Short term storing my 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
I wonder if there is a premium if the original tires with original wheel weights also have the original air as delivered from the factory?

Honestly, how do you prove they are the original tires to the car it rolled off the assembly line with? Sure, the date code may be a tell tale but maybe dealer swapped them out early on for some reason or had them rebalanced during a normal service. And if original tires are such a great thing why doesn't everybody just get new tires when a car is brand new so they can save the original tires when they go to sell the car?
The date code will tell the tale. It is accurate down the week and will match the production date of the vehicle. If at some the wheels were rebalanced you would be able to tell, the wheels will be different than the ones from the factory.

Many collectors do remove the original tires and wheels from brand new vehicles they consider to be good prospects for future collectibility. If they drive the car they do it on a spare set of wheels and tires. I know a few owners of Carrera GTs, GT3 4.0, 918s and 911Rs who have done this. The fellow who I bought my 996TT did it too. Heck I know guy with GT3 4.0 with 127 miles on it. It has the original dust from the dealer delivery still on it.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 07-11-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
Some may like it, but again you're speculating with the word "if". If this car becomes a collectible item, from a pure appraisal standpoint, the light gray interior is devaluing it.
And you are speculating the grey will be devaluing in the future.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
beautiful car!
but doubt they are original tires at 35k miles....
I think soon after buy the car new the original owner bought and installed a second set of wheels and tires and put the originals into storage.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
And you are speculating the grey will be devaluing in the future.

Actually it's not speculation but fact. I'm an appraiser.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So you can time travel twenty years into the future and do appraisals?

I am a collector car owner and collector car appraiser. It is my job to speculate on the future and hedge for the future.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What interior colors appraise the highest?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
On 996TTs currently natural leather and black.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:51 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
From just a valuation standpoint, black. Light colors are usually less desirable. Surprisingly (to me) bright colors are somewhat desirable. Like a full red interior.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
s65e90
Drifting

So you can time travel twenty years into the future and do appraisals?

I am a collector car owner and collector car appraiser. It is my job to speculate on the future and hedge for the future.

You're also always right from reading some of these threads. If you're an appraiser you know the light colors are much less desirable and affect the valuation of the car in question. Why would I need to time travel? I'm speaking in todays market. If you're an appraiser you would be doing the same. And as of today, light gray wouldn't be the first car I would be looking at as a future classic. This isn't speculating. It's what I do every day.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You're also always right from reading some of these threads. If you're an appraiser you know the light colors are much less desirable and affect the valuation of the car in question. Why would I need to time travel? I'm speaking in todays market. If you're an appraiser you would be doing the same. And as of today, light gray wouldn't be the first car I would be looking at as a future classic. This isn't speculating. It's what I do every day.
I am not talking about today's market at all in this thread. I am speculating, hedging and offering a little advice about the potential market 15-20 years from now.

But what I do know about today's market is that tastes often change dramatically over time so it would be pointless to absolutely declare now what will be desirable or not desirable in 15-20 years. I find it is best to look at the complete car, not just one factor. Just as you wrote surprisingly some bold interior colors are currently desirable in 996TTs because they work well with exterior color. The will offer similar surprises.

As for me knowing it all. I clearly do not. But my track record with collector cars pretty good and I put my money where my mouth is. Back in the eighties I bought a couple of cars that were considered at the time "never to be collectable" and all of them are now collectible and worth multiple times what they were purchased for and the best one of the bunch is now worth over 25 times what I paid for it. And other cars that I advised others buy over the past twenty years have done just as well.

How many collector cars do, or have, you owned?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:21 PM
s65e90
Drifting

I am not talking about today's market at all in this thread. I am speculating, hedging and offering a little advice about the potential market 15-20 years from now.

But what I do know about today's market is that tastes often change dramatically over time so it would be pointless to absolutely declare now what will be desirable or not desirable in 15-20 years. I find it is best to look at the complete car, not just one factor. Just as you wrote surprisingly some bold interior colors are currently desirable in 996TTs because they work well with exterior color. The will offer similar surprises.

As for me knowing it all. I clearly do not. But my track record with collector cars pretty good and I put my money where my mouth is. Back in the eighties I bought a couple of cars that were considered at the time "never to be collectable" and all of them are now collectible and worth multiple times what they were purchased for and the best one of the bunch is now worth over 25 times what I paid for it. And other cars that I advised others buy over the past twenty years have done just as well.

How many collector cars do, or have, you owned?

I've owned +35 cars. And this thread is labeled "short term" storage, now you're talking about 15-20 years, lol!!!

And appraisals, all appraisals are done in real time, today's value. I can backdate values but you cannot ever put a future value on a car as that's merely speculation and no quality, competent appraiser would do so. You seem quick to want to point out who you are, but I'm a licensed appraiser doing this daily. Also certified and licensed by ASE, Icar, etc.

I was just trying to shed light on this thread as going back and forth re: oem tires and storage, etc. would again be a small moot point as the OP is NOT starting with the most desirable 996tt. These are mass produced cars. IMO we're lucky they are appreciating. My advice is not to store anything, I don't car what it's worth.

Smiles from miles driven are worth much more than my cars sitting in the garage appreciating for someone else.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've owned +35 cars. And this thread is labeled "short term" storage, now you're talking about 15-20 years, lol!!!

And appraisals, all appraisals are done in real time, today's value. I can backdate values but you cannot ever put a future value on a car as that's merely speculation and no quality, competent appraiser would do so. You seem quick to want to point out who you are, but I'm a licensed appraiser doing this daily. Also certified and licensed by ASE, Icar, etc.

I was just trying to shed light on this thread as going back and forth re: oem tires and storage, etc. would again be a small moot point as the OP is NOT starting with the most desirable 996tt. These are mass produced cars. IMO we're lucky they are appreciating. My advice is not to store anything, I don't car what it's worth.

Smiles from miles driven are worth much more than my cars sitting in the garage appreciating for someone else.
If you had closely read the very first post you would have understood he was also interesting in possibly marketing the car as a potential collectible while still driving it now and then. Then later in the thread he expressed gratitude for the long term marketing advice I offered. That is what I do, investment advisor, in a small variety of areas.

And I too recommend driving whatever car you buy no matter how rare/expensive.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 07-11-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Cars with grey interiors get less money than black or tan or red in todays market.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

If I were speculating on future 996 interior colors I'd put my money on Nephrite Green.

For what its worth, I passed over cars with the light gray interior when looking for a 996TT. Wanted black but ended up with Metropol Blue which I really like.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van1
If I were speculating on future 996 interior colors I'd put my money on Nephrite Green.

For what its worth, I passed over cars with the light gray interior when looking for a 996TT. Wanted black but ended up with Metropol Blue which I really like.
Never seen that green in person. What exterior color do you think it combines with best?

The light grey only looks good paired with a couple of bright exterior colors and needs carbon fiber trim and black floor mats to give it some contrast.

Metropol Blue is a great interior and bit underrated right now. I think in the future that blue interior will be prized. Looks amazing with aluminum trim. What color is your exterior?

Quick Reply: Short term storing my 996TT