Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm considering trading my 996tt manual for the same in auto... nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:38 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I'm considering trading my 996tt manual for the same in auto... nuts?

Man my left knee is getting ready to need another surgery (the next one will make #5) and I don't think I can do the stick shift thing anymore. I'm throwing around the idea of finding somebody who bought an auto 996tt and really wants a stick. One of my issues is that my car has had a lot of work done to it... suspension, wheels, full EVOMS GT700 kit, etc, etc... so it will be find an auto that is somewhat comparable... I'd hate to go to a stock car and have to buy all that stuff again.
I'm probably best off just selling it and waiting for the right auto to come around... but a trade is so much easier.

Well all my internet strangers I'm looking to for advice... what do you say?

Try to find a trade, or sell and wait for the right car... or just keep it until I can't physically do it anymore?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:15 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

my dad has a Tip 996tt (wanted a 6spd but the RIGHT deal came up), a different experience but definitely still a fun car...just punch the throttle and go.
Can always transfer the parts over
Old 04-14-2017, 06:40 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
Man my left knee is getting ready to need another surgery (the next one will make #5) and I don't think I can do the stick shift thing anymore. I'm throwing around the idea of finding somebody who bought an auto 996tt and really wants a stick. One of my issues is that my car has had a lot of work done to it... suspension, wheels, full EVOMS GT700 kit, etc, etc... so it will be find an auto that is somewhat comparable... I'd hate to go to a stock car and have to buy all that stuff again.
I'm probably best off just selling it and waiting for the right auto to come around... but a trade is so much easier.

Well all my internet strangers I'm looking to for advice... what do you say?

Try to find a trade, or sell and wait for the right car... or just keep it until I can't physically do it anymore?
Keep it, if you think you will be able to handle a clutch long term. If not, there are plenty of nice tips out there at reasonable prices.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

I love my Tip. Install a paddle shift steering wheel and enjoy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252803270065

Also I have read a few reviews in which it has been stated that the turbo charged 991.2 Carrera S in "track" mode feels a lot like a 996TT so maybe one of those with PDK could be another option for you?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
my dad has a Tip 996tt (wanted a 6spd but the RIGHT deal came up), a different experience but definitely still a fun car...just punch the throttle and go.
Can always transfer the parts over
Like Rob said. Buy the tip, switch the mods and then sell the 6speed as stock.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Keep it...but get that knee replaced - I did a full knee replacement on my left knee on July 18 and was driving my MT 996 three weeks later. Best thing I ever did.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

crazy idea, but necessity might well be the order of the day. i just don't feel a tip car modded or otherwise will ever be on par with a modded mt car. but do what ya gotta do. me, i'd be considering a pdk car. in fact I've got the bee's knees and am still seriously considering a newer pdk car. my current and former dd's both had/have paddle shifters, so they are still "fun" to operate. not so much those awful button/levers of tips that are better suited as window openers lol

so, a tip? mmm, hem/haw .. oh never mind. they're great cars, in any config.

add: forgot about the aftermarket paddle shift wheels available! thats a + factor for sure.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Keep it...but get that knee replaced - I did a full knee replacement on my left knee on July 18 and was driving my MT 996 three weeks later. Best thing I ever did.
Man I wish I could. My surgeon told me 10 years ago I needed a replacement but I was (and still am) too young to get it. 39. Sports have not been good to me in the long term.

I think I'm going to keep it until I just can't drive physically it any more... then get a tip... or a PDK if I can afford one by then. Hard to justify the cost difference honestly though... love the 996tt.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:54 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh man, you're about 2 months too late. There was a really nice, well modded 996tt tip for sale here in KC earlier this spring. $32k would have bought it. I did a cursory Rennfax on it for a gentleman in Florida. It sold a few days later to someone else. If it were a 6 speed, it would have easily brought $40k.
There are deals out there on tips.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not nuts when it comes to health. Health and family first, everything else is secondary.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
Man I wish I could. My surgeon told me 10 years ago I needed a replacement but I was (and still am) too young to get it. 39. Sports have not been good to me in the long term.

I think I'm going to keep it until I just can't drive physically it any more... then get a tip... or a PDK if I can afford one by then. Hard to justify the cost difference honestly though... love the 996tt.
Have you looked into any stem cell therapy? Or 03 with nutrition injection to help regrow some Cartledge and Meniscus? Regenixx is one of the
Companies doing this with a lot of success and saving people from knee replacements, I've looked at both, there is a place here that's had a 90% success with knee pain that I'm going to try soon, I can let you know how it works out. I also have a couple of pro skaters that ride for my company that have had stem cell treatments with success. My surgical knee from a snowboarding injury is my right so it doesn't have to depress a clutch but it's my front leg for skating and snowboarding so it takes a beating and I want to keep doing this well into my 60's. At 39 years young you might be a good candidate for it Name:  photo504.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  829.1 KB
Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's a choice between sell and drive or keep and don't then it's obvious.

Swap the parts if you have to. Yours MT is worth more stock anyway.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan A
If it's a choice between sell and drive or keep and don't then it's obvious.

Swap the parts if you have to. Yours MT is worth more stock anyway.
+1
Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 996 is a GT2, so I don't really understand the clutch assist, but is there a way to increase mechanical advantage? I know with hyd clutches on other cars I've built you can substitute travel for "weight" much like a master cylinder. Anything like that possible? How about going to a multi disc clutch with centrifugal weights?

I don't think the switch to Tip is blasphemy as some obviously prefer it. Do what will make driving more enjoyable. Don't let stereotypes reduce the miles of smiles your turbo can bring.

Quick Reply: I'm considering trading my 996tt manual for the same in auto... nuts?