Sponsored by:

What's the deal with Turbo Cab's / Convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default What's the deal with Turbo Cab's / Convertibles

Ok, I tried searching, but didn't find anything clear...

Why does it seem that the Turbo Cab's don't seem to sell for as much as the coupes?

Is it less desired due to rigidity, or track potential? Or is there something different about them that they don't have compared to the coupes?

I'm in the market, and wouldn't be against a Cabrio (although would still prefer a coupe), but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Please enlighten me as to why their value isn't as strong
Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

You said it "(although would still prefer a coupe)," and then there is the rest, "rigidity, or track potential"
Old 02-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NoogaSparrow
Ok, I tried searching, but didn't find anything clear...

Why does it seem that the Turbo Cab's don't seem to sell for as much as the coupes?

Is it less desired due to rigidity, or track potential? Or is there something different about them that they don't have compared to the coupes?

I'm in the market, and wouldn't be against a Cabrio (although would still prefer a coupe), but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Please enlighten me as to why their value isn't as strong
You answered your own question in that while you say you "wouldn't be against a Cabrio (although would still prefer (and you italicized prefer) a coupe)". All you failed to do was list the reasons why you feel the way you do.

People, more people, prefer a coupe to a Cab.

My opinion is most people are not a fan of top down driving. If one doesn't care for this then a Cab brings with it a feature one doesn't care for and with a bunch (well, some) negatives.

(I bought my Boxster primarily for its mid-engine layout and the fact it has lots of trunk space. I tried the top down thing and some of my lady friends loved the car but I found I was just not a fan of top down driving. I used to ride motorcycles exclusively -- when younger -- and I guess I got that out in the air and sun experience out of my system.)

If you own a Cab and if you own it long enough you'll have to replace the top. In the meantime there is the concern -- in the case of the Porsche Cab justified or not -- about possible top leaks.

Then there is the top hardware. The top hardware is I believe robust but just something else to break/go wrong.

There is the question of structural rigidity and weight. Before I bought my Boxster I drove some convertibles -- rented them at various times while my then car was in the shop or when I was on business -- and the rigidity was horrible. I researched the Boxster and read all I could read on it and the word was the car was quite rigid. My test drive found this to be the case and my experience owning one now for 15+ years (and driving it over 308K miles) has found this to be the case.

The problem is while the Boxster was designed from the ground up the Cab was derived from a car that was intended from the start to have a solid roof (which adds considerable structural rigidity to the car). Sure Porsche has made some changes to address this and from what I gather 2nd hand has done a good job people are probably judging the Cab based on their experience or that of others with other brands.

Another thing is while the Cab's shape and silhouette is Ok with the top up with the top down it becomes less ok. The car is not ugly with the top down by any stretch of the imagination it is just the missing roof line accentuates the rear portion of the car giving it a -- to some -- a less pleasing appearance.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They cost more new, and less on resale
Old 02-24-2017, 01:49 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

And then there are folks that love the versatility of a cab, especially one with a removable hardtop. It is like having two different cars.
With the hardtop on the car is like a coupe. (with some creaks and groans pulling into uneven driveways)
We just took our hardtop off for the summer.
During the next few months of 45-80 degree weather the soft top will only go up if it is raining.
When it gets hot, top up with air conditioning on it is very comfortable and we still get top down on crisp mornings and evenings.

I think autocross is easier with the top down because you can see the course better.
All of that said if you are going to the track get a coupe .
Old 02-24-2017, 02:05 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I only put the top up on my 964 a hand full of days a year. Depends where you live how much use you will get out of it.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

When I went in to buy my turbo there was a 2002 Carrera cab, black with tan interior, sitting in the show room with the top down. My wife's comment was "really, we're buying that one (the turbo) for $15k more? Why?" I told her that if I needed to explain it to her, she would not understand. I get it, cabs are cool in their own way.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

@Macster - Great point about the silhouette, it is a big difference compared to the 'classic' one portrayed by a 911. I didn't consider that, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking there's something different... that was the nail on the head of that thought!

@fpb - I agree, great versatility and lots of fun, as I've had a cab before (non-porsche)!

I don't plan on tracking it (I say that now), but mainly as a DD during the good months... I have some 'soul searching' to do
Old 02-24-2017, 03:24 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I'd love to add a TT Cab sometime...think the 996tt personality is well suited to convertible life...
In my experience in the car world, either you like convertibles and get 'it' or you don't...
Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
In my experience in the car world, either you like convertibles and get 'it' or you don't...
Yep, that's it.

I'm simply not a ragtop man.

But I do have a cool Harley (Road King) for that 'out in the wind' experience!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:45 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

I bet 50%+ of the people who say they don't like the cab because it isn't as rigid as the coupe never track their cars anyway. For tooling around town and the occasional spirited blast through the twisties the cab is awesome and most people won't even be able to notice a meaningful difference.

To me the open top experience enhances everything about the car. I'd buy what you want and not worry about what all the bench racers have to say about how it's inferior to the coupe. I guess you either like convertibles or you don't. I had an 01 TT coupe and I kept thinking that the only way to improve the experience for me would be if it was a convertible. Then I went and got a cab and love it.

Twenty years from now well-kept cabs will be at a significant premium to the much more common coupe.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:17 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

If I were in the market for a 996 Turbo, I'd be looking for a Cab, not a coupe.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
I'd love to add a TT Cab sometime...think the 996tt personality is well suited to convertible life...
Totally agree, convertibles are a different experience and I'd like a stock vert, maybe even tip for relaxing drives, already have a scalpel version of the car.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:43 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I originally wanted a cab... just couldn't find one, "settled" for a coupe. Not really complaining, but I can't stop looking at cabs...
Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
I originally wanted a cab... just couldn't find one, "settled" for a coupe. Not really complaining, but I can't stop looking at cabs...
I was the oppose.
i originally looking for a coupe
but couldn't find one.
A cab with acceptable price and condition suddenly turned up and i just settled for it.
i also own a bmw as a family car and it is comparably faster at low reps.
i have no regret to have a cab because the experience is totally different and a coupe cannot provide this new joy to me

Quick Reply: What's the deal with Turbo Cab's / Convertibles