Sponsored by:

Where are all the 996tt on the roads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:59 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You thought you could Google some demographics and debate the subject with a full time and a part time resident of the area.

You were wrong and still are wrong.

The chances of seeing an exotic car in northern NM/southern CO depends on the season and who happens to be in town. Resident demographics are meaningless.

I think this statement of yours is undeniably true (of anyplace in the world) :
"depends on the season and who happens to be in town"
(transient demographics)

I think this statement is blatantly false: "Resident demographics are meaningless"

Compare and contrast:

Beverly Hills, CA:
The median household income is $193,000.

Barstow, CA:
The median household income is $40,648.

Care to take a guess at the relative density of exotic cars between those two? You can Google regardless of whether you've been to either and have a reasonably accurate expectation. Given of course your totally accurate caveat.

Demographic matter. Also, proximity to shops that can service exotics matters. Don't underestimate the power of Google...
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

It seems some want to disparage other people by attempting to associate those people's "research" with "surfing the web" (read: "using Google"), where "surfing the web" (not directly stated as that, but associated with using Google) is used to denote mindless and unrelated hunting and pecking for something one knows nothing about.

In fact, those with the education and/or common sense to know what they are looking for do in fact use the Web (read: "Google") to target their research and attain useful information. Google allows one the ability to target government information regarding statistical data that is obviously not available on the bookshelves in their house.

I for one do not keep census data reference material in my house. When I need that information, I use Google to get it.

Additionally, although I keep a copy of the Goode's World Atlas on my shelf, I find I use Google maps almost exclusively as my reference.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell

I think this statement is blatantly false: "Resident demographics are meaningless"..
My statement is only in regards to Santa Fe NM and its somewhat unique resident situation that I happen to personally be a part of. Because of that it is 100% accurate.

Demographics of Beverly Hills and Barstow are irrelevant to it. Though I do agree with your projected conclusion based on those figures. Especially since I have spent very little time in Barstow and thus would not presume to know the lay of the land.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:16 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
That's funny.
Only because it is true.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here is a list of the 2016 Santa Fe Concorso prize winners. Note the owner's addresses. Very few list Santa Fe, yet I would bet 75% of the cars reside in Santa Fe. The average Santa Fe resident income would never give a hint of that.

http://santafeconcorso.com/2016_Awards.pdf
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You thought you could Google some demographics and debate the subject with a full time and a part time resident of the area
Here's what's funny:

1. I am debating the subject with a part time resident of the area.

2. Your use of "You thought" indicates that you think you know what goes through my mind.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
Demographic matter.
Yes they do.

The population density of a defined area (in this case northern NM and southern CO) along with the demographics of the area's resident population, are factors that can affect the number and quantity of high-end vehicles that could be seen on the roads at any given time.

Additionally, the demographics of the Santa Fe residents impacts the chances of seeing a 996 Turbo or other high-end sports car because in a typical week the demographics of the resident population means that there are four days when the chances of seeing one of the mentioned cars is reduced because the residents generally can't afford to own them. It's the weekend, when the non-resident higher income people may be in town, (a demographics change) when the chances go up of seeing one of the mentioned cars in the local area. But even then, the chances of seeing one of the mentioned cars in the greater described area are drastically reduced simply because of the dilution the 113,000 sq miles has on the numbers.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's what's funny:

1. I am debating the subject with a part time resident of the area.

2. Your use of "You thought" indicates that you think you know what goes through my mind.
1. Typical of you, engaging in a debate of something you know nothing about and trying to bluff your way through it.

2. Forgive me I forgot. You don't think, you just type.

As for demographics, see post #80.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-13-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

1. Typical of you, engaging in a debate of something you know nothing about and trying to bluff your way through it.
That's funny. Why? Because I have an educational background in this stuff.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan A
So then it appears the cars aren't getting driven because the owners are too busy arguing about where the garages that are keeping them dry are distributed.

I think that's a fair synopsis. Is it time for kitten pictures?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The more exotic the car, the less it gets driven, as a general rule. Most people who post on internet forums about their exotic cars will also mention that those cars are not their DD vehicles.

Maybe not the best example, but I have 3 vehicles that would be considered by some to be at least somewhat exotic, including my 996 TT. Even if you live on my street (actually 2 streets, because I have a 2nd house I share with my business partner in the city I do business), you probably don't know that I have any of these cars. You would be much more likely to see me driving my Golf R or my 135i Coupe, because those cars are, simply stated, more practical, and I don't mind racking up the miles on them. They also don't attract attention, and if I needed to park somewhere that I couldn't keep an eye on my car, it's not the 996 TT you are going to find in the Home Depot parking lot, or on a downtown street, after dark.

This is not to say that the "exotics" don't get driven, they do, but they are much more likely to go out on a 155 mile drive than on a 10 mile one.

I'd imagine that most 996 TT or other exotic car owners do the same. So even if you are in Beverly Hills, you probably are not going to see a constant parade of McClarens, or Ferraris, or Porsche Turbos; it's the beaters you are going to see.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I see a decent number of exotics and Porsche Turbos around San Diego, but I don't think most of them are Rennlist/PCA members, and they're not slumming it up in a 15 year-old car with ugly headlights.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's funny. Why? Because I have an educational background in this stuff.
Maybe you should do a better job at using that education and realize that often first hand knowledge is much more acurate than statistics?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Maybe you should do a better job at using that education and realize that often first hand knowledge is much more acurate than statistics?
I use my educational background just fine.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I use my educational background just fine.
Doesn't seem that way.

Quick Reply: Where are all the 996tt on the roads?