Sponsored by:

PPI/Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 12:11 AM
MNHockeyDad
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on this one.

The selling dealer paid to have the belt replaced and the "rattle" diagnosed with the belt off. The mechanic (who is evidently a 30-year Porsche guy who has a 997 turbo) said the noise is only audible when under the car with his head up under it. They could not hear it when they walked out from under it, or when the car was off the lift. A new belt was installed.

The selling dealer is also paying to have the annual service completed by FCI. The oil overfill was not that bad and there was no water intrusion noted from the plugged drains.

The previous Porsche dealers where it was serviced were contacted and it looks like the vehicle had regular maintenance. We should be able to get the list of services completed.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

Assuming that you do proceed with purchasing the car, consider flying to NC and driving the car back to MN. That is a great way to begin your ownership experience with the 996TT and you'll have a unique story (and adventure) to build upon as you go forward.

It makes the acquisition special in its own way, rather than just a business transaction. At least, that's been my experience.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my04996tt
Would also suggest getting a copy of the DME report and check mileage, over-revs, hours, etc
I was going to say the same thing. Get the over-rev report.

MNHockeyDad - Have you been to any local Porsche car meets? You could check the engine sound out yourself...
Old 06-10-2017, 01:57 AM
MNHockeyDad
Track Day

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
I was going to say the same thing. Get the over-rev report.

MNHockeyDad - Have you been to any local Porsche car meets? You could check the engine sound out yourself...
Thank you for the replies. I have been to our local "Cars and Coffee" that is well-represented by the Porsche clan. This car sounds normal, but I am new to the club so I defer to you all.

IMG_0495.MOV.mov
Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM
MNHockeyDad
Track Day

I need to read up on how to attach a video. The issues in the PPI were addressed and a regular service history has been noted. The service records are being gathered from the previous Porsche dealerships. We are planning on buying it this week!

Quick Reply: PPI/Purchase Questions