Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo idle problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:31 AM
oasis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Turbo idle problem please help!

I have a 01 996 turbo on which I just finished changing the clutch. Upon starting the car after everything was complete the car idles at 2000+ RPM. I checked all the turbo piping for leaks, used a scope to look at all the lines and everything looks good. What I did notice is that if I pull off one of the pipes going into the y-pipe to the throttle body the car starts to idle "normal", if i slowly sneak the pipe back on the car continues to idle "normal" but if i touch the throttle it goes straight back up to 2000+ RPM, if I shut the car off running at the normal idle and restart it goes back to 2000+ RPM. I was worried I pinched a line or pulled something off by accident but can't find anything. Also intermittently when its idling at 2000+ RPM the PSM and ABS lights come on.

Could it be the MAF? I did have the air box out in a dusty shop, could that have caused an issue with the MAF?

TPS? or the check valve behind the throttle body?

Any help, thoughts, comments, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Mike

Last edited by oasis; 05-11-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Did you remove the engine when you changed the clutch or just the transmission?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same issues. Replaced MAF. when AC/Fan on Idle would go down.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try running it with maf disconnected..if it improves that could be your issue.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by oasis
I have a 01 996 turbo on which I just finished changing the clutch. Upon starting the car after everything was complete the car idles at 2000+ RPM. I checked all the turbo piping for leaks, used a scope to look at all the lines and everything looks good. What I did notice is that if I pull off one of the pipes going into the y-pipe to the throttle body the car starts to idle "normal", if i slowly sneak the pipe back on the car continues to idle "normal" but if i touch the throttle it goes straight back up to 2000+ RPM, if I shut the car off running at the normal idle and restart it goes back to 2000+ RPM. I was worried I pinched a line or pulled something off by accident but can't find anything. Also intermittently when its idling at 2000+ RPM the PSM and ABS lights come on.

Could it be the MAF? I did have the air box out in a dusty shop, could that have caused an issue with the MAF?

TPS? or the check valve behind the throttle body?

Any help, thoughts, comments, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Mike
Before you do anytihng else do an E-gas calibration.

The procedure: With the off and your foot off the gas pedal during the procedure turn the key to the on position. Leave on for at least 60 seconds. Turn the key off and leave off for at least 10 seconds. The next time the engine is started the calibration is complete.

If the above doesn't help then sure it could be the MAF. Never had any reason to do this with my Turbo but with my Boxster a "trick" is to disconnect the MAF from the engine wiring harness, using an OBD2 code reader *clear* the error codes, even if there are none to reset all the learned adaptations to their defaults, then road test the car to see if the symtpoms the MAF is suspected of causing are still present.

After you have noted the behavior with the MAF disconnected reconnect it and again clear the error codes and road test the car.

Migiht want to check the hose to the fuel pressure regulator is securely connected at both ends and the hose is ok has no cracks.

Also, if you have the tool monitor intake air temperature and coolant temperature while the behavior is ongoing. You are looking for a temperature reading that differs considerably from ambient. After the car has sat overnight the intake air temperature and coolant temperature and ambient temperature should be about the same.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:35 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Reset throttle adaption. I bet you have a throttle code in there.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 PM
oasis
Track Day

No, the engine stayed in the car. I did however lower the motor about an inch or two, thought i might have pinched or pulled some hose off.

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Did you remove the engine when you changed the clutch or just the transmission?
Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM
oasis
Track Day

Turned on the A/C and no change in the idle.

Originally Posted by Chris996
I had same issues. Replaced MAF. when AC/Fan on Idle would go down.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:10 PM
oasis
Track Day

I'll try that tonight and see what happens, thanks!

Originally Posted by gophaster
Try running it with maf disconnected..if it improves that could be your issue.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:12 PM
oasis
Track Day

Thanks for the info, I'll try the reset and see if something changes…… fingers crossed

Originally Posted by Macster
Before you do anytihng else do an E-gas calibration.

The procedure: With the off and your foot off the gas pedal during the procedure turn the key to the on position. Leave on for at least 60 seconds. Turn the key off and leave off for at least 10 seconds. The next time the engine is started the calibration is complete.

If the above doesn't help then sure it could be the MAF. Never had any reason to do this with my Turbo but with my Boxster a "trick" is to disconnect the MAF from the engine wiring harness, using an OBD2 code reader *clear* the error codes, even if there are none to reset all the learned adaptations to their defaults, then road test the car to see if the symtpoms the MAF is suspected of causing are still present.

After you have noted the behavior with the MAF disconnected reconnect it and again clear the error codes and road test the car.

Migiht want to check the hose to the fuel pressure regulator is securely connected at both ends and the hose is ok has no cracks.

Also, if you have the tool monitor intake air temperature and coolant temperature while the behavior is ongoing. You are looking for a temperature reading that differs considerably from ambient. After the car has sat overnight the intake air temperature and coolant temperature and ambient temperature should be about the same.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:14 PM
oasis
Track Day

looks like a friend of mine is going to bring by his durametric so we'll hook it up and see if there are any codes stored, thanks man!

Originally Posted by 996tt6156R
Reset throttle adaption. I bet you have a throttle code in there.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Mike you wrote>>

"checked all the turbo piping for leaks"

Did you do that with 14 - 16 PSI of air pressure? Pump the entire intake system to check for a possible leak.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ good advice as always..pressure testing is a lot more comprehensive than pulling on the y-pipe lol

but this timely thread reminded me that while chasing down an intermittent cel and accompanying "idle hunting" issue, i had yet to unplug my maf OR even reset the TB and lo and behold car after doing both, the car idled perfectly w maf unplugged and then back to "hunting" up/down to 1000rpm after driving awhile and resetting the tb ( again ) and re-inserting the maf.

my buddy swore it was the electrical components of the tb gone bad, i didn't ( don't ) believe him and so i am going to throw a new maf at it

still i bet thats "it" and since i cant test the volts of my TB OR my maf! I'm gonna throw a 250$ part at the car and hope i luck out. hah.

i'd freak though if my idle crept to 2k and stayed there even w a/c ON like the OP! good luck w it!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:29 AM
oasis
Track Day

Did a smoke test on the car today with no visible leaks, could it be a pinched hose or maybe a fuel pressure regulator issue? check valves? Im running out of ideas.

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by Kevin
Mike you wrote>>

"checked all the turbo piping for leaks"

Did you do that with 14 - 16 PSI of air pressure? Pump the entire intake system to check for a possible leak.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:48 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Check the Bank 1 intake manifold for a leak. Have seen them crack if the engine is lowered too much during a transmission removal. They crack near the stud that holds the aluminum air inlet pipe

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo idle problem please help!