Durametric and oil pressure diags

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:10 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Durametric and oil pressure diags

Hi-
Anyone know if the Durametric can analyze oil pressure sensor and the gauge for faults?
Thanks
Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

probably but what's the issue? getting a dash light saying re: oil pressure gauge and/or the gauge sits at 0? and what year/model?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 857 Posts

You probably already know this, but as I understand it, if there is a code present, the Durametric will show it.

If you want to look at live values and then compare to the dash or whatever, I do know you can get oil temperature and than when I did, the value matched the dash dial perfectly (same with water).

I did not look to find the live value bucket for oil pressure. If you find it, post what it was called. I remember when I was looking at various temps and other items, there were multiple buckets that appeared to present the same data and the bucket names were not always clear.... I had to do some sniffing and look at the results to be sure.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I don't think Oil Pressure data is available via that port. I believe one has to tap into the CAN buss.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I don't think Oil Pressure data is available via that port. I believe one has to tap into the CAN buss.
My understanding as well... No OBD-II PID for oil pressure. One reason many track guys add an independent oil pressure sensor.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
But that is what Durametric does.... how else does it get all those live values? The Durametric gets tons of crazy data, live and at extremely fast sample rates.... all via the car's OBDII port. While I have not looked for oil pressure myself, I gotta believe it is there via Durametric and live.

Take a look at some analytics I did pulling live values with Durametric...... You plug their special cable into the OBD II port, plug that into your laptop, run their software, then go through the menus and you are presented with check boxes to collect tons o' stuff...... you can select as much as you want.... now go for a drive. I don't know what the limits are, but my very fast laptop did not have any problems and I did not see any data hickups. In fact, to present the graph in the link below, I had to throw away tons of data because even set at the slowest sampling rate, I had way too much data. I don't remember exactly how many parameters Durametric tracks, but I was amazed an how much data is available via the CAN bus via the OBD II port...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tric-data.html

Regarding track guys... well given my limited experience at the track, I was never allowed to have a laptop flapping around in the car.... so I see why a dedicated appliance bolted to the dash for whatever parameter is far more desirable.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

i hope i'm wrong Bruce but I'm pretty sure the Oil pressure Data is not routed to the OBD2 Port. You're right. There is almost "Too Much Data" but not Oil pressure.

The AIM or Motec track Data systems tap into the CAN bus for data and that's why they have access to Oil Pressure for Data Logging.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
But that is what Durametric does.... how else does it get all those live values?
That is exactly how it gets those live values when the parameter is defined in the protocol and the data is on the bus... But it can't receive values for data that isn't there and that aren't in the standard or manufacturer extended set of PIDs.

This might help explain it a bit better...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Also, it's my understanding that systems like AIM and Motec have the same problem... No oil pressure data on the bus, so they use additional, discrete oil pressure sensors to supplement the data they do get from the bus.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I just did a bit more looking, as I wanted to make sure I wasn't giving incorrect info...

Take a look at this AiM tech sheet... Looks like they can either connect to the OBD port and NOT get oil pressure data, or connect directly to the ECU and get oil pressure data. Again indicating that accurate oil pressure data is not available on the OBD bus.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...us_102_eng.pdf
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sullivas
Hi-
Anyone know if the Durametric can analyze oil pressure sensor and the gauge for faults?
Thanks
I'm the OP, the reason I asked is because my idling pressure used to be , for years, ~2.8 and now it's showing ~3.8 on the gauge.
2005 c2, no engine mods, 19k on car, Motul 5/40 changed yearly.
At running speeds it's always at 5.
I thought maybe my Durametric had an option to show sensor or gauge faults.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
I'm the OP, the reason I asked is because my idling pressure used to be , for years, ~2.8 and now it's showing ~3.8 on the gauge.
2005 c2, no engine mods, 19k on car, Motul 5/40 changed yearly.
At running speeds it's always at 5.
I thought maybe my Durametric had an option to show sensor or gauge faults.
Thanks
Your sensor is broken if it's pegged at 5 all the time.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:25 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motopix
Yep, OP change your sensor. It is like $80 or something like that.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I appears you can pull oil pressure information from Durametric... via the OBDII CAN readouts.

See my bigger thread on Durametric live values here; I started a new thread for all live values thinking it may be easier to find via Google search:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html

It appears there are four buckets regarding oil pressure... I have no idea what each does... see my screen snip below from my 2009 C2S Durametric hook up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 08-27-2017, 05:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I think only on 997.2 or later...
Old 08-28-2017, 04:12 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motopix
It stays at 5 going down the highway, at a stop it drops down to idle pressure.

Dumb question for the day: what do 'actual' values mean in the Durametric? Manual never explains it nor tells you that you can run the engine with the cable connected.

Quick Reply: Durametric and oil pressure diags