Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Oil Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

This thread is getting long in the tooth, already. Use OEM and be done with it!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Motul has been great for the last 18 months in my car
Old 04-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Why do people keep trying to reinvent the wheel??? For stock gearboxes use the OEM fill for street use. If you have an LSD of track your car, use what Porsche uses in all their race cars and what just about every reputable gearbox builder uses, Delvac...
Great question, and great answers regarding what oil to use.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Here are the data sheets for the 2 Mobil Gear oils and Shell's offering that meet Porsche's performance standard as well Mobil One's standard OTC GL-5 offering;

Mobilube PTX 75w90 - OE fill, works great with LSD, especially good in colder weather, smoothest shifts with OE synchronizers. $39USD/liter

Mobilube Delvac SHC 75w90 Porsche Motorsports factory fill -
owners with daily driver Porsches tend to try once and then go back to something else. Plus absolutely horrible in cold weather. $42USD/gal

Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75w90 - Also OE fill

Mobilube LS 75w90 - OTC at most retailers, cheapest, designed for LSD, shifting is not as smooth as PTX/SHC. $13USD/qt
Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM
jungt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than limited slip differentials, what are the negatives of using the standard weight 75W90 GL5 oil in either of the locations? Will I slowly destroy my transaxle by using Fuchs Titan Syntopoid or any other gear oil, or is it just a harder shifting problem?

John
Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

(I'm reposting this from a post I made at 6speed a couple months ago. I tend to agree with those that prefer to use oem for this particular application)

I know many are having excellent results with various gear oils like Delvac, Red Line, etc..so I'm not trying to change anyones mind Just going to share the info I found. I have heard it mentioned a few times from folks running gear oils other than the Porsche approved ones that they have to be a little careful shifting when cold and then once warmed up all is great.

I spent some hours doing research on this recently since I'm getting ready to do my trans & diff fluids. There are only 2 "approved" gear oils by Porsche and they are:

1) Mobilube PTX
2) Shell Spirax S5 ATE (formerly known as Shell Transaxle)

As far as I know these are the only 2. There is no approved list with a bunch of different options, just these two.

I am not a lubricant engineer!!! just looking at the numbers to see if there are any consistent differences between the two approved Porsche fluids and all the others.

If you take a look below you will see that the approved fluids (Mobilube PTX and Spirax S5 ATE) both have almost identical numbers BUT the other 3 as well as just about all the other 75/90's out there have HIGHER Kinematic Viscosity (cSt) numbers AND LOWER Viscosity Index numbers. Could these differences be why some folks running the non-approved gear oils have to be a little more careful when cold? Good question!!!

The only gear oil I found specs on that seems to have really close properties to the Approved Mobilube & Shell Spirax is the Liqui-Moly 2048...

Mobil MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90 (Porsche approved)
Viscosity
cSt @ 40º C 77.6
cSt @ 100ºC 14.5
Viscosity Index 195

Flash Point, ºC 226
Pour Point, ºC -60
Density kg/m3 849

Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90 (Porsche approved)
SAE J 306 75W-90 SAE Viscosity Grade
cSt @40 81
cSt @100 14.9
Viscosity Index 194
ISO 9262 35000 Dynamic Viscosity mPa s
0 3 ISO 12185 879 Density @15 C kg/m
0 ISO 2592 205 Flash Point (COC) C

Mobil Delvac 1 Gear Oil 75W-90
SAE Grade 75W-90
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 120
cSt @ 100ºC 15.9
Viscosity Index 140
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -48
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 205
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.86

Redline 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 94.5
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 15.6
Viscosity Index 176
Pour Point, °C -45
Pour Point, °F -49
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, Poise 400 @-40°C

**Liqui Moly 2048 ** (Very similar numbers to Porsche Approved)
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 80.9
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 14.3
Viscosity Index 184

Flash Point, °C 190
Pour Point, °C -60
Density kg/m3 855
Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

This is one of those examples of what I call internet telephone. Someone read something somewhere and only half understood it and reposted it incomplete. I will try to clear this up for all readers.

1. We do NOT call a gear driven differential a limited slip differential. Why? Because at the limit, like when you lift a wheel or put one in the dirt and have near zero traction, they go open. There is no limit to their slip control. We call them a torque biasing differential (TBD). Quaife calls theirs a Torsen because they bought the rights to the name. Torsen is a brand, like Quiafe is a brand. There are a bunch of different ways to design and set up a TBD. The Torsen way is one of many. Wavetrac makes TBDs too, though theirs has a gimmick, which they claim offers lock up under braking.

