Sponsored by:

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 PM
TMats
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front License Plate

I did a search and nothing specific on this topic came up, although my assumption is that front plates have been discussed many times in here. We own a 997.1 that has never had a front plate, although the state it came from (Colorado) requires two plates. I'd be curious about the experience of others in the forum who live in states with a two-plate requirement.

Have you ever been pulled over solely because you didn't have a front plate?

If you were stopped for any other reason, were you then ticketed for the missing front plate?

Have any of you felt the need to permanently attach a front plate as a result of LEO contact?

I would be especially interested in the viewpoint of LEOs who are Forum members.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in Denver and don't run front plates on the 911 and gt4. I've never been pulled over or ticketed in either car.

With that said, I don't park on the street with either- I always pull into a private lot. I also would expect the $50/75 fine from an officer if they pull me over for a moving offense.

Imo, I would have to find a cop on a really bad day to pull me over just for an absent front plate. I've yet to find one...knock on wood.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM
TMats
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buteo
I live in Denver and don't run front plates on the 911 and gt4. I've never been pulled over or ticketed in either car.

With that said, I don't park on the street with either- I always pull into a private lot. I also would expect the $50/75 fine from an officer if they pull me over for a moving offense.

Imo, I would have to find a cop on a really bad day to pull me over just for an absent front plate. I've yet to find one...knock on wood.
I looked up a voodoo blue GT4. Stunningly beautiful
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ohio has a 2 plate law. Never been ticketed for it, but here it is a secondary offense. Meaning you can't be pulled over for it, but if they are citing you for something else, they can add it on. Here it is only a $150 fine.

Last edited by fastcars914; 09-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Pulled over twice, in Texas. No tickets. Decided not to push my luck and mounted a front plate on the Boxster I drove then. Refused to drill the bumper cover so made a custom mount.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:48 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in a one plate state, but the inspection lane is where you are most likely to find yourself in trouble. By dad got sent home once for European side marker lights, so I have to believe you're at even greater risk trying to get by without the front plate.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 29 years of driving with no front plate on a variety of cars.

One time I was pulled to the side of the road in Wrightwood, taking off chains for the drive back from Mt. High ski resort in my 1978 Camaro Z/28. An L.A. County Sheriff paused to tell me I needed a front plate and that CHP would likely ticket me. It had me worried, but decided I would deal with it later if it happened. It never did.

Since then, I had a bare front bumper in a Nissan Maxima SE, BMW 540i Sport, BMW M5 (my daily driver), and the 911TT.

I have seen front license plate holders that screw into the tow hook attachment hole. I'd go that route if I ever got a ticket for it.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 AM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've lived in California for the better part of my 4 plus decades, and from day 1 of car ownership I've never ran a front plate.

A few traffic stops here and there, only got asked about "where's your front plate?" one time....forgot what I said to the officer, but promised I'd put it on when I got home....didn't write it up.

Sadly the previous owner of my Panamera GTS drilled the bumper to mount the plate (which I promptly removed), so now I have extra "aero" holes? No worries, better than the plate.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:51 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a thread on the 991 forum about how I installed the front license plate using magnets. Goes on and comes off in seconds.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 AM
Leadft
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been pulled over for not having front plates and got a fix-it ticket. needed to put it on and get inspected, but was good after that.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate