Sponsored by:

Another Phone Solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:13 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Another Phone Solution

I didn't want to hijack Bruce in Philly's thread on his nice phone mount project, so I thought would offer my phone mounting solution to the masses. I discovered the Steelie system a couple of years ago, as a way to unobtrusively locate any phone in any vehicle. The entire system is available on Amazon and is fairly inexpensive.

Basically, a small, 1.5 cm magnetic disc attaches {with a 3M adhesive sticker) to the back of your phone or case. A half-round steel ball then mounts to your dashboard or any surface that you choose, using either the same adhesive sticker or a vent attachment.

I have used both in a variety of different vehicles (most recently, my old 535ix and my wife's Lexus) and found the adhesives can be readily removed from plastic or leather without marring the surface. The magnets are powerful and allow for placement anywhere you can find a 1.5 cm flat spot.

In my C2S, I ended up going with a vent mount because I prefer a higher viewing position for safety reasons. The leather channels on either side of the head unit were a bit too thin for the standard attached "ball" mount.

The first upgrade I completed after purchasing my 997.1 was a new Pioneer HU with CarPlay, BT and all the other bells and whistles. I ended up running a Lightning Connector up to the phone using small black cable holders (found on DudeGadgets.com).

I prefer not having a cradle sticking out of the dash and have found these Steelies just work beautifully.

Amazon: Search "Steelie"

https://dudegadgets.com/products/8-pcs-cable-holder

Just another option...
Attached Images     
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

What happens when wireless charging comes out?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 AM
rwdds
Racer

The Pioneer NEX8201 head unit is very versatile. If the cable is plugged into the phone, the CarPlay function starts automatically. I typically only plug in on longer drives or extended road trips.

My P is a daily driver, so I normally, don't need to plug it in as I pop in and out, zooming around town. The Pioneer picks up the iPhone's BT stream as soon as I start the ignition and my music just plays. It is a major improvement in the entertainment capabilities, IMHO.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What's going on with your oil pressure gauge?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

If anyone is looking for an excellent phone mount for their P-car; take a look at the link below to the Rennline options; we've had very positive reviews of them. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...one-mounts.htm
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a Rennline base mated to an Iottie unit from Amazon and am very happy.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 PM
Monster231
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the floor mats.. Where did those come from?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:13 AM
rwdds
Racer

Hah! The floor mats were a gift from my next door neighbor. She is the eastern regional buyer for Bloomingdales carpeting departments. These are Persian/Iranian mats, I think. They protect the P carpeting very well and soak up moisture and dirt nicely.

Quick Reply: Another Phone Solution