It's all mechanical across the gears. No clutches. Zero need for friction modifiers. Run whatever GL5 oil you want in a TBD, regardless of brand.

2. LSD. In Porsche world an LSD is almost always a Salisbury plate design. Let's ignore Detroit Lockers. They don't matter to us. The orginal OEM was ZF and people often call all Porsche LSDs ZFs, even though since 1996 GKN has been their OEM. Most LSDs you find on the market today chatter. This is doubly true with OEM LSDs because they are made out of hard grippy materials, the clutches that is. Friction modifiers in a gear oil make those clutches slide more smoothly against each other and run more quietly.

The problem with a Porsche is that it is a transaxle. What this means is the rear end (differential) and gear stack share the same oil bath. This poses some problems because the transmission gears have synchros and synchros do actually require a certain amount of friction to function. Too slippery and the synchros don't grab right on the shift. This is part of why I am not a big fan of LSD modifiers in the oil.

The other piece is proprietary. Our LSD clutches are not like what you find in most anything else. It is a proprietary ferrous alloy that is plasma sprayed onto the clutches. These are motorsports parts. While they are quite durable, what they were designed around was performance. When you introduce a friction modifier to one of our LSDs you are reducing the effective lock up. Ironically, because you are making them slip and slide more and bite less, in our experience they wear more quickly. There is no evidence that I know of to cross over our company position regarding additives to any competing brand on the market. Try running a Gikken LSD without additives. You'll hate the damn thing. Some LSDs do require additives to function well.

Our own product is the root of my beef not just with LSD additives, but with Redline NS. You hear people rave about the cold shift performance of Redline. It's because it is one of the most slippery oils out there. Take it on the track for an hour at 90 degrees ambient. The shift quality goes off the cliff when it gets hot. Our LSDs show terrible wear qualities with their oils, like half of normal. Do not ever use Redline with a Guard LSD in your car, please.

If you don't track your car, The hot shifing thing I talk about, it's a non-issue. This is a track specific beef and to be perfectly honest I have Redline NS in my street Subaru right now. So for most of you, even my personal bias against Redline wouldn't apply. I heard rumour that they were working on a new Porsche specific formulation when they were racing the Caymans with Bimmerworld/Next Level in IMSA. I would be interested to check out that oil if it ever comes to market.

Beyond that, use what shifts well for you. Change your oil every 10-15k. The factory service interval is insanely long. I don't let any of my cars ever go over 3 years on the same oil. It's oil. It's cheap compared to a $5-6k rebuild. Swepco is good. Delvac and PTX are good. Motul is good. Shell Spirax is good. Redline is good too, my bias not withstanding. Like John said, don't over think it or reinvent the wheel. Good oil is good oil these days.
The following users liked this post:
996TS (10-14-2022)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:12 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Excellent post Matt ^^. Btw, neither your GT3 club LSD or the GT2 PRO I have in the car now have ever chattered. 100% seamless operation. I have always used Delvac and change it every 6-8 track days. Thanks for making an amazing product and the continued customer support.

Last edited by powdrhound; 05-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:18 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
This is one of those examples of what I call internet telephone. Someone read something somewhere and only half understood it and reposted it incomplete. I will try to clear this up for all readers.

1. We do NOT call a gear driven differential a limited slip differential. Why? Because at the limit, like when you lift a wheel or put one in the dirt and have near zero traction, they go open. There is no limit to their slip control. We call them a torque biasing differential (TBD). Quaife calls theirs a Torsen because they bought the rights to the name. Torsen is a brand, like Quiafe is a brand. There are a bunch of different ways to design and set up a TBD. The Torsen way is one of many. Wavetrac makes TBDs too, though theirs has a gimmick, which they claim offers lock up under braking.

It's all mechanical across the gears. No clutches. Zero need for friction modifiers. Run whatever GL5 oil you want in a TBD, regardless of brand.

2. LSD. In Porsche world an LSD is almost always a Salisbury plate design. Let's ignore Detroit Lockers. They don't matter to us. The orginal OEM was ZF and people often call all Porsche LSDs ZFs, even though since 1996 GKN has been their OEM. Most LSDs you find on the market today chatter. This is doubly true with OEM LSDs because they are made out of hard grippy materials, the clutches that is. Friction modifiers in a gear oil make those clutches slide more smoothly against each other and run more quietly.

