Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased a 51k mile 996 TT, got a couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:31 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 51k mile 996 TT, got a couple of questions.

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking around here for a couple of years now and today I'm officially a Porsche owner. I finally found the right car for me, perfect stable mate to my Supercharged E39 M5!

I purchased a 2001 996TT Artic Silver with black interior and manual transmission from a local dealer here in Atlanta, car has 51k miles on the clock, overall condition is good, not excellent. According to carfax, this car has never been in an accident and it has a clear title.

My favorite thing about this car are the GT3 seats, they are surprisingly comfortable for me. Other thing I really liked are the wheels, however, they will require some work, mostly to fix the curb rash and one of the wheels is bent. (Can anyone recommend a decent wheel repair shop in Atlanta?)
The wheels are "Speedline Gemballa Competition" I believe, I can see from the wheel stamps in the back, they are original wheels. The car seems to have other bits and pieces with the Gemballa name on it, like the foot pedals, and the exhaust I believe.

My first question to you guys is in regards to the size on these wheels, they seem to be 18x12 ET28 rears, does that sound right to you? I think OEM twists are 18x11, not sure on offset. Are these too wide for the Turbo? I can tell they are rubbing on the back fender liner on both sides.
This could be mostly because the car is lowered with H&R springs.

My main question is in regards to this '****' on the driver's side of the center console by the footwell. Not sure what it does? Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas of what could it be? Could it possible be a boost control?
Or maybe radar detector or even audio? I obviously asked the seller and he didn't know anything and I don't know who the previous owner was.

This car is full of surprises, mostly good. Haven't driven it much really, I drove it home and put it on jack stands since I knew it needs tires and a CV boot on front axle. Also will be doing an oil change and apparently, it is going to need all fluids changed since it is due for a major service.

i will be tackling everything from my home garage.

Here are some pictures:

Old 03-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Nice car.

Post a photo of "the ****" when you can.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Part of the deal should be to have them remove their sticker from the rear deck lid.

Awesome car, look super clean, sounds like GT2 size wheels in the rear and possibly front. I like the seats and the color combo is perfect (i am biased)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:54 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrats! GT3 seats look awesome.

Curious why you think the rear wheels are 18x12 ET28. Stock GT2 spec is 18x12 ET45, which is what I run with no rubbing. I would expect ET28 to stick out further than is shown in your pics, and to rub on the outside vs. inside.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome phone holder

Seriously, congrats. The car looks great and you will love it. I had a 2001 M5, took it to Dinan and slowly turned it into an S2, that was a monster sedan. I never got to the final stage of supercharging it; WOW, that must be fun. I miss that car, sold it with 170k . . . I owned that car for longer than any in my car career, I loved that thing . . . KH
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 PM
buffalosojah
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I test drove this car a while back, but ended up buying a different one. The car seemed to be in good condition, and like you, I loved the wheels on it. Congrats. There's a good wheel repair shop in the Brookhaven area. Can't quite remember the name.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:47 PM
splitime
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Nice car.

Yup, get us a picture.

I had a mystery **** driver side, but under the dash; it was a custom K40 radar detector install that mainly is just a noise maker as it is so outdated.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM
splitime
Advanced

Looks like a K&N air filter in there also, I'm seeing quite a bit of mixed opinion on an oiled filter on a MAF based car due to potential oil on the MAF shortening its life.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:57 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Nice car.

Here you go,

Old 03-10-2017, 04:02 PM
splitime
Advanced

Totally looks like a K40. Without you pulling the panel to see that labeling on it, won't know which model. **** style looks identical to mine though... I found it less than useful as it picked up EVERYTHING (so it works... but no logic controls/gps etc..).

Center of the **** is volume (it pushes through your speakers with a output/input for Front and Rear detection and sound), the lower **** is the on/off and one direction is "City" other direction is "Highway". The clear spot below will go orange/green depending on mode once on.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:02 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Looks a lot like my new toy
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Part of the deal should be to have them remove their sticker from the rear deck lid.

Awesome car, look super clean, sounds like GT2 size wheels in the rear and possibly front. I like the seats and the color combo is perfect (i am biased)
thanks! sticker was the first thing that was gone!!!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:08 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Originally Posted by manimal
Congrats! GT3 seats look awesome.

Curious why you think the rear wheels are 18x12 ET28. Stock GT2 spec is 18x12 ET45, which is what I run with no rubbing. I would expect ET28 to stick out further than is shown in your pics, and to rub on the outside vs. inside.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Originally Posted by khiroshima
Awesome phone holder

Seriously, congrats. The car looks great and you will love it. I had a 2001 M5, took it to Dinan and slowly turned it into an S2, that was a monster sedan. I never got to the final stage of supercharging it; WOW, that must be fun. I miss that car, sold it with 170k . . . I owned that car for longer than any in my car career, I loved that thing . . . KH
thank you! yep, phone holder is now history, luckily previous owner saved the original piece of trim that belongs there.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:11 PM
atlzhp6m
Advanced

Originally Posted by buffalosojah
I test drove this car a while back, but ended up buying a different one. The car seemed to be in good condition, and like you, I loved the wheels on it. Congrats. There's a good wheel repair shop in the Brookhaven area. Can't quite remember the name.
Really? Small world! I'm hoping the previous owner will show up here eventually.
Not only did I test drive the car, I took it to a shop and did my own PPI...

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 51k mile 996 TT, got a couple of questions.