I like the Sony AVX100 and 5000. Thinking I may do a Kenwood for sound quality.

Im curious. What Carplay HUs have people gone with are are you happy?

mike and everyone else. A million thanks for this thread!!!

ill be doing the install my self.

Last edited by BallVice; 06-24-2018 at 02:57 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-24-2018, 02:56 AM
BallVice
Intermediate

Default Typing fail

Lol. Blaming it on the iPhone and my age. Lol
Old 06-24-2018, 04:13 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

I went with the Sony XAV-AX100 and I'm quite happy with the audio quality - although I mostly use BT, sometimes Android Auto.
But I heard good things on CarPlay as well for this unit.

I want to complete the picture by adapting the steering wheel controls as well.. but none of the companies have good tech support.
All are useless and will just read from some script/document that they have ready! I have some hopes on Connects2 from UK.. let's see
Old 06-24-2018, 04:51 PM
josserman
Instructor

Curious, do the fader setting last set when disconnecting stock system stay in place? I like to have more front stage sound, so this would be a big dissapointment not being able to control the fader, but if I could set it to where I like first and then just leave as is, it would be livable.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM
BallVice
Intermediate

I looked at the AVX100/200 and the AVX5000. I like all three - but no HD audio and I don' think there is a video input for screen mirroring (cheater Waze) ;-)

Looking at Alpine - Kenwood - and Pioneer at the moment

Then check out the AVH-"W"4400NEX or the "W"6400NEX

WIFI CarPlay - and HDMI in for you to EASILY screen mirror waze - I'll be installing it tomorrow when the Sirius Module arrives.

Last edited by BallVice; 06-29-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:22 PM
BallVice
Intermediate

Josserman - try this one -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120PO9...Interface.html

Quick Reply: Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....