Sponsored by:

DTC Code 0446 EVAP canister shutoff valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 AM
bw1999
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DTC Code 0446 EVAP canister shutoff valve

Still a bit of a newbie so wanted confirmation that I'm heading down the right path.

Last night, after driving home with no issues, my car threw a check engine light while pulling into the garage. Thanks to my handy-dandy UMW code reader (shoutout to Kevin), I find a P0446 code which is EVAP canister purge valve. I then remember that when I got gas a week ago, it only filled it half way. I then needed to turn the filler upside down for the first time. In addition, I recall that when I bought the car about 6 months ago, the one DTC code it had was 0442, which is fuel vent system micro leak.

So, I am thinking i need to replace this part:

Fuel Tank Vent Valve on Filler Neck, (Bleeder Valve)

Part #: 996-201-143-01-M100

and maybe the gas cap while I'm at it. Also, just found this piece that I might need to:

Purge Valve for Fuel Vapor Canister

Part #: 996-605-201-01-M244

Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Last edited by bw1999; 02-23-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:21 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Before you do anything check to be sure you don't have a blown fuse. If I remember correctly the fuse that controls filler neck valve is also the one for cigarette lighter.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Before you do anything check to be sure you don't have a blown fuse. If I remember correctly the fuse that controls filler neck valve is also the one for cigarette lighter.
I will check tonight. In the meantime I found yet another piece it could be:

Fuel Tank Vapor Valve for Carbon Canister

So confused
Old 02-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Trouble Code:
System:
Subsystem:
P0446 - (ASE)
Powertrain
Auxiliary Emission Controls

DTC Description: Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Vent Control Circuit
Analysis: Monitors the Canister Vent (CV) solenoid circuit for an electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified canister vent duty cycle by Powertrain Control Module (PCM) command.
Process Synopsis:

Monitor Evaporative Emissions Canister Purge Vent Control (EVAPCV) PID and voltage between canister vent solenoid signal and Power (PWR) Electrical Ground (GND) in output test mode with Key ON Engine OFF (KOEO) (or in Key ON Engine Running (KOER) mode)

Evaporative Emissions Canister Purge Vent Control (EVAPCV) PID at 0% and voltage less than 1.0 volt (or Evaporative Emissions Canister Purge Vent Control (EVAPCV) PID at 100% and voltage greater than 0.5 volt) indicates a hard fault

Likely Causes:

Evaporative Emissions (EVAP), Canister Vent Solenoid Issues:
-- Vent power supply circuit is open (No power reaching circuit from battery) => Check Fuses to Vent Sol, Manifold, Engine, ENG CTRL, etc.
-- Vent Solenoid control circuit is open (No power reaching control circuit)
-- Vent Solenoid control circuit is shorten to Electrical Ground (GND), Chassis
-- Vent Solenoid control circuit is shorten to (B+), (Vehicle Power (VPWR) [Battery Voltage])
-- Vent Solenoid Valve is damaged

-- Damaged/Failed Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Its definitely not the fuse for the lighter, and I couldn't figure out which other fuse it could be.

Kevinmacd: Can I ask where you got the information you posted. I cannot find it in the repair manual but I'm probably looking in the wrong place. I also only understand how to do about half of that.

Quick Reply: DTC Code 0446 EVAP canister shutoff valve