Sponsored by:

Dealer Documented Service Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dealer Documented Service Work

I have a unique issue. I have a 997 that was sold as a CPO to the last owner who purchased the car from the Dealer who had originally sold the car to its first owner. The car was apparently traded in at the same dealer, who then sold it as a CPO to the second owner. Unfortunately, the service history provided to me by the second owner on the car represents only the 3 years that he had possession. I am now the third owner of the car.

So, since the car was under warranty during most of the time of ownership prior to my purchase, is there a procedure or way for me to get a printout of the service history on the car from the Dealer? I've been told that the dealer will not do this; however, the history is important when it comes time to sell the car.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had any luck getting previous service records from a dealer. I think you'd need an "in".

Any reasonable person you sell to down the line should understand this but people being people it might be an issue.
I just keep my own copy of detailed records during my ownership and if I sell to a private party they get those.

You could try to track down the previous owner on the forums. It's a long shot but I was able to on my car even though he traded it in to a dealer several states away.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:29 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I had no problems doing this at BMW. I just asked for a printout of the work for documentation. It didn't have any prior owners information.

I think doing this in person may be the easiest thing. Bring it up to your service or sales person. They should be able to get it for you.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I've been told that it is a privacy issue - dealer does not want to release service info that contains name of another individual. Ask the dealer if they will print out the prior service info but redact the name of the owner - some dealers are more accommodating than others. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

I bought my 2009 C2S with CPO from a the original selling dealer and asked for service history prior to purchase. Got a summary by date and service w/o names.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased a 2011 from my local dealer last year. They were the original selling dealer. It was CPO'd and I asked and received all the previous service invoices. They redacted the personnel info (name, credit card info, address etc.) Just play nice with them and they should cooperate. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

I got all the history of the previous maintenance done at the dealer after talking to my service advisor. They give you a summary type print out where it shows all the work that was done (with dates), and it doesn't include any personal information from the previous owner(s).

Don't ask anyone from the sales department. They are clueless and will come up with all kinds of excuses trying to explain why they can't give them to you.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:26 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
I got all the history of the previous maintenance done at the dealer after talking to my service advisor. They give you a summary type print out where it shows all the work that was done (with dates), and it doesn't include any personal information from the previous owner(s).

Don't ask anyone from the sales department. They are clueless and will come up with all kinds of excuses trying to explain why they can't give them to you.
This exactly, especially on the cluelessness (which I think is an act) by the sales people.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:35 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also got all the dealer service history when I purchased my 997.2. Ironically, I got it from my salesman who happens to also be the Asst Sales Manager.

In all honesty, my salesman delivered everything that was promised and more.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:06 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I've got it before with no problems. But it's a dealer decision and PNA has no say in it. For my current 911 I found out where it was serviced from and I called them. They gave me the service history verbally over the phone and I wrote it down. It was The Collection in Coral Gables florida. At porsche of Tysons they gave me printouts of that and DME.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you should be able to go to any dealer and have them give the complete warrantee, service history that porsche has for that car. only the dealer that did the misc service will have those records and they should give them. Its your car, nobody elses.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it comes down to the sales guy you are working with more so than that dealer's policies. If you have a good SA they'll get the details for you. Maybe black out previous owner details, maybe not.

I purchased a 997 CPO in January and the dealer gave me every single piece of information they had on the car which was something like 15 pages of service history. Luckily my car was serviced regularly by the same dealer every single time so the maintenance trail was long. Having such a detailed record was huge in giving me the confidence to make an offer and will only help in the future should I decide to sell...
Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all for your responses to my question regarding dealer supplied maintenance history. I am now optimistic that I can approach the Service Dept of the dealership that performed most of the work on this car. If they refuse to provide the information, I can go to my local dealership and make the same request.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:00 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Well, I made a trip to the dealership that had originally sold my car, and requested the maintenance history. They said that without authorization from the previous owner(s) they could not release the data since it was "confidential". After hearing that rebuke, I responded that they could redack the names of the owners since I was only interested in the maintenance history on the car. They refused to do that.

It appears that the "confidentiality" issue is mandated by Porsche; which leads me to believe that those of you that got the requested information, may have gotten it based upon your relationship with the dealership.

Incidentally, I went directly to the Service Department with my request.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are incorrect or? I know other manufactures maintenance computers are linked. Maybe try another location?

Quick Reply: Dealer Documented Service Work