Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY weight loss: Windshield washer reservoir delete

Old 04-03-2017, 01:02 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 985 Posts
Default DIY weight loss: Windshield washer reservoir delete

I've owned my car for over 6 years now and have never used the windshield/headlight washer system. I have simply always used windex and a paper towel to clean the windshield. I had drained the fluid down to just above the minimum to keep the "low fluid" warning light out and minimize the dead weight. I finally got around to removing it today and was surprised by the amount of weight savings. For those that track their cars, this is a very simple and reversible mod. Keep in mind the windshield wiper operation remain intact. As always, anyone performing any mods to their car assumes all risk.

The fluid reservoir and filler neck weight 4 lbs, 4oz. Minimum fluid amount that keeps the light out is 5 lbs. Total fluid capacity is 14 lbs, 6oz. So when I removed the reservoir with the minimum fluid in there, I removed 9 lbs, 4oz. If you have a full tank, you are carrying 18 lbs, 10 oz. That's a substantial amount and a nice weight savings.

The removal is simple. You need to remove the driver's side front wheel and then remove the fender liner (4 screws, and 3 plastic nuts). The black plastic reservoir will be clearly visible. There is rubber hose that needs to be disconnected near the nose of the filler tank (remove the black plastic C-clip in order to disconnect the hose). There is a small rubber hose in the rear of the reservoir that simply pull off a small nipple. The tank itself is bolted by one bolt in the front and one in the rear. Once you remove these, you need to lever the tank off the mounting tabs that the tank is pressed into via rubber grommets. You can wedge a screwdriver in there and press the tank off the stubs gently pushing it toward the front of the car. Next you need to disconnect the three connectors that are connected to the two motors in the tank and the level float. Finally you need to open the frunk and pull out the filler neck. There is a small release tab that you will see and it simply pulls out. Once all he connectors are disconnected, you will need to turn your steering wheel to the right which will give you enough room to drop the tank out from behind the brake rotor. Taking your time, it will take you about an hour to get this done. You will also need to jump the two wires going to the float to keep the light out. I have not done this yet by I suspect you can simply pull the float out of the tank and press the tabs together, or as mentioned above jump the wires by putting a small metal clip into the connector.

You can see the reservoir below and the void created in the fender after it's removed. The wires hanging there are the 3 connectors that you disconnected from the tank. You can zip tie those out of the way. Simply reinstall the fender liner and you're done.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SVnZKj]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Tgzsum]
The following users liked this post:
RAGT4P (01-11-2023)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:31 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

This will be the first mod I do when I relocate to somewhere like CO, CA, AZ with regular sunshine.
Although today and tomorrow is turbo time here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY weight loss: Windshield washer reservoir delete