Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Did the kit come with a pilot bearing?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:09 PM
MrFixedIt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Did the kit come with a pilot bearing?
It did come with a new throw out bearing. I another picture to the post.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:14 PM
88mmm
Instructor

I'm glad you took advantage. I doubt it's remanufactured. Where would they get the used disks to mass produced them. There were not that many GT2 clutches to begin with. Pilot bearing comes installed in the LUK flywheel which is the OEM supplier for our car.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 88mmm
I doubt it's remanufactured.
The giveaway that something is not kosher is all the corrosion and scruffing on the clutch discs. When you get them brand new they do not look anything like that. When I return to the states later this summer I can take some photos. The pressure plate was also turned on a lathe which you should never see with a brand new friction surface that is ground flat when originally manufactured.

Where would they get the used disks to mass produced them. There were not that many GT2 clutches to begin with.
You can try cross referencing the part numbers. The new friction surface that was riveted onto the old disc can probably/hopefully support the clamping pressure required. But GT2 as used here is just useless marketing term no different than an aftermarket vendor selling something as OEM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:10 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The giveaway that something is not kosher is all the corrosion and scruffing on the clutch discs. When you get them brand new they do not look anything like that. When I return to the states later this summer I can take some photos. The pressure plate was also turned on a lathe which you should never see with a brand new friction surface that is ground flat when originally manufactured.

You can try cross referencing the part numbers. The new friction surface that was riveted onto the old disc can probably/hopefully support the clamping pressure required. But GT2 as used here is just useless marketing term no different than an aftermarket vendor selling something as OEM.
I was going to pull the trigger, but it doesn't pass the smell test for me. I called RA and they said the kits were new. I questioned them about the corrosion on the clutch disc. They said they would exchange it. I said two people have purchased with this issue. They said maybe they have been in inventory for a long time. It just does not add up. I have purchased many Sachs clutch kits over the years, and they all has very shiny cadmium plating look.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:19 PM
88mmm
Instructor

To each there own. These are brand new parts. I called LUK to verify. If they were used or reman they would still have the Porsche part numbers. The little bit of corrosion you are seeing is from the adhesive on the paper packaging and the fact that they were likely sitting for a long time. Same kit is available from plenty of other sellers.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

To each there own. These are brand new parts. I called LUK to verify. If they were used or reman they would still have the Porsche part numbers. The little bit of corrosion you are seeing is from the adhesive on the paper packaging and the fact that they were likely sitting for a long time. Same kit is available from plenty of other sellers.
88mmm Just wondering how you are liking the feel of using a GT2 kit with an unsprung clutch disc?

Any noticeable differences in shifting or the feel of the clutch?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:29 AM
88mmm
Instructor

I notice a slight difference in the engagement especially starting off in first or backing up. It's a bit more abrupt. I imagine after driving a while I will no longer notice. Not that the boosted setup has good feel in the same situations anyway. I'm happy with the setup for sure.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Did you have the RMS replaced while the flywheel was removed?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:32 PM
MrFixedIt
Track Day

I believe the abrupt engagement is a by-product of not having a shiny clutch disc, or you are rushing because you are mentally preoccupied with what you are going to buy with the $500 you saved. I am going to polish my clutch disc before installing as well as spend my savings in advance. I anticipate stock clutch feel...
Old 04-27-2017, 12:54 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Are you planning to change your RMS while the tranny is out?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The grabing abrutly is probably due to a clutch surface thats not broken in yet!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 PM
88mmm
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrFixedIt
I believe the abrupt engagement is a by-product of not having a shiny clutch disc, or you are rushing because you are mentally preoccupied with what you are going to buy with the $500 you saved. I am going to polish my clutch disc before installing as well as spend my savings in advance. I anticipate stock clutch feel...
Not sure what your problem is but if you want to know I took my daughter on an awesome backpacking trip in the ADKs with the extra money. The gt2 disk is unsprung hence the slightly quicker grab. Stock disk is sprung.

No I didn't replace the rms. Looked fine.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 PM
MrFixedIt
Track Day

Not sure what your problem is but if you want to know I took my daughter on an awesome backpacking trip in the ADKs with the extra money. The gt2 disk is unsprung hence the slightly quicker grab. Stock disk is sprung.

No I didn't replace the rms. Looked fine.
Sorry the sarcasm didn't make it through. I was kidding. I am with you, I bought the deal as well. I think it is money well saved. But your making me look bad spending you savings on your daughter, mine is going towards a rear sway bar.

Keep us posted on how the clutch breaks in.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

there shouldn't be any discernible difference in "feel", engagement, or otherwise btw the oem sprung vs the gt2 unsprung disc.

just break it in like you would any new clutch ( gently ) and if anything feels "different"? then it could well be, that something is.

the oem clutch doesn't ( shouldn't ) "grab".

btw good question on the rms. for the +40 bucks while its staring you in the face? why not.

Quick Reply: Clutch Deal FYI