Sponsored by:

Castrol vs Mobil 1 New life

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Castrol vs Mobil 1 New life

When I bought the car it was serviced at Porsche service center. I guess they used Castrol? After first winter hibernation (cabrio) I had lifter issues and ticking noise. Changed to Mobil1 New life. Perfect! No ticking etc. Also after standing for some time no smoke, no smelly exhaust. I always change oil before hibernation and I always use Mobil1 New Life 0W/40.

Just had the car back from service some months ago and again they used Castrol. Now there is smoke after startup if it has been standing for a few days.

Are the oils that different? I really feel a difference at startup. Same viscosity 0W/40 for both oils I think.

I have no issue with soot, high oil consumption or things like that (i.e bore scoring). Just that the Castrol feels not right for this engine.

How about you? Experiences in this matter? Does all PC use Castrol?
Old 09-10-2017, 02:14 PM
BlueE30
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
When I bought the car it was serviced at Porsche service center. I guess they used Castrol? After first winter hibernation (cabrio) I had lifter issues and ticking noise. Changed to Mobil1 New life. Perfect! No ticking etc. Also after standing for some time no smoke, no smelly exhaust. I always change oil before hibernation and I always use Mobil1 New Life 0W/40.

Just had the car back from service some months ago and again they used Castrol. Now there is smoke after startup if it has been standing for a few days.

Are the oils that different? I really feel a difference at startup. Same viscosity 0W/40 for both oils I think.

I have no issue with soot, high oil consumption or things like that (i.e bore scoring). Just that the Castrol feels not right for this engine.

How about you? Experiences in this matter? Does all PC use Castrol?

I've always preferred Mobil products to Castrol, that being said I've never had issues with Castrol.

Does anyone use Amsoil products in their 997's? I've always used that in my vehicles and hoping people go that route with these for me to start using - love their product.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Natey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go back to Mobile 1 or something even better like NEO. Amsoil is also high quality stuff, but I've been reading some not-so-great things about Royal Purple, so maybe look into that a little before putting it in your car. Castrol is the best of the dino oils though, and it's all I use in my rotary powered car.
No worries about switching back and forth between the two (dino vs synth).

http://shop.neosyntheticoil.com/Engine-Oil_c3.htm
Old 09-10-2017, 08:15 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes! Another oil argument....I mean discussion.

Wait for the Motul, Gibbs, and X oil posts.

Maybe I'm too boring (could be, that's OK, BTW), but the sticker inside the deck lid says "Porsche Recommends Mobil 1", so that is what I use....no issues at 60k miles. Don't burn, leak, no soot, no bore scoring, etc.

I'll stick with Mobil 1.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a nearly identical episode earlier this year with an oil (which will remain unnamed to avoid oil wars). Switched back to Mobil1, not a problem since. Not a chance I'll try something else again.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
I had a nearly identical episode earlier this year with an oil (which will remain unnamed to avoid oil wars). Switched back to Mobil1, not a problem since. Not a chance I'll try something else again.
No reason to fear arguments... if you think you had an issue with a particular oil brand you should identify it. Maybe it was the oil or maybe not, but adding a data point to the common knowledge base is always helpful.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Oil makers offer different versions of the same viscosity. Was that Castrol oil A40-approved?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ADias
Oil makers offer different versions of the same viscosity. Was that Castrol oil A40-approved?
I assume it's Approved since it's from official Porsche Center. It was their only approved oil for my car. I actually asked for Mobil 1 New life or other Approved oil with higher viscosity since I mainly drive in warm months but the only alternative they had was for the classic Porsches.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

I assume it's Approved since it's from official Porsche Center. It was their only approved oil for my car. I actually asked for Mobil 1 New life or other Approved oil with higher viscosity since I mainly drive in warm months but the only alternative they had was for the classic Porsches.
It is reasonable to assume they did but it may not be true. When I went looking for PTX, my indy said he gets his stuff from the local dealers when in a pinch.... he called two and non carried it.... not out of stock, they just don;t buy it..... they used the heavy Mobil diesel Delvac oil instead.... something that Porsche recommends for track use.

This really opened my eyes because it is not like a Porsche rating like A40 where you can buy different brands.... Mobilube PTX is specified in my manual as the only fluid for my car and the local dealers don;t use it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-11-2017, 12:15 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

........After first winter hibernation (cabrio) I had lifter issues and ticking noise........
Can you describe what lifter issues you have and under what driving conditions you notice the issues ? Thx
Old 09-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lowbee
Can you describe what lifter issues you have and under what driving conditions you notice the issues ? Thx
It was only on startup and disappeared after a short while. A very distinct "ticking" / "tapping" sound. Not knocking but rather ticking sound. Difficult to describe more.

After that I only used Mobil 1 and never had smoke on startup except cold weather. As it is now with the Castrol I can actually smell burnt oil after startup even after being parked just two days. So will go back to Mobil 1 for winter hibernation.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:47 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

what is "Mobil 1 New life" ? different from what they sell as Mobil 1 full synthetic?

Quick Reply: Castrol vs Mobil 1 New life