Sponsored by:

Cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cluster question

If replacing a cluster does it have to be year and turbo dependent? I know it needs to be auto or manual specific. Just not sure on the rest.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by trendy996
If replacing a cluster does it have to be year and turbo dependent? I know it needs to be auto or manual specific. Just not sure on the rest.
If you want to be sure check in with a Porsche dealer parts department and find out what the compatible cluster parts numbers are for your car and note these. When (if) you search for a used cluster then you know what part numbers will work and which part numbers won't.

My limited experience with my Boxster is the cluster can be a different year but it should be within that model run. In the case of my Boxster this meant a 2000, 2001, or 2002 (the MY of my Boxster) would work.

Because of a stuck on airbag warning light and spidering I picked up a used cluster from Parts Heaven -- and the Parts Heaven guy did some research and had a suitable cluster pulled from stock (Added: I also had a picture of the cluster and its part number from before when I had the cluster out and shared that with him) -- and then I had the dealer tech swap the original cluster with the "new" one. The new cluster works just fine and exhibits no signs of any problems. f/x<fingers crossed>

FYI I challenged the tech to try to find a way to change the miles in the "new" cluster to agree with the original cluster miles be he was unsuccessful. (I figured he would be but not because he is not capable but because Porsche just doesn't allow for the odometer to be changed except in very specific cases.)

All I did was note the odometer reading of the old cluster and that of the new one so I can calculate what the actual mileage is. (The tech also noted all of these numbers on the service department paperwork so I have that on record too.)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:33 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

There as several others places that can zero out your cluster or program it with whatever mileage you tell them. I have a guy local to me that does this and have had it done personally. Takes 30 seconds to do. I sold my old cluster here on rennlist and had the mileage reset to zero prior to the sale. The dealer PIWIS only has the ability to program a cluster that has less that 60 miles (100km) on it.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
There as several others places that can zero out your cluster or program it with whatever mileage you tell them. I have a guy local to me that does this and have had it done personally. Takes 30 seconds to do. I sold my old cluster here on rennlist and had the mileage reset to zero prior to the sale. The dealer PIWIS only has the ability to program a cluster that has less that 60 miles (100km) on it.
A highly regarded shop in Palo Alto CA doesn't work on Boxster clusters. The place in Las Vegas could do it -- I think, told me it could do it -- but I just didn't want to go to the hassle of sending the thing out and waiting a week or so for it to come back. (Also, I've sent the original cluster there 2 times now and both times it has come back not fixed though I wasn't charged anything.)

I never bothered to check if any other places near me could have adjusted the "new" cluster's mileage.

The thing is in the dash and working so I'm just going to leave it alone. Not anxious to tempt fate and have it removed again.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:46 PM
leafdude555
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am curious about this too. Does the turbo gauge cluster differ from the MkII Carrera gauge? Or can you swap a Mk2 Carrera gauge cluster into a turbo and it will show the boost pressure (and whatever else in the gauge is turbo exclusive) without any coding or programming?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:06 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I heard Ferrari can reset your odometer
Old 05-29-2017, 10:45 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer uses one pn for every year. Ive noticed that the turbo has a 8k max. I've also noticed that the 996.2 cluster has the 8k max rpm.

Quick Reply: Cluster question