OBE WRONG FORUM - Disappearing oil in a 02 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBE WRONG FORUM - Disappearing oil in a 02 C4S

PLEASE IGNORE. POSTED IN WRONG FORUM. MOVED TO 996 FORUM. TRYING TO DELETE

I've had my 02 C4s for about a month now. I've put 1000 miles on it, it is my daily driver. Best commute I've ever had, no matter what the traffic.

The other day I actually waited for the computer oil diagnostic to run. It reported me as actually below low. So i checked the dipstick and that looked to be the case. I put a quart of mobil1 0W-40 in. Didn't notice anything unusual in and around the filler tube. Drove 10 miles and ran the diagnostic again. Still below low. Added another quart. Still below low. Added another quart and then it was 1 bar above low. Added another and it was at full. I actually was doing this in half quart increments (per my manual) until I got impatient with it still being below low.

I drove the car for several days since then. It is driving great, sounds great. I have no white smioke at start up (only have had that and a little white goo in the tube when I haven't driven it much and run the engine for short durations so it never warms up - which is just when I need to move it around the driveway). The oil pressure when I first reached full on the oil (stupidly I never confirmed this level with the dipstick) was more or less pegged at 5bar if I was doing anything other than idling. Now a few days later is more like 2 bar at idle and going up to 3-5 bar depending on the rpms. I checked the oil. The dipstick and diagnostic both seem to confirm that I am at low again. I have no oil leaks that I can see. There is no smoke ever that I can see. My driver side tailpipe is sooty (black).

So is it possible to burn almost 4 quarts of oil in a week (over ~300 miles of driving at local to highway speeds) and not see big clouds of smoke? Is something else going on? I get the tailpipe points to oil being burned in the engine, but this seems alot. What I'm doing and going to do:
1) I've wiped tailpipe clean to see how quickly it soots up again
2) Remove the filler cap at idle and check for a vacuum pull to see if this is an AOS related problem
3) inquired locally about voodoo

Other suggestions? Should I try bumping up to 5W oil from 0W?

Thanks.

Last edited by DASC4S; 06-16-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 AM
jungt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are posting on the 996 Turbo Forum?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:03 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jungt
You are posting on the 996 Turbo Forum?
Apparently so. Sorry, didn't catch I selected the wrong forum. Moving it now.

Quick Reply: OBE WRONG FORUM - Disappearing oil in a 02 C4S