Sponsored by:

Options for self tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 12:48 AM
dos531
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for self tuning

Hey guys, i'm looking for a way to tune the ecu on my 996tt. Not looking to spend hundreds every time I make a change to the car, and have plenty of tuning experience so i'm capable of doing it myself and willing to assume the risks. I see that cobb used to offer software to modify your own tunes, but it doesnt look like that's available anymore, unless there are copies floating around? Are there any other options out there? I'm not opposed to buying an accessport if there is a way for me to modify it myself without going through their "pro" tuners.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:10 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dos531
Hey guys, i'm looking for a way to tune the ecu on my 996tt. Not looking to spend hundreds every time I make a change to the car, and have plenty of tuning experience so i'm capable of doing it myself and willing to assume the risks. I see that cobb used to offer software to modify your own tunes, but it doesnt look like that's available anymore, unless there are copies floating around? Are there any other options out there? I'm not opposed to buying an accessport if there is a way for me to modify it myself without going through their "pro" tuners.

Thanks in advance!
I was just on a VW Golf R forum (I have one as my "utility" car) and someone fried their ECU by accident and the comment was that these things cost $2-3K for a VW R. God knows what they cost for a Porsche . . . . .

I'd be careful :-)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:31 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Proefi standalone is unlocked and ready to use
Old 06-24-2017, 02:07 PM
dos531
Advanced

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Proefi standalone is unlocked and ready to use
That's an option, but I think its way overkill for this car's build. Really just looking to modify tunes on the stock ecu.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:52 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Then the only real option without sinking tens of thousands of $$ for tuning software is to go cobb and work with mitch to tune your own car.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:31 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was very disappointed coming from a 928 with a real-time in-car tuning option for under $1k to the 996TT which does not even have a real-time tuning option available at all. The only sanely priced out-of-car tuning suites were from Cobb and Eurodyne. I think you can still get a Eurodyne Maestro 7 suite.

http://www.eurodyne.ca/shop/porsche/...r-porsche-996/

Dan
Old 06-24-2017, 09:28 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dprantl
I was very disappointed coming from a 928 with a real-time in-car tuning option for under $1k to the 996TT which does not even have a real-time tuning option available at all. The only sanely priced out-of-car tuning suites were from Cobb and Eurodyne. I think you can still get a Eurodyne Maestro 7 suite.

http://www.eurodyne.ca/shop/porsche/...r-porsche-996/

Dan
Run Eurodyne Maestro on my track Audi TT and street TT, great if you want to do some tweaks at your own risk. Can be a little tricky to use but overall very happy with it. Mostly just throttle and some fuel corrections to dial in all the boltons.

On my 996 I went with UMW.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:36 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only real way is to tune on a dyno if you fo it yourself
Old 06-25-2017, 10:36 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
The only real way is to tune on a dyno if you fo it yourself
Dynos dont get the same results as street tuning were load and drag are much different
Old 06-25-2017, 03:13 PM
dos531
Advanced

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Dynos dont get the same results as street tuning were load and drag are much different
Definitely, if you have an area available, an actual pull is much more realistic than any dyno. I used to do my tuning at an airstrip near my house in the middle of the night.

Can't believe there is so little support for tuning these cars. I'm really disappointed in cobb for pulling their self tuning software. I would have bought one already. The maestro looks interesting, ill have to do some more research on that one. I'd rather pay more initially as long as I have the ability to adjust tunes myself.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not to get into an argument but the the dyno will give you more consistant results!

Dyno Tune Benefits:

MBT can be tuned
Consistent load based pulls (Mustang dyno for example)
Controlled environment
Guarantees maximizing output
Very fast resolution (often faster than OBD2)
Not reliant on OBD2 information
Useful for seeing quick and very minor torque changes
Many 0-5v inputs for boost/AFR/RPM and more

Myth: Road tunes are better than dyno tunes because they more adequately represent real-
world conditions.

Truth: Most calibration*-grade automotive dynamometers (dynos) provide a mechanism to simulate not only real vehicle weight, but wind resistance as well.

It comes down to an experienced tunners knowledge?

Quick Reply: Options for self tuning