Sponsored by:

6 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:00 AM
k.a.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 point harness

I'm considering installing a 6 point harness in my 996 turbo, together with Sparco Evo II bucket seats. Has any of you installed a 6 point harness in your car? How did you do with the anchoring of the anti-sub straps?

If you used an anti-sub strap bar fastened to the seat rails, which brand did you use?

I have also considered using eye-bolts drilled through the floor. But if those should be installed with an 0-20 degree angle from the anti-sub strap cut out in the chair it means that the eye-bolts would attach where the ECU is currently placed. Does anyone have a feasible solution to this?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:12 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Buy or make one of these.
http://www.bkauto.com/R_9032_Sub_Str...t_p/r-9032.htm

If you mount it to the floor every time you move the seat you will have to adjust the strap length which is usually a pain.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

General consensus is harnesses are a no-no without a roll bar. They say they could trap you in place if the roof gets crushed, where a shoulder belt will allow you to move out of the way.

I am planning on roll bar install with harnesses, but will probably need to make one custom because i need to be able to recline the passenger seat to fit a surfboard inside.

Had a roll bar and 5 point harnesses in my last 300ZX TT and it inspired good driving practices by holding you in place.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM
k.a.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@fpb111: Something like that would be a good solution. However, if possible I would like to find something that is a direct fit to the Sparco sliders.
You are right that one drawback with floor mounting is the need for adjustments. However, the 997 GT3 RS has it mounted to the floor, but the the "change" in length of the anti-sub strap when moving the seat is not too bad. I would therefore consider mounting to the floor if someone has a good solution for how to handle the ECU issue.

@Third-Reef: Either a roll bar or a full cage will be installed together with the 6pt.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I use the BK floor mount with euro GT3 seats and at 6'1" and 34 inseam it puts me in perfect position to the pedals. Tried it and got lucky with fit on first install. I couln't imaging going back to a set of stock perches on the track. Even at the lowest setting they are sky high compared to a floor mount.

Quick Reply: 6 point harness