Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a fair price for this Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:17 AM
gandalfthegray.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default What's a fair price for this Turbo?

Hello, thinking of getting back in a Porsche. I tend to keep a car for about two years. Will this be hard to sell due to the tiptronic? I'm sure the manual cars carry a premium, just not sure how much.

What would you say is a fair price to pay?

http://www.dcmotorcars.com/web/used/...rnia/36898545/
Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
Hello, thinking of getting back in a Porsche. I tend to keep a car for about two years. Will this be hard to sell due to the tiptronic? I'm sure the manual cars carry a premium, just not sure how much.

What would you say is a fair price to pay?

http://www.dcmotorcars.com/web/used/...rnia/36898545/
Fair has nothing to do with the price.

My advice is to visit some used car pricing sites and punch in the car's numbers/condition/options and see what the trade-in/wholesale numbers are and start from there.

If the car is worth owning at all it is worth somewhere between its wholesale/trade-in price and however much someone is willing to pay and however much the seller is willing to accept.

There have been some big prices paid for some Turbo examples but until I get a new crystal balll I'm going with the traditional way of trying to come up with at least a starting point for negotiations and developing a feel for the market and what the car's market price should be.

Maybe you start out low. Probably you willl start out low. So what? Better to start out low than to just walk in and overpay. Remember: Used cars have a pretty hefty mark up. The seller has some room to move on the price and still make money. (Even if he loses money on the sale -- and he won't, ever -- not my job to police his business's bottom line.)

Be aware the car is not stock and if you are going to drive the car in CA the mod's bring into question the car's ability to pass emissions. Now but also in the future.

You must give the car a thorough used car (used 996 Turbo) check out.

Part of this involves a 15 mile test ride and then a 15 test drive to verify the engine/car are sound.

With a Tip have the seller do a k-turn with the Tip cold and then you do one with the Tip up to temp. You want to make sure the Tip can handle repaid changes in directioni with no signs of any problems.

Afterwards a PPI or at least get the car in the air and check from underneath for any leak sign or signs of anything else amiss. (Bent/damaged suspension/running gear, missing/damaged panels, etc.)

Remember: Price is not fact only an opinion. And if you find something wrong with the car, a deal killer, walk away. There is always another car.

Best of luck.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:06 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd say $40,000 tops. A very similar one sold here in KC about 2 months ago by an independent dealer. I did a Rennfax (sort of - the dealer wouldn't let me even start it since I was upfront and told him I was looking at it for someone else) on it for a Rennlister in Florida. The dealer had it listed for $39,950, but when I was looking at it, he told me that he'd take $32k to move it right away.

The car was silver over black, tiptronic with quality (not crazy) engine mods and some other nice, not-ricer mods (wheels, etc.). It had, I think, 66,000 miles. Only flaw was a small door ding in the right rear fender that would have been a $200 PDR fix (not sure why the dealer just didn't fix that). I will say that this dealer really disliked selling Porsches, although he had a lot of high-end European cars on his lot. He said that with Porsche buyers, you have to talk to about 50 of them to sell one car, and they all want to spend an hour talking his ear off. Personally, I thought that car was worth every bit of $36,000, even with the tiptronic.

A question for your California types: If a licensed California motor vehicle dealer is offering a car for sale, does the dealer have to ensure that it passes a smog test when he sells it to you? Macster's comment is interesting, but then when I opened up the link to the ad, the first thing listed in the ad under specs is about the car being LEV Certified.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

In the USA a car with a six speed is worth about 5% more than a Tiptronic.

If you are planning on selling the car in two years I would go with a manual transmission.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

40-44k
people who want a tip will pay for a tip.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

$45k
Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low 40s out the door. IMO that car will be more difficult to sell because of how it looks, not because of the tip.

Check the Craigslist thread here, much better options out there for that coin.

Only a 5% premium for a manual? My impression from looking around was that it was closer to 10%.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
A question for your California types: If a licensed California motor vehicle dealer is offering a car for sale, does the dealer have to ensure that it passes a smog test when he sells it to you? Macster's comment is interesting, but then when I opened up the link to the ad, the first thing listed in the ad under specs is about the car being LEV Certified.
Yes, absolutely, in CA the seller is on the hook for smog, car needs to have a smog certificate that's less than 90 days old. When I bought my car in San Diego back in December 2014, the seller (the owner of 7 years) had the smog cert done and included the doc with the sale. Would be the same for a dealer I'm sure.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...vr_info#BM2520
Old 05-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
Low 40s out the door. IMO that car will be more difficult to sell because of how it looks, not because of the tip....

