Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Hose failure and warning on replacement hose (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Hose failure and warning on replacement hose (video inside)

This is probably my first contribution to the site.

Got a 2001 996T with 50k miles.

Haven't really driven it much but it passed PPI with flying colors. This failure is not something you can easily spot until it fails.

To make my story short, car started smoking and I experienced a big coolant leak on the way to work. Luckily I was still fairly close to the house.

Once I got the car in my garage, I was able to pressurize the system and quickly found the culprit, this hose on the passenger side of the engine bay, just under the boost hose. Hose rubber gave in I guess, it had about an inch long cut or opening.

It almost looked as if someone had cut it with a knife. After closer inspection, it simply failed due to age I guess.

Moving on with the story, I ordered replacement hoses for both sides, left and right and here's when things got interesting. I noticed the part numbers on the original hoses had been updated and so the new hoses looked slightly different as you can see below:

After I installed both left and right new hoses, I flushed my coolant and refilled using a vaccuum tool and took her out for a test run and what happens?

As soon as the system was fully pressurized and at normal temp, the brand new hose on the driver's side that attaches directly to the water pump POPPED OUT, that's right, it simply popped out with retaining clip in place.

After much cursing and kicking, I recorded a short video demonstrating such failure. Not sure if this is "well-known" within the community or not, but I found out the hard way. These newly revised hoses are not compatible with the retaining clips, meaning, the little tabs on the hose fitting do NOT stick out enough to get caught on the clip, does that make sense?
Using the old hose and clips, the hose simply does not move once installed and locked in place. The new hose? well, see for yourself:

After I recorded this video, I simply used a flat head screw driver to push the little tabs out a little further, just enough to lock on the clip. This seems to work but it is not ideal....how do I get this info to Porsche?

I tried reaching out to ECS Tuning to validate part numbers and make sure no errors were made and they simply wrote back offering me a return as long as I pay for shipping....

I'm posting this here to warn other owners and to expose this little defect that could have potential massive consequences.

These are the part numbers in question:

OLD:
996.106.501.74 passenger side
996.106.502.74 driver's side

NEW:
996.106.501.77 passenger side
997.106.502.00 drivers side

Last edited by atlzhp6m; 06-02-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: video link not working
Old 06-02-2017, 05:25 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

I replace all the rubber hose in the engine compartment when I did the coolant pipes repair. I also had problem with the clips, not clipping properly. Until I found something interesting. There are many different sizes of those clips and if they are by mistake switch with other from the same system, they won't hold properly.....
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
I replace all the rubber hose in the engine compartment when I did the coolant pipes repair. I also had problem with the clips, not clipping properly. Until I found something interesting. There are many different sizes of those clips and if they are by mistake switch with other from the same system, they won't hold properly.....
+1000 - I had this happen to me with the clips on the front rads. the clips didn't catch 100% although felt good. There was leaking until I found the right clips.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:53 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Look at the parts catalog and you will found different number for the left hand and the right hand ones......Very small difference when you look at them but major difference when pressure applied!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2017, 05:58 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jferrante
+1000 - I had this happen to me with the clips on the front rads. the clips didn't catch 100% although felt good. There was leaking until I found the right clips.
I can say I was lucky, after the coolant pipes were welded I decided to leak test the pipes while the engine was out and guess what happen lol!!!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:10 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
I can say I was lucky, after the coolant pipes were welded I decided to leak test the pipes while the engine was out and guess what happen lol!!!
Very smart indeed, I should have done the same thing.
Guys, thanks for posting the clip information... I could see the boost hose clips were obviously bigger than the water hose clips.

I'm going to order new ones just in case.

thanks again everyone!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:11 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Old 06-04-2017, 11:04 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Coolant Hose failure and warning on replacement hose (video inside)