Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is too much $$ for a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:07 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

That's just stating basic economics, though. It doesn't really explain what's happened to the Porsche market (especially the air-cooled 911 market).

For a lot of Porsche buyers, there truly is no substitute (just like I'm sure is true for BMW buyers, Rolex buyers, etc.). But we all know emotion feeds Porsche purchases more than tech specs.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:36 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
That's just stating basic economics, though. It doesn't really explain what's happened to the Porsche market (especially the air-cooled 911 market).

For a lot of Porsche buyers, there truly is no substitute (just like I'm sure is true for BMW buyers, Rolex buyers, etc.). But we all know emotion feeds Porsche purchases more than tech specs.
In a recent survey, it was determined that 95% of Porsche vehicle buyers considered other brands prior to purchase, and that the other 5% were liars.

:-)
Old 06-24-2017, 01:10 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I just sold my m2 and kept the 996tts. M2 was a super fun daily.. but it just lacked a bit of soul. Besides that... I paid 54.5k (sticker) for the M2 15 months ago... and enjoyed it for 6200 trouble free miles... and the dealer gave me 50k back (and I get to use the tax credit!). Crazy good value - not as good as 1M value.. but still damn good.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:14 AM
rawbar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a new buyer coming from an E46 M3 vert (and an NSX prior) my thought process is this....

I don't buy new, I want someone else to take the depreciation hit. The competition to the 996TT I looked at was primarily an E64 M6 vert or a 2010 Panamera Turbo. At first I was really all about the M6 but the more I read about all the problems with that car, and the gas mileage for what was going to be a DD, I got turned off. I went back and forth about keeping the M3 or which of the two Porsches I wanted. On one hand, the kids would love the Panamera, on the other, I'm the only person in the car 95% of the time and I can count on one hand the number of times I have 4 people in my car each year.

Then I saw a 996TTS vert that blew me away and knew that was the one. And now I don't want to DD it, so I still need a DD as I sold the M3

So at least for me, I would NEVER EVER cross shop a new car with a used. I'm not taking that depreciation hit. I think the only other performance bang for the buck equivalent out there is a C6 Z06, but I needed to be able to move at least 3 people.... and frankly I have no interest in owning a Chevy. Others I knew recommended taking a look at a Mustang GT500, but again, yuck.

I'm planning on keeping the TTS for the indefinite future.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Q's911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my 2002 TT as a DD and absolutely love it! I even have a 3 year old daughter that loves daddy's car the best

Quick Reply: What is too much $$ for a 996TT?