Porsche 996 Turbo 60,000 Mile Service & BMC Filter Upgrade at BBi Autosport

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:29 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Porsche 996 Turbo 60,000 Mile Service & BMC Filter Upgrade at BBi Autosport

Attachment 1344394
Porsche 996 Turbo 60,000 Mile Service & BMC Filter Upgrade at BBi Autosport

We just wanted to take a quick moment to share this Porsche 996 Turbo that recently stopped by for its 60,000 mile maintenance. To improve performance and protection, we used Motul engine oil, Brembo brake fluid, and a BMC air filter. Here are some detailed pictures of the upgrades and services performed.

Upgrades & Services Performed:

Porsche 996 Turbo 60k Service & Multi Point Inspection
  • Motul Synthetic Engine Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Cabin Air Filter
  • High Performance BMC F1 Replacement Air Filters
  • Brembo HTC Brake Fluid
  • Fuel Filter
  • Spark Plugs

60,000 Mile Service Kit

Factory Porsche Maintenance Checklist

We used the Motul fully synthetic engine oil instead for the best performance and protection. Other grades of Motul are also available

High Performance BMC F1 Replacement Air Filter

To help the engine breathe a little easier, BMC F1 Replacement Air Filters is made of a washable cotton material that provides nearly 40% greater airflow than paper, enclosed in an alloy mesh screen which helps the filter keep its shape and protects against larger debris and dirt. The increased flow of air through the filter provides a steady stream of clean air to the engine, resulting in much more consistent and efficient power.

Spark Plugs.

Porsche recommends that they be replaced every 30,000 miles.

Brembo HTC Brake Fluid

To ensure optimum stopping performance, brake fluid should be replaced every two years because it can absorb moisture over time and also lowers the boiling temperature, reduce braking effectiveness.

BENEFITS:
  • Brembo HTC 64T can handle high temperatures without loss of pedal feel (independently proven low compressibility).
  • Has been specifically formulated to provide the highest performance and consistency under all racing conditions.
  • Has an extremely high dry boiling point
  • The higher viscosity of this fluid delivers a “stiffer” pedal and provides stable performance under extreme temperatures (critical in professional motorsports)
  • Boiling Point Dry: 335 C / 635 F

As a dealership alternative, BBi performs all minor and major factory scheduled maintenance services for all Porsche models, conveniently serving Orange, Los Angeles, and Riverside Counties. All maintenance services are performed in accordance to factory guidelines as we work very closely with Pacific Porsche, Porsche Downtown Los Angeles, and Circle Porsche dealerships for up-to-date factory technical support and genuine parts.

To get a quote or schedule an appointment, please email us at Sales@BBiAutosport.com or Jerry@BBiAutosport.com.

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Last edited by BBiAutosport; 07-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

looks good but why didn't you replace the coil packs at the same time?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:35 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Great question Dan. We usually always recommend it but the client doesn't always go through.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:34 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
How often should that be done? I did mine with the spark plugs when I purchased the car but am curious if people continually change them or only if they have problems (once they have the newer spec).
Old 08-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What type of spark plugs does the factory recommend?
Old 08-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
How often should that be done? I did mine with the spark plugs when I purchased the car but am curious if people continually change them or only if they have problems (once they have the newer spec).
My car had the original coils when I bought it in late 2014 (44K miles). A tune exposed a weak and/or failing coil at 46K miles so I ended up doing the 30K service all over again--plugs, new coil packs, fuel filter. The missfire went away immediately after the plug/coil replacement.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to leave original coils in a 12-15 year old car...

Not sure if I'll replace the coils when I do the next spark plug change since the coils are fresh, but I still may swap them out while we're in there...
Old 08-24-2017, 03:08 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you have a tuned 996 turbo and you don't also swap coils ( at least ) every other plug change? you're daft and/or cheap. its an add'l 200 bucks on parts on your annual ( semi annual? ) tune up of a nearly 600 hp car. lol.

( add: not you, road king ) ..sorry, just a general observation/comment ).
Old 08-24-2017, 03:16 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Berra
What type of spark plugs does the factory recommend?
i can tell ya this much.. they first installed "5"s, and "6"s are better
Old 08-24-2017, 03:30 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
these motors, particularly if tuned, have excessively higher demands on them than the oem stuff is often capable of adequately supplying for as long as "the book" suggests. plugs and coils are regularly among those items. how you run the car, and at what "add on" level e.g. how tuned it is, or is not? will dictate the greater frequency with which you'll see the benefits of plug and coil swaps. or as i am fond of saying. "plugs and points" ha seriously though.. plugs and coils are 250+ for all 12! lol. think of the benefits.

is your car seal gray btw? if so? we may have met. either way, swap coils 'n plugs same time, next time!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
you have a tuned 996 turbo and you don't also swap coils ( at least ) every other plug change? you're daft and/or cheap. its an add'l 200 bucks on parts on your annual ( semi annual? ) tune up of a nearly 600 hp car. lol.

( add: not you, road king ) ..sorry, just a general observation/comment ).
I agree...if the consensus is new coils with every plug change, then that's the way to go, they're not expensive. I'm planning on plugs every 15K miles, as I'm highly tuned and running on 100 octane exclusively.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:01 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

im going to need some kind of empirical evidence of needing to change the coils every 15 or 30 thousand miles. Plugs make sense sure, but coils though should not wear out that quickly I would think.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:19 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Coils are typically fine, unless they are cracked. The high voltage will leak to ground through the cracks in the coil enclosure.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not an oiled air filter fan! If over oiled the MAF goes south!

If you havent changed coils and are the originals it's a good idea, since the newer ones are manufactured with a different composite material to ward off cracking.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Our coils are notorious for micro-cracking + coils are a lot of work to get to in our cars + car runs intermittently like crap with cracked coils = change the coils when you are changing plugs to save yourself the headache.

If you don't mind debugging misfires and pulling the wheels, fender liner, tail lights, bumper, intercooler, and heat shields to re-check the coils in between plug changes, and you don't want to waste $200 on something that has not failed yet, inspect them and leave them be if they look ok.

Your basically betting on the odds that the coils will last another 15K miles and potentially saving $200 vs. the above extra work if they do fail before the next plug change... Significantly worse odds if you plan on replacing plugs every 30K as recommended by Porsche instead of 10-15K as recommended by tuners and others.

Last edited by pfbz; 08-24-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
im going to need some kind of empirical evidence of needing to change the coils every 15 or 30 thousand miles. Plugs make sense sure, but coils though should not wear out that quickly I would think.
I am with you. There is no need to do coils with every plug change. If it isn't broken, do not fix/replace it. Cracks can be easily spotted. No cracks, no replace.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 Turbo 60,000 Mile Service & BMC Filter Upgrade at BBi Autosport