Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking steering rack?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:50 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Leaking steering rack?

My steering rack just started leaking fluid, 70K on the car. Looks to be coming out of the driver side boot. Anybody had this happen? How common is it? Just asking for information sake. Rebuilt rack is on the way. I did change out the inner tie rod ends about 10K miles ago when i was chasing down a squeak. The drivers side was full of water, probably the cause of my leak.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
My steering rack just started leaking fluid, 70K on the car. Looks to be coming out of the driver side boot. Anybody had this happen? How common is it? Just asking for information sake. Rebuilt rack is on the way. I did change out the inner tie rod ends about 10K miles ago when i was chasing down a squeak. The drivers side was full of water, probably the cause of my leak.
The steering rack is about the only thing that hasn't leaked on my 2003 Turbo. My 2nd hand info is it is kind of rare.

I don't know if this applies to Turbos but the Porsche techs tell me in some cases a high pressure relief valve in the power steering hydraulic system fails and subjects the rack to too high of pressure. This overwhelms the rack seals and they leak. The boots catch the fluid and the first sign the owner has of a problem is the power steering pump is noisy due to low fluid level. If not caught in time this low fluid level ruins the power steering pump and the rack, the pump, and the line with bad valve in it have to be replaced.

Not sure how the pressure relief valve can be checked out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking steering rack?