...Only a 5% premium for a manual? My impression from looking around was that it was closer to 10%.
I agree "the look" of the car is not optimum.

The Hagerty price guide says 5% and that is about what I have seen. But I could see differences closer to 10% in certain markets.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:26 PM
gandalfthegray.
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

Can you guys add to the comment "the look is not optimum"? I don't care much for the tinted lights but I'm sure that's just a film that can be removed. The wheels can be changed. What are you guys not liking in particular?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:11 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The lights, as you mention, are godawful -- the headlights, front side markers, and taillights. The front bumper, rear wing, and 997TT intercooler inlets are also not stock. It looks like undersides of the side skirts and rear bumper, which are normally unpainted black plastic, have been painted body color. That's stock for a factory aero kit car, which this one is surely not. It's a little hard to tell the quality of the paint from the pics, but it's a little too reminiscent of a Maaco job. Overall, that's more than enough paintwork and exterior changes to raise concern that there might be some undesirable history and corners cut.

On the interior, the red gauges and painted interior bits look suspect. I'd want to see the original sticker to see if any of that stuff is actually OEM, but based on the look of the rest of the car, my money is that it's not.

The aftermarket amp + Cobb installation in the frunk doesn't look good, IMO, and just indicates that all of that has been messed with. Yet again, more aftermarket work that has not been done to the highest degree or very good attention to detail.

If all of those items tickle your fancy, then I wouldn't necessarily consider them dealbreakers, but overall, it gives the impression of a car that has been fairly heavily modified, with somewhat questionable taste, and some corners cut (e.g., if money was no object, a proper GT2 rear decklid would be a much better choice than the permanently-up stock rams + big wing). Not a good value proposition for most buyers.

The Tiptronic is not the reason I'd walk away from this one.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Porsche

2002 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe

Division:

PCNA

Commission #:

Prod Month:

10/2001

VIN:

WP0AB29952S685390

Price:

$124,180.00

Exterior:

Guards Red

Interior:

Black Full Leather

Warranty Start:

October 30, 2001

Additional Equipment

Lumbar Support-Left Seat

Supple Leather Front and Rear

AH

Black Full Leather

G1

Guards Red Top

M6A

Black Mats - Porsche lettering

X70

Metal Door Sill Model Insignia

X71

Aluminum Instrument Dials

XME

Rear Ctr Cons Painted Extr Clr

XPA

3-Spoke Str Whl-Interior Lthr

XSC

Porsche Crest in Headrest

Z84

Stitch F/R Seats - Dev. Color

Z88

Door & Dash Stitch - Dev Color
Old 05-11-2017, 05:31 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Good call.

So the painted center console was original, but the gauges (which were originally the desirable X71 aluminum option), "horse shoe", and door sills (BLECH!!!!!!!) are definitely not.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manimal
The lights, as you mention, are godawful -- the headlights, front side markers, and taillights. The front bumper, rear wing, and 997TT intercooler inlets are also not stock. It looks like undersides of the side skirts and rear bumper, which are normally unpainted black plastic, have been painted body color. That's stock for a factory aero kit car, which this one is surely not. It's a little hard to tell the quality of the paint from the pics, but it's a little too reminiscent of a Maaco job. Overall, that's more than enough paintwork and exterior changes to raise concern that there might be some undesirable history and corners cut.

On the interior, the red gauges and painted interior bits look suspect. I'd want to see the original sticker to see if any of that stuff is actually OEM, but based on the look of the rest of the car, my money is that it's not.

The aftermarket amp + Cobb installation in the frunk doesn't look good, IMO, and just indicates that all of that has been messed with. Yet again, more aftermarket work that has not been done to the highest degree or very good attention to detail.

If all of those items tickle your fancy, then I wouldn't necessarily consider them dealbreakers, but overall, it gives the impression of a car that has been fairly heavily modified, with somewhat questionable taste, and some corners cut (e.g., if money was no object, a proper GT2 rear decklid would be a much better choice than the permanently-up stock rams + big wing). Not a good value proposition for most buyers.

The Tiptronic is not the reason I'd walk away from this one.
I agree.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 PM
gandalfthegray.
Rennlist Member

Is the front bumper from a GT2? Is there a rubber lip or something that's missing?

Also, if the wing is up in and the car is shut off does that indicate it's broken?

Quick Reply: What's a fair price for this Turbo?