Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997S Auction Car - Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:32 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought an identical brake bleeder thingy, except it's a different brand. Worked pretty well.
Wheels look great.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 3,914 Posts

It's amazing what you've created there and in such a short timeframe.

Are the gaps in-front of and behind the front tires because you used cup fenders that usually have the flares attached to them? Any plans to add those to go along with the look of the purpose built race car that happens to have lights and tags for the street?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats - I bet this was frustrating at times, but mostly therapeutic since there's nothing like wrenching on your own ride. Since there won't be any more build posts, lets see vids of this beast at the track!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:21 PM
krispe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay.0

There were some questions whether this pan would fit the 3.8 vs the 3.6 it's listed for. I found that everything looked good, except the baffle on the front of the drivers side. The stock baffle is about 4.5" tall. The FVD baffle is about 4.75" and prevented the pan from seating 100% in that corner.
I cut the baffle 1/4", filed it down, and washed the pan with soap and water.

Thanks for this Clay

When you get her on track is there any chance you can use a go pro or something to film the oil pressure gauge whilst hard cornering? I'd be interested if the FVD pan is enough to prevent oil pressure drop on it's own under long sustained fast corners?

Chris
The following users liked this post:
morefun (11-11-2019)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Instarand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clay - would you mind please reversing this build project and documenting it as well?

Absolutely awesome thread!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow...really came out great...quite unique and beautiful...inspiring as well.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
wow...... wow
no words
they should have sent a poet

link to hi res pics?
ditto
Old 11-30-2017, 03:12 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Cpl of questions:

- Is a car this stripped, street legal? or if a cop stopped you they can give you a hard time?
- Is there any hazard or danger with all of those exposed metals in case of an accident?
Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Man - I found myself reading through the whole thread. You have great taste and craftmanship skills. LOVE the transformer grey. Its my all time favourite Porche color. Even on the early porsches.

Still practical with stuff like the navi etc but interior wise even more stripped out than a GT3. Maybe even more than a cup car. Please put a video with the exhaust noise. Some interesting bits and pieces done there.

This is a project I would really like to do when time and garage space is available.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 PM
Clay.0
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarbowski
Jeezus this thing is awesome! Props on the build!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by nwGTS
wow...... wow
no words
they should have sent a poet

link to hi res pics?
haha thanks, here is my flickr - https://www.flickr.com/gp/89639302@N05/UuCaeq

Originally Posted by platinum997
damn... Looks awesome seeing it all together.

no front fender liners ?
Thank you. I'm waiting to install the fender liners and undercarriage plastics until the alignment is done, just for a little more access to everything.

Originally Posted by BillNye
I just bought an identical brake bleeder thingy, except it's a different brand. Worked pretty well.
Wheels look great.
The only thing I hate more than coolant is brake fluid, this thing is amazing. It is a huge help, especially since i'm working alone.

Originally Posted by Petza914
It's amazing what you've created there and in such a short timeframe.

Are the gaps in-front of and behind the front tires because you used cup fenders that usually have the flares attached to them? Any plans to add those to go along with the look of the purpose built race car that happens to have lights and tags for the street?
Thanks. The front fenders are stock width that have been rolled. The fender liners haven't been installed yet. I've thought about the flares, but without rears to match, I'm not sure I like the look.

Originally Posted by Seneca035

congrats - I bet this was frustrating at times, but mostly therapeutic since there's nothing like wrenching on your own ride. Since there won't be any more build posts, lets see vids of this beast at the track!
It has been fun, but there were definitely frustrating times. The car is mostly "done" but the build isn't over. I'll keep updating as work is done and it's driven.

Originally Posted by krispe
Thanks for this Clay

When you get her on track is there any chance you can use a go pro or something to film the oil pressure gauge whilst hard cornering? I'd be interested if the FVD pan is enough to prevent oil pressure drop on it's own under long sustained fast corners?

Chris
You're welcome. I'll see what I can come up with.

Originally Posted by Instarand
Clay - would you mind please reversing this build project and documenting it as well?

Absolutely awesome thread!
Not sure what you're asking, but thanks!

Originally Posted by lowpue
Wow...really came out great...quite unique and beautiful...inspiring as well.
Thank you

Originally Posted by alexb76
Cpl of questions:

- Is a car this stripped, street legal? or if a cop stopped you they can give you a hard time?
- Is there any hazard or danger with all of those exposed metals in case of an accident?
It is street legal, when it really comes down to it, it's just missing carpet and some interior parts. They don't care about that. There are less soft edges for sure, but with 6-point harness and a helmet at the track, it'll be okay.

