996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Barefoot

Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Why in the world would you want to look eccentric?
Old 06-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
This is from the internet so you can't be completely certain that it is true, however I pulled up several similar pages with the same information on them:

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/s...289227fb0e05f#

If true, you do not need to wear shoes in Illinois or any other state in order to drive a car.

If your feet really stink, however, it may be more likely that a police officer would give you a ticket rather than just a warning :-)
Looks like I stand corrected (it is not illegal to drive a car barefoot). Now I'll have to go and make sure it's still required to operate a motorcycle with shoes, since I was also told that by the many safety classes I've taken.

I did read, however, that a county or city law could override the state law, so I'll see if I can find it anywhere.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

There are obviously theoretical reasons why not to drive barefoot, however I have never read or heard about an accident caused by doing that.

One does observe, on a daily basis, drivers who are dangerous because of distracted driving from using electronic devices such as smart phones, eating, and conversing, while also operating a motor vehicle. Texting and activities such as that are supposedly the cause of a very high percentage of accidents today; I have seen figures of about 1/3.

This is not to mention those idiots who park themselves in the far left lane on a freeway, going several or more miles under the speed limit, who seem not to notice lots of people being forced to pass them on the right; obviously, they are not paying attention, either.

These above are frequent, dangerous activities leading to accidents. Driving barefoot must be about number 2000 on a list of causes of accidents, or of injury to people, for example, having to exit a car quickly in an emergency :-)
That always struck me the same way - when instructors would explain this about wearing shoes while driving - that it seems highly unlikely and strange that something this trivial would come up given the 30,000 car deaths per year in the US. I cannot imagine one would focus on having to explain this. Then again, there was a lot I didn't agree with in driving school's taught by PE/gym teachers in a high school.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:25 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Looks like I stand corrected (it is not illegal to drive a car barefoot). Now I'll have to go and make sure it's still required to operate a motorcycle with shoes, since I was also told that by the many safety classes I've taken.

I did read, however, that a county or city law could override the state law, so I'll see if I can find it anywhere.
I'm kind of surprised that it appears to be legal to drive barefoot in all of the 50 States (or 58, if you believe Obama
)

So many things are illegal in so many places, it's surprising that it hasn't been outlawed by at least one state government.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

If I'm going to be cruising on the highway for awhile (read "road trip") I'll sometimes kick off my shoes. Driving around town I always wear shoes.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,429 Posts

If you are in a 4-Seasons climate in February, it does look eccentric.
No it doesn't.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,429 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Why in the world would you want to look eccentric?
He thinks it makes him cool. But what it really does is make him a poser.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
He thinks it makes him cool. But what it really does is make him a poser.
He is trolling us, spewing his long-winded drivel. Nothing to do with like how do I fix this or that, only posts weird nonsense stuff. I never seen anything like this, and he is wasting server space.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 AM
dgw
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving barefoot since 1960, whats the big deal?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:05 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by dgw
I've been driving barefoot since 1960, whats the big deal?
Cool.

Which of Obama's 58 United States did you drive in 57 years ago?

:-)
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned Vibram FiveFingers, yet. OP, have you considered those?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by manimal
Surprised no one has mentioned Vibram FiveFingers, yet. OP, have you considered those?
Just googled them; they are even uglier than my feet!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:20 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently bought a pair of Merrell barefoot style trail running shoes (MEN'S VAPOR GLOVE - not with individual toe slots) on a whim. Turns out these are fantastic driving shoes because of the feel and the sole runs up a little on each side. These have excellent traction and will definitely be my shoe of choice on the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving Barefoot