red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Old 09-04-2017, 11:17 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
. . . Sorry. Did not look that close. Was on iPhone and just saw sucked in looking wheel profiles in the rear that really stood out for some reason.

Lol about the concern that spacers in the rear will hinder performance and the clear conscious comment. Easily reversible mod and I shutter to think what I have done to cars over the years. There is always room for improvement in many areas on 911s.
Didn't the 997 GT3 and the GT3RS come with spacers from the factory? Pretty sure at least one of them did, if not both.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Cattywampus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowered or not lowered good on the fellas that drive in the snow! Something our lily-asses in SoCal don't have to contend with
Old 09-06-2017, 01:49 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by red carrera
I guess I'm the dummy who drives in heavy snow. The clear days I might miss make up for the really heavy days when I leave the car parked and ski to the lift, then walk back or bum a ride home at night.
Ya me too. This fascination with storing cars for 6 months is a NA thing

I believe plenty of people in Europe also use/have chains as they *gasp* drive them to the ski hill etc ie they use them as a car not a showpiece
Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by red carrera
You may not do the distances I do. Castle Rock to Bigfork is 1020 miles. Bigfork to Jackson, WY is 500 miles, Bigfork to Big Sky is over 300 miles. I'm always rubbing on packed fender wells on arrival. I've had to chip out the fronts to obtain full lock.

The car doesn't have the luxury of a heated garage to thaw except when I'm in one of our homes.
Youre right that I don't put on that kind of mileage but do go skiing etc. My guess is that the icing in the wheel wells just grows out to the level of the tire travel if u know what I mean so that you would just have the same issue with a lowered car

But I understand what you are saying
Old 09-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would rather raise my ride than lower it. Between steep curbs/driveways and omnipresent potholes, I could use another 1/4-1/2 inch of ride height.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
That is silly. I run cars much lower than a 997.2 with Eibachs or H&Rs and have zero problems. Never once heard my wife's 997.2 with Eibachs scrape anything. I honestly do not see how anyone could scrape with Eibachs unless doing something hair brained or running into a curb.
Originally Posted by vern1
And yes i also dont get guys who claim to scrape on everything they come across. Mines on H&R's and never have a problem with speed bumps (but i also dont hit them at 40).
Originally Posted by sandwedge
On my third 997 with H&R's and I see the scarping issue as a non-issue. Never met a steep driveway that couldn't be negotiated at a 45 degree angle.
All I can say is come to Colorado. Scraping here isn't rare, even taking driveways at 45 degree angles. I have no problems with driving in the snow (in some respects, the snow is better because it can smooth out some of the irregularities in the roads).

As far as the pure esthetics go, I've never been a fan of low-riders. If you want ground effect, get a hovermobile ...
Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowered on H&R springs, daily driver year round in DC, no issues
Originally Posted by Omnigeek
I would rather raise my ride than lower it. Between steep curbs/driveways and omnipresent potholes, I could use another 1/4-1/2 inch of ride height.

Anyone who wants to raise their 911 should have it revoked.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:28 PM
jwagman99
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can have a macan GTS for winter and 911 for summer, why not???
Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I keep mine at stock height. If I lowered it, I could not get into my drive way without significant damage.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
Anyone who wants to raise their 911 should have it revoked.
Rather than return the uninformed rudeness, I simply invite you to drive your 911 out here in Colorado for a couple of years.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
Rather than return the uninformed rudeness, I simply invite you to drive your 911 out here in Colorado for a couple of years.
The challenge is that everyone claims that their neighbourhood/city/state/country has the "worst roads in the world"

I have heard guys claim that Toronto has the "worst roads in the world" and that they scrape on every dip/driveway and speedbump in the city on OEM height. Well I drive around in the same city on H&R springs and do not experience this so its hard to discern fact from fiction sometimes.

Not saying Colorado does not "have the worst roads in the world" but some people tend to exaggerate their experiences to suit their current set up

Maybe I am doing that
Old 09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
The challenge is that everyone claims that their neighbourhood/city/state/country has the "worst roads in the world"

I have heard guys claim that Toronto has the "worst roads in the world" and that they scrape on every dip/driveway and speedbump in the city on OEM height. Well I drive around in the same city on H&R springs and do not experience this so its hard to discern fact from fiction sometimes.

Not saying Colorado does not "have the worst roads in the world" but some people tend to exaggerate their experiences to suit their current set up

Maybe I am doing that
so true, everyone thinks their roads are the worst. i've claimed the same thing. now i'm slammed with a gt3 front bumper and the only thing that will scrape is the replaceable front lip. i'll take the lip of once a season, hit it with some matte black spray paint, and its as good as new.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, everyone has the worst roads in the country... suck it up and drive around pot holes, avoid speed bumps, avoid steep inclines, etc. It's not difficult.

Quick Reply: Who's NOT lowered?