Sponsored by:

Rear-ended on freeway :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:30 AM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Make sure to get diminished value if they are able to repair the car.
Could you explain what this means? I'm not familiar with that term. Thank you in advance!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffleept
Mine were "hanging" in the same place after impact. After a minute of very aggressive pulling it freed up. Passenger side was buckled too (as my lunch bag was my passenger) and succumbed to the same fate
All the belt pretensioners fire whether buckled or with someone (or a lunch) in the seat or not. If they were locked in a set position after the accident, they all need to be replaced as the pyro pretensioners are a single use only (they won't pretension again is a subsequent accident and I'm not sure they'll even work properly).

Aside from the cosmetic stuff, with the rear end hit, they're going to need to carefully check: the motor & trans mounts, complete exhaust system, where the headers attach to the heads, all the accessory drives and pulleys, etc.

A diminished value claim is money you collect since now that your car has been in an accident it will be worth less to a potential future buyer because of that accident when compared to an identical car that has not been in an accident. This will increase the value of the claim paid to you by the party at fault's insurance company. As hard as it is to believe, you are better off letting them total this out if they give you that option and the settlement number will make you whole for what you have in the car.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:26 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could you explain what this means? I'm not familiar with that term. Thank you in advance!
A car with accident history via CarFax etc. is worth less than a non accident auto. Insurance companies are well versed in this term. The average consumer is not, but when time to sell, a car with damage history is worth less than a 'clean' car. Thus, when an owner is hit due to bo fault of their own, they are entitled to 'Diminished Value' to make them whole.

Dang.....In other words...What Pete said above.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
A car with accident history via CarFax etc. is worth less than a non accident auto. Insurance companies are well versed in this term. The average consumer is not, but when time to sell, a car with damage history is worth less than a 'clean' car. Thus, when an owner is hit due to bo fault of their own, they are entitled to 'Diminished Value' to make them whole.

Dang.....In other words...What Pete said above.
What hasn't been said yet is that no matter how well versed the insurance companies are on the diminished value issue, I've never heard of one that wrote the check without being asked for it. I read somewhere that some of them simply deny the request as a matter of company policy but that could be internet noise.

All I know for sure is that the claim I was involved in could have turned nasty if they had their way. They clearly tried to bait me into a battle rather than a constructive discussion. Best I could tell, not for any particular reason other than trying to wear me down and make me go away. Instead of getting in the gutter with them I just kept sending indisputable proof that these cars DO lose value as a result of an official accident record and that loss of value should be part of the settlement.

Wasn't easy and took about a month but I got what I thought was a fair settlement when all was said and done. One more thing. Assuming you're not at fault, your own insurer will not get involved in a diminished value claim. It's between you and the insurer of the guy who ran into you.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:56 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
What hasn't been said yet is that no matter how well versed the insurance companies are on the diminished value issue, I've never heard of one that wrote the check without being asked for it. I read somewhere that some of them simply deny the request as a matter of company policy but that could be internet noise.

All I know for sure is that the claim I was involved in could have turned nasty if they had their way. They clearly tried to bait me into a battle rather than a constructive discussion. Best I could tell, not for any particular reason other than trying to wear me down and make me go away. Instead of getting in the gutter with them I just kept sending indisputable proof that these cars DO lose value as a result of an official accident record and that loss of value should be part of the settlement.

Wasn't easy and took about a month but I got what I thought was a fair settlement when all was said and done. One more thing. Assuming you're not at fault, your own insurer will not get involved in a diminished value claim. It's between you and the insurer of the guy who ran into you.
Can you disclose which ins co this was with? Or are they all like this?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry it happened to you, keep us posted on repairs... now, one point compared to 991... I think 997 won't be as badly damaged like 991, due to the location of engine and bumpers. 991 rear bumper contains a lot more of the engine than 997... so hopefully you'd be OK, but let us know.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Awful. Please read this thread before you start listening to what body shops and insurance reps have to say: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html
Thanks for the shoutout. That thread has brought clarity to lots of people. I'm always happy to field questions from people all around the country in regards to that repair and ways to avoid any disaster experiences in repairs.

Not sure if you got the answer you needed about DV, or any other aspect of this experience (seatbelts, Airbag, insurance, total loss...) If you need help, feel free to reach out to me personally.

While you're at it, any updates for the community??
Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey, thanks for remembering about this thread. This experience has been a big punch in the gut actually. The car was a total loss, and given that this car took me so long to find, I actually purchased a Range Rover Evoque. Concurrently, I'm still looking for another 2011-2012 dark (slate?) grey manual gearbox coupe. Range rover is buying me patience.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, thanks for remembering about this thread. This experience has been a big punch in the gut actually. The car was a total loss, and given that this car took me so long to find, I actually purchased a Range Rover Evoque. Concurrently, I'm still looking for another 2011-2012 dark (slate?) grey manual gearbox coupe. Range rover is buying me patience.
It's a good thing to have a total loss, DV claims are always hard to get the correct amount and an accident on a Porsche is impossible to sell. Be patience, you will find your 911 one day.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you do get your next dream car, consider installing this for the third brake light- I rely on it on my commute on the 10 each day to hopefully wake up the multitasker behind me (I have no affiliation)

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car, hope you find another you like.

Is it just me or does it seem like more people (idiots, I should say) tend to text on the freeway vs street traffic?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:52 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow! It didn't look like it. What was the estimate and what was the list of stuff damaged?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Wow! It didn't look like it. What was the estimate and what was the list of stuff damaged?
What he said. I am very curious about what the big-ticket repair items were. From your pics I would never have guessed that that was a total loss incident.

Was there engine damage? Airbag deployment? Roll bar deployment? Forgive me, I remember the thread but not the details.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 3rd brake light flasher

Originally Posted by mreloc
When you do get your next dream car, consider installing this for the third brake light- I rely on it on my commute on the 10 each day to hopefully wake up the multitasker behind me (I have no affiliation)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you have instructions on how to instal?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
Do you have instructions on how to instal?

Here are the manufacturer's instructions. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/docum...eFlasherG1.pdf

With regard to our application, I have a cab, so I needed to partially lower the top to raise the center brake light panel, pry out the center brake light (lost a couple clips) and wired it behind the opening in the panel. I needed to add a resistor to prevent the "check center brake light" dash message, but it works awesome. I haven't configured it beyond default settings, so I annoyingly strobe six times each time i tap the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended on freeway :(