Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 CS Sharkwerks/Fister combo vs full Tubi exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:21 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.2 CS Sharkwerks/Fister combo vs full Tubi exhaust?

I apologize in advance for another 997.2 exhaust thread, but I still have a few questions. In fairness, I’ve done my homework and looked at all previous threads on the topic. From what I gather, cross-over pipes are the way to go as too many people have mentioned dubious power losses that accompany x-pipes on 997.2s. There are lots of people advocating for one exhaust set-up or another, but I haven’t seen much in the way of direct comparisons.

Two of the most highly recommended set-ups that have my attention are:

1) Sharkwerks CMB + Fister D/gundo hack side exhausts

2) full Tubi exhaust (center bypass + side cans)

Tubis are obviously more expensive and presumably a bit lighter as the whole thing is stainless steel, but I wonder if they actually sound better? Has anyone had the pleasure of hearing both Tubis and the Sharky/Fister combo in person and if so, can someone explain the acoustic differences between the two set-ups? Is one louder or more melodic or both, or do they basically sound the same? I’ve watched numerous youtube clips, but none seem to do the exhausts any real justice…

Likewise, if anyone’s heard a better sounding set-up than either of those two, please let me know. Some people have noted that the Sharkwerks CMB + factory PSE sounds particularly sweet, so I’m also kinda curious how that compares. Just keep in mind that I’m strictly looking to do a cat-back upgrade and I don’t want a switchable system. I don’t need the extra weight of vacuum actuators and whatnot, and I want my car to sound nice all the time
Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a tubi and all the welds had to be rewelded on all the brackets. obviously italian
Old 07-20-2017, 05:17 PM
fc3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't comment on Tubi but I have Sharkwerks center pipe + Fister cans on my 2010 C4S for a little over a year now

Not once have I ever thought, "I wish there was a switch so I could turn this on & off." It's definitely a louder cold start than stock but settles in after about 15-20 seconds. It probably sounds a little different at idle/low RPM than stock, but I don't feel conspicuously noisy creeping thru my neighborhood early morning or late at night when everything else is quiet.

Above 4000 RPM it is glorious.

I've only heard it from inside the cabin. A few months ago I went for an impromptu Sunday afternoon drive up a nearby canyon. I was going pretty fast with high RPM's before I got to the canyon road, and a 997.1 C4s caught up from behind. We both ran hard in 2nd and 3rd gear for about 6-7 miles. We both pulled off about half way up the canyon. He seemed very favorably impressed with the exhaust note from behind.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:19 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO the Sharkwerks pipes w/ Fister is "particularly sweet" - because it's cheap. I'm yet to hear a full exhaust system (AWE, Fabspeed, Tubi, Akrapovic) that doesn't sound better. They're just prohibitively expensive for most people.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Ducati_John
Advanced

The Fister / Sharkwerks setup is also stainless steel. (I have Sharkwerks and welded my own muffler bypass - essentially the same as what Fister does). If the Tubi is lighter, it's only because there's less metal.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Argon
Advanced

Can't comment on Sharkwerks plus gundo option so not a complete response to your question, but I have the Tubi and love it. Zero drone; increased growl at lower rpm yet not obnoxious; banshee wail at high rpm. It really adds a lot to my driving pleasure.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati_John
The Fister / Sharkwerks setup is also stainless steel. (I have Sharkwerks and welded my own muffler bypass - essentially the same as what Fister does). If the Tubi is lighter, it's only because there's less metal.
I would imagine the center bypasses weigh about the same, but I suspect the Tubi side cans might be a lighter and/or smaller (or at least I hope so!). I care much more about sound, but it would be nice if there's some performance benefit to justify the higher cost.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:33 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I had shark x , then tubi, ended up with the agency power full muffler, x pipe. Best ever, I loved it.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Gundo and BIlly Boat Bypass and am quite happy with the sound.

I have seen an AWE setup. One of the local PCA guys has that and on a spirited BBQ run I followed him. I think he crammed a dragon in the *** of his C4S. It growls, crackles, snorts and I'd swear I saw flames come out of his pipes. It was also louder than my setup.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:21 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I have a Tubi and love it! Wasn't cheap but nothing good ever is!

Tom
Old 07-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Scott997asdf
4th Gear

I have PSE and Tubi center bypass it is perfection on my GTS. I have had AWE sides with shark on another C2S, was ok but not throaty enough. Shark by itself give you a teaser of the sound you could have! Then you want more.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Bleu by you
Intermediate

Default Sharkwerks/Fister

Just completed Sharwerks/Fister conversion on my 997.2 last week. ( self install made east buy suppliers instructions) couldn't be happier! Quite when needed ( neighborhood) spirited when you stick your foot in it. Wallet friendly as well.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts

I have a full tubi and all I get is compliments everytime I drive it. I have had it for 3 years and zero issues. They are very light! The sound is intoxicating at all RPMs.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Good combo, sounds great.

But... any center bypass and fister/gundo sounds fantastic. IMO, sound is not worth much...
Old 07-22-2017, 02:27 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Sharkwerks/Gundo is what took me from really liking my car to flat out loving it. Couldn't be happier (though now I'm tempted to install some 200 cell cats to really **** off the neighbours).

Quick Reply: 997.2 CS Sharkwerks/Fister combo vs full Tubi exhaust?