The problem with a Porsche is that it is a transaxle. What this means is the rear end (differential) and gear stack share the same oil bath. This poses some problems because the transmission gears have synchros and synchros do actually require a certain amount of friction to function. Too slippery and the synchros don't grab right on the shift. This is part of why I am not a big fan of LSD modifiers in the oil.

The other piece is proprietary. Our LSD clutches are not like what you find in most anything else. It is a proprietary ferrous alloy that is plasma sprayed onto the clutches. These are motorsports parts. While they are quite durable, what they were designed around was performance. When you introduce a friction modifier to one of our LSDs you are reducing the effective lock up. Ironically, because you are making them slip and slide more and bite less, in our experience they wear more quickly. There is no evidence that I know of to cross over our company position regarding additives to any competing brand on the market. Try running a Gikken LSD without additives. You'll hate the damn thing. Some LSDs do require additives to function well.

Our own product is the root of my beef not just with LSD additives, but with Redline NS. You hear people rave about the cold shift performance of Redline. It's because it is one of the most slippery oils out there. Take it on the track for an hour at 90 degrees ambient. The shift quality goes off the cliff when it gets hot. Our LSDs show terrible wear qualities with their oils, like half of normal. Do not ever use Redline with a Guard LSD in your car, please.

If you don't track your car, The hot shifing thing I talk about, it's a non-issue. This is a track specific beef and to be perfectly honest I have Redline NS in my street Subaru right now. So for most of you, even my personal bias against Redline wouldn't apply. I heard rumour that they were working on a new Porsche specific formulation when they were racing the Caymans with Bimmerworld/Next Level in IMSA. I would be interested to check out that oil if it ever comes to market.

Beyond that, use what shifts well for you. Change your oil every 10-15k. The factory service interval is insanely long. I don't let any of my cars ever go over 3 years on the same oil. It's oil. It's cheap compared to a $5-6k rebuild. Swepco is good. Delvac and PTX are good. Motul is good. Shell Spirax is good. Redline is good too, my bias not withstanding. Like John said, don't over think it or reinvent the wheel. Good oil is good oil these days.
Good info. I cover all the bases; OEM in the turbo, Swepco 201 in my SC, and Redline in my 993.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Excellent post Matt ^^. Btw, neither the GT3 club LSD or the GT2 PRO I have in the car now have ever chattered. 100% seamless operation. I have always used Delvac and change it every 6-8 track days. Thanks for making an amazing product and the continued customer support.
Thanks for that John. In my post I totally glazed over that piece about how, among other things, our clutches are smooth in operation and don't chatter.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Here are the data sheets for the 2 Mobil Gear oils and Shell's offering that meet Porsche's performance standard as well Mobil One's standard OTC GL-5 offering;

Mobilube PTX 75w90 - OE fill, works great with LSD, especially good in colder weather, smoothest shifts with OE synchronizers. $39USD/liter

Mobilube Delvac SHC 75w90 Porsche Motorsports factory fill -
owners with daily driver Porsches tend to try once and then go back to something else. Plus absolutely horrible in cold weather. $42USD/gal

Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75w90 - Also OE fill

Mobilube LS 75w90 - OTC at most retailers, cheapest, designed for LSD, shifting is not as smooth as PTX/SHC. $13USD/qt
According to Suncoast site the PTX is $39 per ltr, multply that by 4.
Delvac is per gallon
Big difference.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
According to Suncoast site the PTX is $39 per ltr, multply that by 4.
Delvac is per gallon
Big difference.
I included the UOMs in my post! It is definitely more expensive but on a daily driver that realistically might see a gearbox fluid change every few years, the difference ($120USD) in price is nothing. The improvement in shifting is worth it! I suppose a lot of it depends on the condition of your synchros and the ambient air temp you find yourself driving around in. Quite a few of us tried SHC back in 2006 when it was the current flavor of the month and most if not all have since made the switch to something else.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use delvac and it works great!
Old 04-30-2021, 10:35 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears

Reviving a very old thread..
Hi Matt,
I purchased a 996.2 c2 manual car in Jan this year with your LSD in it, recently my gear box crunched at high speeds going from 3rd into 4th gear at the race track

The next day my indy shop changed out the oil to the Liqui Moly and then I saw this post, is this oil ok with your LSD?
There was quite a bit of silvery coloured oil that came out.

I probably track once a year with very frequent hard driving through the the mountains.

Cheers from downunder.
Jim

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Oil Thoughts