Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:04 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I will certainly try the fix service in ebay if the shipping cost is more friendly and/or i can take it down myself easily😔
Old 05-11-2017, 12:33 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ the ebay offering may just be the $150.00 box of a couple of bolts to "fix" the wing in a stationary "up" position. thats not really a "fix" unless you want it fixed "UP!" and stationary. i bought it and i don't know what i was thinking ha
Old 05-11-2017, 12:49 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I just wonder why the factory used hydraulics on our wings in the first place. My 1990 964 had an electric motor for the rear spoiler. Seems like they went backwards technology-wise using hydraulics on the 996tt. I believe the current models all use electric actuators, no?

Kevin - Good for you in taking on this project, especially in light of Dave's Rennkit eRams. I'll never need your new fix as I've already converted to the eRams and I suspect they'll last forever. But, I suppose for someone who is a slave to keeping things stock, this fix to the hydraulic system might be preferable.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

KC, over the years I have developed repair kits. From K24 1 bar wastegate kits to 993TT check valve kits. This solution will fit the repair "issue" It was Porsche Indy's that kept knocking at the door. When I get the pump components ready to sell, the hydraulic system will be serviceable for decades down the road.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 AM
ASLAN
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kevin, any update so far?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:16 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wing functioning is a doodad for anyone using the car on public roads. Now I grant that some may track their vehicles and/or drive them on public roads regularly at speeds well in excess of 100 mph; it is a free country and to all of you fitting this description, I give you my best!

I have seen videos of the wing going up and down and it is very cool, almost hypnotizing. And if you want that, than do whatever you need to do to have it.

The guy who sold me my 996 Turbo a couple of weeks ago decided to just buy a nicer aftermarket wing (the Precision GT2) and to fix it in a lowish position. I like the look of the car and I don't miss the up and down "functionality."

These cars are at the point age and mileage wise where having fewer things to worry about breaking is a plus, not a minus.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:53 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Except Porsche states in the manual that the car shouldn't be driven at excessive speeds without the wing up. There is also information stating with the wing down, it aids cooling at lower speed.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:36 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Except Porsche states in the manual that the car shouldn't be driven at excessive speeds without the wing up. There is also information stating with the wing down, it aids cooling at lower speed.
define "excessive speed."
Old 05-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The owners manual says not to drive the car over 75mph without the rear wing deployed. There is a safety risk.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:34 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
The wing functioning is a doodad for anyone using the car on public roads. Now I grant that some may track their vehicles and/or drive them on public roads regularly at speeds well in excess of 100 mph; it is a free country and to all of you fitting this description, I give you my best!

I have seen videos of the wing going up and down and it is very cool, almost hypnotizing. And if you want that, than do whatever you need to do to have it.

The guy who sold me my 996 Turbo a couple of weeks ago decided to just buy a nicer aftermarket wing (the Precision GT2) and to fix it in a lowish position. I like the look of the car and I don't miss the up and down "functionality."

These cars are at the point age and mileage wise where having fewer things to worry about breaking is a plus, not a minus.
Good for you, and to each his own. To me, the moving wing is one of the cool features of the car, and mark my words, in 10 years, cars with working hydraulic spoilers will be a premium.

FWIW (it sounds like maybe you don't care or don't drive the car hard), but GT2 rear aero should be matched to GT2 front aero. The extra downforce on the rear can actually cause lift on the front. Do you think Porsche was just randomly putting random spoilers at random heights when they engineered the car?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by manimal
Good for you, and to each his own. To me, the moving wing is one of the cool features of the car, and mark my words, in 10 years, cars with working hydraulic spoilers will be a premium.

FWIW (it sounds like maybe you don't care or don't drive the car hard), but GT2 rear aero should be matched to GT2 front aero. The extra downforce on the rear can actually cause lift on the front. Do you think Porsche was just randomly putting random spoilers at random heights when they engineered the car?
No, I doubt that what they did was random, but what they did was geared to what a spoiler does, which is basically nothing unless a car is going really, really, fast.

The Porsche Turbo is not the only fast car manufactured with a spoiler; other cars which tend to be driven hard, with spoilers, include the Subaru STi, which routinely was sold with the spoiler removed entirely per customer request, and now is sold that way, with and without spoiler.

Anyone thinking this is really important for a car that is not tracked and driven on public roads at speeds under, say, 105 MPH, please produce some EVIDENCE. Just saying that Porsche engineers did this or that does not cut it.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

define "excessive speed."
I'll let Porsche explain it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I don't own a GT2, I wouldn't put a GT2 wing on my car...although I did debate putting an Si badge on my wife's Pilot when we owned it.

I'm doing Rennkit when mine goes, my kids love the spoiler coming up way too much to lose the feature.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

No, I doubt that what they did was random, but what they did was geared to what a spoiler does, which is basically nothing unless a car is going really, really, fast....
Sorry to do this again, but this statements is completely untrue. The rear wing does a lot even at 75 MPH. There is fellow here who did CFD design work for automotive video games. He knows all about it. Maybe he will chime in.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:09 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Working hydraulics are a cool feature that I intend to keep now that Kevin's kit is out.

Despite having a knock-off GT2 wing available to install, I like the stock look and don't want to go through redoing the front end as the cost of OE parts has gone up significantly.

I picked up the fake because it was black too and mine has started to leak a little.
Still may install fake while I fix stock one to see if there's a noticeable difference at the track.

Not sure how much the "imbalance" with a GT2 rear and stock front end would impact driving dynamics but I believe there was a thread here a while back that got pretty granular.

With max cornering speed of 90-100 at my local track in 3 corners where rear grip is more of a concern, I'll guess that I stay on the pavement.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit