Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console melted while at the dealership, any ideas on how?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

At a Porsche dealership, especially one that has been remodeled, before the car is taken away, a person with a detail sheet goes over the entire car and notes all scratches that are apparent and some that are not.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BMFX
Hahaha I appreciate it.

Got the photos from the warranty company... they do show the damage. They also show a bunch of tools on the passenger side floor, so there had been some wrenching done before hand and the car was there 5-7 days before the warranty company got there. So sadly I no longer have photo proof that this wasn't existing prior.

So now it'll be my word against the dealers. *sigh*.

Not exactly sure how I want to move forward.
I am now confused, was the warranty pics showing NO damage or damage? In you earlier post you said no damage, now you say it was damaged?

To me, it's either hot tool on center console, OR, hot car with some knee or other tool on top of center console denting it like that.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:17 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am now confused, was the warranty pics showing NO damage or damage? In you earlier post you said no damage, now you say it was damaged?

To me, it's either hot tool on center console, OR, hot car with some knee or other tool on top of center console denting it like that.
Warranty pics show damage but the pics were taken while car at dealership after the damage, not before.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:40 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got off the phone with my third party warranty group. They do have a photo of the part prior to repair and it's not melted =).

Getting it released now, and sending it over to the GM of the dealership. I am thrilled that the rep they sent out to approve the job was so detailed.

Also I was curious about this. If this is something so blatant if this was something pre-existing wouldn't it be noted in a filing on the car? I never thought I'd need todo a full walk through on my car before I dropped it off.
Good news. My first guess was a portable shop lamp. Second guess was something reflecting from the outside in AKA like a magnifying glass frying an ant.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 229 Posts

Looking closer at the pics, and the deformation, as well as the abrasion to the leather. It appears something very heavy damaged it. I'm not seeing the melting theory here. Unfortunately, I am not surprised it's PNS... PC service and integrity is leaps and bounds above PNS...leaps and bounds. Hopefully you get a resolution OP.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I recently dropped my car off at the dealership to replace my sunroof assembly. The cable to close the sun-roof had snapped, and the entire assembly needed to be replaced as a result.

I picked up my car with a dead battery and the center console seemingly melted/burned. I am curious if anyone else has ever had this happen and or if anyone has any theories on how this could have happened.

The dealership is saying it isn't their fault at all, and they want photo proof that this didn't exist prior to me dropping it off. Which is mildly frustrating, since I obviously didn't do a full walk through.

My current question is if they pulled the sunroof out and rested it on the center console, could this have happened? It's also worth noting the vehicle was in Arizona - so ambient temperature was 100-110 degrees, depending on where and how they stored it.

I'd love any feedback on thoughts as to what could have caused this, or if anyone has ever seen this before. Thanks... Also, I guess let this be a subtle reminder to do a full walk through of your car before dropping it off at a dealer.

PS. Its a 10-year-old car, and I drive the hell out of it so yes there's a ton of general wear and tear, but this is ridiculous.
Sadly, dealerships today are not manned by very trained mechanics and they have a tendency to screw things up, and then try to cover it up. Things are not getting better. I had a mechanic prime my windshield washer solution tank with a turkey baster containing battery acid and the first time I used the windshield squirters it literally sprayed battery acid all over the paint of my car. Porsche AG sent an engineer up from Zuffenhausen to see the damage and everyone was all "gee, how did that happen?" Ultimately, my insurance paid to have the entire car repainted AT THE FACTORY. (This happened in Germany with my dealership in Heilbronn--Autohaus Mauk. Now, probably out of business.)

Mechanics are still just mechanics. I believe the trouble light was the culprit.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:30 PM
BMFX
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I just got the most generic email response ever from PCNA. Anyone have a direct phone number for someone there?

I am going to call the insurance company today and see what options exist there. It is stupid the amount of time I've spent dealing with this.
Out of principle, I want to hold Porsche accountable.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I like that portable safety light idea. That's something I would do.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

So, I just got the most generic email response ever from PCNA. Anyone have a direct phone number for someone there?

Porsche Cars North America
One Porsche Drive
Atlanta, GA 30354
Phone: (770) 290-3500
Fax: (770) 290-3700

Ask for customer commitment, jot down names, etc. If that does nothing, write a letter to:
Klaus Zellmer, President and Chief Executive Officer Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Email me - I may have an easy solution for you as well. info@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 PM
215robert
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

sent you a pm
Old 08-29-2017, 11:14 AM
BMFX
AutoX

Sorry for the lack of updates, been out of town and just got back today. Reaching out to PCNA via phone here in an hour or so - gotta wrap up some morning meetings first.

The warranty company originally told me they didn't see any damage in the photos however when I finally got a copy of them it does show the damage. Also photographed is a bunch of tools in the passenger area and a disassembled sunroof... which really is a bummer, I was hoping it would be my saving grace.

Will update more by the end of the day.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RodneyB
I would ask if the tech used a trouble light to see what he was doing inside a dark interior. If he was not bright enough to not drain the battery he might not be bright enough to place a cheap trouble light with the reflector down on top of your console to see what he was doing. Just a thought from a guy who wrenched for a living years ago. A couple hours like that would easily melt plastic. Also it looks like the red seatbelt release button got hot and that is NOT electrical.
+1. I did this exact thing to my other car with shop light. Luckily not pcar.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:03 PM
BMFX
AutoX

Originally Posted by mikemessi
+1. I did this exact thing to my other car with shop light. Luckily not pcar.
Latest update.

Service Manager GM: "Any shop light we use isn't hot enough to cause that." And "We've made our decision and we don't believe we are at fault and your only option is to contact your insurance company."

PCNA reached out but didn't apply any pressure sadly, and the above was after my PCNA rep reached out. So disappointed by that.

Talked to my insurance company they instantly said I had a claim - now I need to debate between buying the part used and doing it myself or filing a claim and paying the $250 deductible and have it professionally done.

Not sure in the long run how bad filing a claim will be, it's not an at fault claim so my agent didn't think it would dramatically hurt me, but it could have some impact down the road.

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Talked to my insurance company they instantly said I had a claim - now I need to debate between buying the part used and doing it myself or filing a claim and paying the $250 deductible and have it professionally done.

Thoughts?
Fix it yourself. This is not hard, complex, or time consuming. If you want to save some bucks, contact a Porsche dismantler or eBay and just buy the part.

Dismanters: Parts Heaven, DC Automotive, Oklahoma Foreign. For eBay, obtain the Porsche parts Katalog and just look up the part number.... some online parts sellers will have the diagrams, but I recommend you find the Katalog PDF for yourself. In fact, just go to eBay right now and key in "997 center console" and you will get an idea of price and conditions. There are differences in the center console.... such as PDK vs Manual, Cab vs Coupe, color of course, maybe one or two more.... but we can help with this.

There are plenty of DIY instructions on how to remove the console and snap off the trim pieces.

Give it a go.... this is not hard.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-30-2017, 06:14 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perfect time to get one in a different color to offset the sea of black. Carbon? silver to match the trim?

Quick Reply: Center console melted while at the dealership, any ideas on how?