Sponsored by:

Carfax Request

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 PM
split71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i agree and in spite of my own occasional missteps(!?) and love of, ( and frequent participation in ) "online dramedy" ... I'm also here to learn, as well as share what tidbits of usually useful info i may have picked up over the years, in the spirit of the "community".

it's really that "fake" outrage, coupled with sanctimonious umbrage, is a pet peeve of mine. so i call out injustice and hypocrisy when and where i see it.

so, i hope someone runs that vin for you. cheers.
x2 - glad we have some cadence in attitude here! All the help!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:33 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i suspect we are like minded people... you're just a nicer person than i am ha
Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well just a quick update. Someone did run the VIN for me, I wont name them just so 1. they don't get hit up over and over by others looking for them and 2. because since unbeknownst to me, it being against RL guidelines, I don't want to get them in trouble. But they know who they are and thank you very much! The Carfax was very promising. It was a car that lived it's entire life in SoCal and only 2 owners, the second of which picked it up after the car was only a year and 4 months old. The car is pretty much completely stock. The mileage suggested that it lived it's life as a mostly daily driver. With a optimistic hitch in my step, I arranged to go look at the car today. It's on the lower end of the price spread of a clean titled 996TT with gears that you row through yourself at $39k. The car is black and had 105k miles on the clock and has a good maintenance history. I figured, it would be nice to see it before doing a PPI, so here's what I found just by looking at the car.

Interior
-Generally the black leather interior is in fairly good condition and nicer than other cars that I've looked at with similar or slightly less miles.
-Some kind of pock marks on the passenger seat bottom, but no tears or excess wear that would deter me.
-The Carbon pieces really are nice and make the interior feel much more special than others that I've sat in or driven without these pieces. Mostly because the CF is in good shape. I've sat in some that the CF was peeling and felt really cheap, so I think it's dependent on how good of condition and quality of the CF.
-The CF Steering wheel which is prone to cracks only seemed to have one crack on the backside of the rim at about the 11-12 o'clock position. It's not sharp or bad feeling and you can't see it as it's on the backside of the rim, but I know it's there again, wouldn't deter me. The Airbag doesn't have the weird outlining that often comes with age, so that's nice or means it's been replaced, but I don't think so as it didn't show any signs of accident damage, at least not to my eyes. But if it had, it'd be revealed in a PPI.
-Center vent, passenger side, the slider that directs the air left and right is stuck and I didn't want to force it, but I'm sure that it would be a simple fix to get it to slide back and forth again.
-Domelights, the center one is out, most likely a simple bulb. I'd want to switch to LED anyway, so it doesn't bother me and the left and right side ones worked fine.
-Driver's side visor mirror cover is missing and the lights that go on when it's lifted do not function.

Exterior
-Passenger side window doesn't go up or down that 1/4 of an inch when you open the door like it's supposed to. Actually, the window doesn't go up and down at all. You can hear the motor going when you press the switch, so it's probably a bad regulator. Again, an easy fix and one that they said they said they're going to take care of before it's sold.
-Frunk needs new hood shocks as the current ones wont hold the weight of the hood.
-Wing wont go up or down
-Rear Turn signals are a slightly different color amber. Probably one old bulb and one new.
-Both rear tail lights have cracks as well as both of them suffer from the common mounting tabs being broken.
-Paint has a ton of swirl marks, a few scratches and a few areas where the paint on the decklid looks a little oxidized. You can tell it has spent the majority of it's life as a daily driver and parked outside rather than in a garage.
-Wheels are HRE 18's and look really nice. but do suffer from a little curb rash on the outer lips.
-Tires seemed to have plenty of life left, but are mismatched Pirelli's up front and Sumitomo's in the rear. However they are being replaced with brand new tires front and rear before car is sold.

Mechanical
-You can feel the motor kind of jump when you rev it. I suspect it needs new motor mounts
-It was hard to replicate this, but sporadically when you revved the engine up, when it revved down, it would occasionally hiccup, then the revs would go up maybe a couple hundred rpm, then rev back down as normal. I suspect this may be a problem with the stock diverter valves, which if that's the case, would be an easy fix with a set of billet DV's, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I could better diagnose that. Maybe coils going bad?
-engine bay had a whistling that kinda of sounded like the pulleys or belts need to be replaced.
-engine clattering seemed a little louder than most 996TT's.

I think the dealership is going to fix and take care of the majority of the issues and some of the others are just what you have to expect in a car at this price point. But I think that at $39k, if you end up having to drop 4-5K into it, you can probably start off with a cleaner car at the $44-45K range and not have to sink anything extra into it. I didn't get the chance to actually test drive the car as it was still being prepped for sale and in the mechanics bay in the garage. I will say the owner of the dealership seemed like a nice guy and was enjoyable to talk to. But I think I'm going to walk away from this one. The right car will find me eventually. Actually, there's one that I really want, but it's just out of my price range and a private seller so I'm having trouble trying to find financing for it.

Quick Reply: Carfax Request