Short term storing my 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
OK, so please tell me what premium YOU would pay for tires that are not safe to drive on?
You do not drive on them. You put them on the car when on display at a show or concord or when car is going up for auction.

I know owners of cars from the fifties and sixties that still have the original tires on the original wheels with original factory installed wheel weights. How much do think just those original wheels and tires are worth? Say from a Ferrari or pre-A 356? I will give you hint, possibly well over $50k. Originality is the holy grail of ultimate value.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You do not drive on them. You put them on the car when on display at a show or concord or when car is going up for auction.

I know owners of cars from the fifties and sixties that still have the original tires on the original wheels with original factory installed wheel weights. How much do think those are worth? Say from a Ferrari or pre-A 356? I will give you hint, possibly well over $50k. Originality is the holy grail of ultimate value.
That's kind of an extreme comp... Personally I'd expect a credit from the seller to cover the disposal fee
Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

The original tires on the car are dangerous. Original tires are what caused Paul Walker's death.

Its too bad you will not get to drive the car for long or the way it was meant to be driven, these are awesome cars.

Very nice car. If you can get your asking price, sell it and buy one with 50 to 70K on it and drive the thing, take it to the track, mod it, have fun with it.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
That's kind of an extreme comp... Personally I'd expect a credit from the seller to cover the disposal fee
It is not an extreme comparison at all if you have been involved in the collector car world. Originality is everything. You could buy a pre-A for $3000.00 thirty years ago because not many people then thought of them as a collector car. Same goes for Ferarri Daytonas, Dinos, etc. Car collecting is long term speculation.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
The original tires on the car are dangerous. ...
No one is saying anyone should drive on the original tires.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not an extreme comparison at all if you have been involved in the collector car world. Originality is everything. You could buy a pre-A for $3000.00 thirty years ago because not many people then thought of them as a collector car. Same goes for Ferarri Daytonas, Dinos, etc. Car collecting is long term speculation.
I understand your point. This is my first P-car, so the notion of garaging it along with its original tires is way outside my headspace.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:53 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I know owners of cars from the fifties and sixties that still have the original tires on the original wheels with original factory installed wheel weights. How much do think just those original wheels and tires are worth? Say from a Ferrari or pre-A 356? I will give you hint, possibly well over $50k. Originality is the holy grail of ultimate value.
So answer my question...How much would you pay for those original useless tires?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So answer my question...How much would you pay for those original useless tires?
This is an about how much I would pay for them now it's about how much in the future a potential collector would pay for them mounted on the original wheels with the original wheel weights from the factory.

You can throw them away and get nothing now or you can just store them on the wheels and maybe get a few thousand dollars down the line. It's collector car speculation, an investment.

To answer your question I wouldn't want just the tires, but if he was selling the tires and wheels togethet I might be willing to pay a few thousand dollars extra for them if I was buying the car they originally came on.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

More data to support "there's a sucker born every second"
Old 07-10-2017, 12:31 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

Comparing apples to oranges really. And many older tires are avail no in repros.

If we're nickel and diming this car for future value the interior kills it being light gray.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

More data to support "there's a sucker born every second"
The only sucker is someone who throws away a potentially good investment for no reason. If you have the original tires on the original wheels what harm is it to preserve them just like preserving the rest of the car?
Old 07-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
Comparing apples to oranges really. And many older tires are avail no in repros.

If we're nickel and diming this car for future value the interior kills it being light gray.
It is an apples to apples comparison.

Repo tires are just that reproductions and only worth what the manufacturer sells them for. Original tires are the only original tires for that car in existence and will be worth something if the car becomes a collectible.

Quite a few people like the light grey interior with certain exterior colors.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:15 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

It is an apples to apples comparison.

Repo tires are just that reproductions and only worth what the manufacturer sells them for. Original tires are the only original tires for that car in existence and will be worth something if the car becomes a collectible.

Quite a few people like the light grey interior with certain exterior colors.
Some may like it, but again you're speculating with the word "if". If this car becomes a collectible item, from a pure appraisal standpoint, the light gray interior is devaluing it.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:57 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

beautiful car!
but doubt they are original tires at 35k miles....
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I wonder if there is a premium if the original tires with original wheel weights also have the original air as delivered from the factory?

Honestly, how do you prove they are the original tires to the car it rolled off the assembly line with? Sure, the date code may be a tell tale but maybe dealer swapped them out early on for some reason or had them rebalanced during a normal service. And if original tires are such a great thing why doesn't everybody just get new tires when a car is brand new so they can save the original tires when they go to sell the car?

Quick Reply: Short term storing my 996TT