Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997.1 Powertrain Warranty from Porsche Dealer (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1000491-997-1-powertrain-warranty-from-porsche-dealer.html)

wjones1002 07-19-2017 10:19 PM

997.1 Powertrain Warranty from Porsche Dealer

2007 C4 with 50k on the clock.

Porsche dealer offering 36 month, 24k mile, for $2,500. Seems like cheap insurance for those remote, catastrophic issues: RMS, IMS, scored bores. Would you get it?

Need to decide by Saturday delivery.

lowbee 07-19-2017 10:21 PM

Ask to see the fine print and see what is excluded, seems too good to be true

Doug H 07-19-2017 10:42 PM

Yes, and you can negotiate those prices as well.

996AE 07-19-2017 10:42 PM

Check with Fidelity

msingh5649 07-19-2017 11:47 PM

Insurance

Originally Posted by 996AE (Post 14335724)
Check with Fidelity

So I would ask-
who underwrites the policy/coverage? It won't be Porsche. It isn't Porsche on even new CPO. They have it underwritten (so the company that actually pays) by Ryan/Fidelity etc.

What kind of coverage is it? You would prefer an exclusion policy that lists only those items that ARE NOT covered.

The other kind lists ONLY the things that are covered. Those while less expensive are usually a less desirable option. They can't possibly list everything that applies so the company will always have an out.

TheBruce 07-20-2017 01:06 AM

When I checked a few months ago Fidelity offered a 2yr 24k and 3yr 36k powertrain warranty. For a car with 45k mikes the rates were around $1600 and $1900 respectively.

Let us know who underwrites the policy and the exclusions.

wjones1002 07-20-2017 02:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post details back here once I've reviewed it more thoroughly on Saturday. It definitely had a list of covered components which included crank & bearings, rods, pistons, rings, valves, camshaft, timing chain, etc. I don't recall whether it also had a generic "any parts lubricated by engine oil", although, technically that wouldn't cover the IMS bearing.

I'm leaning towards passing.

wjones1002 07-22-2017 01:55 PM

Got it is $2,000 for 36 month / 24k miles. I could tell he was still making a killing on it but went for it. Took comfort in the "all internal lubricated parts." Here is the info, curios as to ppls opinion. I'll post pics of the car separately.

Underwritten by US Warranty Corp. Here's the language (note all of these words are capitalized although the document doesn't contain actual definitions of them)

Engine: All internal lubricated parts; cylinder block (excluding freeze plugs); cylinder heads; flywheel/flexplate; harmonic balancer; intake manifold; exhaust manifold; oil pan; oil pump; timing belt; timing chain; timing chain cover; timing gers/sprockets; turbo/supercharger; valve covers

Cooling and fuel: fuel injectors (ex. clogged injectors); fuel pump; thermostat; thermostat housing; throttle body assembly; wter pump; water pump housing

transmission: Transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; transmission mounts; transfer case and all internal parts; vacuum modulator

Drivetrain: automatic front locking hubs; axle shaft bearings; axle supports; cv joints; differential and all internal parts; drive axle housing and all internal parts; drive shaft; final drive housing and all internal parts; hub bearings; locking rings; properller/drive shaft; universal joints; wheel bearings

seals and gaskets: all seals and gaskets on parts listed above

oronymo 03-12-2019 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by wjones1002 (Post 14341825)
Got it is $2,000 for 36 month / 24k miles. I could tell he was still making a killing on it but went for it. Took comfort in the "all internal lubricated parts." Here is the info, curios as to ppls opinion. I'll post pics of the car separately.

Underwritten by US Warranty Corp. Here's the language (note all of these words are capitalized although the document doesn't contain actual definitions of them)

Engine: All internal lubricated parts; cylinder block (excluding freeze plugs); cylinder heads; flywheel/flexplate; harmonic balancer; intake manifold; exhaust manifold; oil pan; oil pump; timing belt; timing chain; timing chain cover; timing gers/sprockets; turbo/supercharger; valve covers

Cooling and fuel: fuel injectors (ex. clogged injectors); fuel pump; thermostat; thermostat housing; throttle body assembly; wter pump; water pump housing

transmission: Transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; transmission mounts; transfer case and all internal parts; vacuum modulator

Drivetrain: automatic front locking hubs; axle shaft bearings; axle supports; cv joints; differential and all internal parts; drive axle housing and all internal parts; drive shaft; final drive housing and all internal parts; hub bearings; locking rings; properller/drive shaft; universal joints; wheel bearings

seals and gaskets: all seals and gaskets on parts listed above

thinking about getting the same thing for my 997.1 but direct from fidelity.

Any claims? Any regrets?

Flat_Six_ 03-12-2019 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by oronymo (Post 15697381)

thinking about getting the same thing for my 997.1 but direct from fidelity.

Any claims? Any regrets?

2 claims with my Fidelity Gold. Saved me a lot of money. Glad I got it.

RGS 03-15-2019 01:41 PM

Interesting! I have a 14 Cayman S with 55k miles on it, my warranty is up in August this year. I was wondering if I could get a warranty through the Porsche dealer for the powertrain. I wonder how the Porsche warranty price is compared to Fidelity and I wonder if it would be easier to honor since Porsche sold the warranty, less hoops to jump through to get repairs approved?

Fahrer 03-15-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by RGS (Post 15705867)
Interesting! I have a 14 Cayman S with 55k miles on it, my warranty is up in August this year. I was wondering if I could get a warranty through the Porsche dealer for the powertrain. I wonder how the Porsche warranty price is compared to Fidelity and I wonder if it would be easier to honor since Porsche sold the warranty, less hoops to jump through to get repairs approved?

I have a Fidelity Platinum warranty and I had only one claim. My water pump failed at about 25K miles ( 8yrs old). All I paid was the $100 deductible. My Porsche dealer said they never had a problem with Fidelity.