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Man - I found myself reading through the whole thread. You have great taste and craftmanship skills. LOVE the transformer grey. Its my all time favourite Porche color. Even on the early porsches.

Still practical with stuff like the navi etc but interior wise even more stripped out than a GT3. Maybe even more than a cup car. Please put a video with the exhaust noise. Some interesting bits and pieces done there.

This is a project I would really like to do when time and garage space is available.
Thanks it's been fun.

Here is a video in the garage

Old 01-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Clay.0
Instructor

Before Christmas I called and went to several alignment shops and nobody would touch the car. Mostly because none of the alignment racks were pits, they were all drive on. I drove it a few times, but the alignment was terrible and prevented me from driving too much.

The week after Christmas, I took it to a shop were a friend works on a rainy day.

We started by corner balancing it

Starting

Using the spread sheet found here: https://robrobinette.com/corner_weight.htm we adjusted the coils up and down to get to here with me in it

Which put it balanced within 1 lb.

Once balance was complete, we put it on the alignment rack.

And it was pretty bad

I was shooting for
Front: -2.8 camber, 1mm toe out (1&1)
Rear: -2.5 camber, 2mm toe in (2&2)

After:

Now that it's aligned I can finally start enjoying it, it was terrible to drive before.

Then put it on the dyno for a baseline. I'll add the dyno sheet later, but it did 315hp at the wheels. It's rated for 355hp at the crank so that's in line.

We also brought the 77 911 to dyno. It only did 150hp, which is low. Reviewing the logs later i found that there was no MAP signal and found that the vacuum line had torn. We were in a hurry at that point so we didn't catch anything while on the dyno.

Over the holiday, I also installed a few cameras. One reverse and one in the front bumper to help see getting on my lift and trailers.

The cameras are cheap universals off Amazon, but they worked well.
Amazon Amazon

Drilled a hole in the underside of the bumper to mount the camera

Wires ran into the frunk

And behind the battery into the cabin

Camera installed

And the view. I drew a red target on the floor for the correct alignment on the scissor lift. This car is wide and there is only +/- 1" of play to get it to fit on the lift correctly, so this is helpful. Before, I'd have to get in and out of the car 3-4 times before getting it.

The rear is wired into the reverse bulb on the taillight, so when you put it in reverse, it'll pop up on the headunit

Rear camera installed in the tow hook cover. I didn't want to drill holes in the rear bumper

Rear view. Not perfect, but better than nothing. It's hard to see out the rear view mirror with the wing.

Also bought AEM infinity for the 997. There are plenty of good tunes out there and the stock ECU is programmable, but going AEM allows for more flexibility in the future, and using gift cards made it close to free.

They make a plug'n'play adapter for the 997, I found a new unused one on Ebay that I got for $300! They retail for $1500.

I started installation in rear the stock ECU

Unplugged stock wires from ECU

Plugged them into the AEM adapter and mounted at the rear seats

I started the configuration, but ran out of time. Next project will be to finish the configuration, start up and tuning.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Clay,

Let me know what it takes to get the Infinity dialed in and the gains you see. That might be something I do, as well.

Car looks amazing.

Ryan
Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2

I second the great taste and craftsmanship. It takes a talent to look a pile of ? get a vision, then see it through. I think you mentioned it before (too lazy to look) but the color was chalk correct?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 AM
Monster231
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And, I was so proud of myself for removing my cupholder and installing a new HVAC fan! Car looks bad ***, well done!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Clay.0
Instructor

Hey guys, not much has changed since the last post. I've been driving it a few days to work and around. I've put a few hundred miles on it without any issues.

Last Friday I took it to MSR Houston for the first track day.

Overall the car did very well. On the last lap of the first session I popped a coolant line on the passenger front. Luckily I noticed immediately and pulled off safety. Put the car up on jacks and took the front end off to find it had simply disconnected at the fitting and was able to get it back together. I missed the second session, did a few laps in the 3rd session but the coolant light came on so I pulled off and topped off the coolant and did a few more laps without issue. Fourth sessions still took it easy, but was able to get on it some at the end and drove it home. So while not the best day, it could have been worse.

Quick Reply: 997S Auction Car - Track Build