Sponsored by:

Help me decide which tires...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:53 AM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me decide which tires...

Michelin PS2 or Yoko Advan A048? Currently riding on Hankook and likeing it.

Usage: DD street & freeway commute. No tracking.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I am in the same boat. I will probably go for the PS2s because they have better all around performance. Meaning better wet grip and lower noise while still providing good performance and handling and hey have N3 rating. They are the standard "what should i put on my turbo" tire The A048s would provide better track performance but i do not believe they are as good all around. The PS2s should be a significant step up from the Hankooks.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

You can't really go wrong with either. However, there are some low temperature limitations on the Yokohama's you need to read up on. I don't mean low temperature performance as all summer tires suffer, but the potential for cracking the sidewall if dropped or hit hard while exposed to low temperatures. I spoke with one of the seasoned (30+ year) Yoko engineers about this and it's related to the chemical composition. In warm, weather they are fine. They even need to be stored in warm temps.

With that said, I have Michelin PS2's on my M5 and the Yoko's on my TTS.

The problem I've found with the Michelins is that they are frequently out of stock in the TTS sizes. I refuse to be held hostage by Michelin waiting months for them to become available. Perhaps they've remedied their production problems but at the time, I wasn't waiting to see.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Q's911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS2's all the way...phenomenal tire!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Given your indicated usage of zero track and all street, you have no need for A048 unless the A048 has changed from being a track tire recently?

Of those 2, go with the PS2s.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

I use PS2's on both cars and like them better than the other available choices.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

the Yokhama AD08 is a little closer to your requirements that the AD048, More track oriented than the PS2 but much more multi purpose that the AD048.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:09 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
the Yokhama AD08 is a little closer to your requirements that the AD048, More track oriented than the PS2 but much more multi purpose that the AD048.
I didn't catch that he asked about the 048's. I have the AD08 tires. They are plenty sticky. The PS2's are good as well; when Michelin is kind enough to produce them.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Take a look at the Michelin PSS
Old 02-22-2017, 04:47 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The PSS is awesome, and what I run on my other cars and recommend to family members for theirs, but it doesn't come in 295 or 315 widths, unfortunately.

I read a rumor on another forum that the compound of the PS2 has been updated to be the same as the PSS, but I cannot confirm that. Curious if there's any truth to it.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:42 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. Michelin it is. Is it true that Michelin is the quietest tire out there? Right now looking at 315/30/18 & 235/40/18.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ expensive but great tires and those are most optimal sizes. depending upon your driving style/conditions though, you might notice some rub with the 315/30 rear. many roll their fenders to run that wider tire. i ran on twists w 7x15 spacers and still rubbed on compression/corners bounce. i was once adamant about running only ps2's but honestly, since i get no more life out of them than i do r888's ( for example ) which are 2 for 1 in price vs the ps2 and i find the r888 to be nearly equally sticky. at least while they have tread! ha

given i go thru approximately 2.5 sets of rears a year, i'll take the *growling* of the toyo's and the savings over the quieter ps'2. but yes, you'll never "hear" them lol

most any tire will be an *improvement* over the ( v12? ) Hankook's you are currently running.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bansasn
Thanks for the comments everyone. Michelin it is. Is it true that Michelin is the quietest tire out there? Right now looking at 315/30/18 & 235/40/18.
235/40/18 produces 818 revs/mile.

315/30/18 produces 817 revs/mile. With the Turbo the rear tires want to make more revs per mile than the fronts so the viscous coupling fluid heats up and there is a transfer of torque from the rear axle to the front axle.

If you use the above set of tires while the viscous coupling fluid will get hot from the revs/mile difference (though the difference is just 1 rev/mile which is quite a bit less than the difference with factory sanctioned wheel/tire sets) the front axle tries to transfer torque to the rear axle. This will act to effect some braking action on the front diff and thus the front wheels/tires.

While the car proably won't end up in the weeds or up against a guard rail you have modified the car's dynamics and not in a qood way if you go with this wheel/tire combination.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I"ll bet my two legs that a Turbo with GT2 size tires will out handle a Turbo with stock size tires, nothing else touched.

But, I'm curious. What makes you think it will ruin the dynamics of the car?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
I"ll bet my two legs that a Turbo with GT2 size tires will out handle a Turbo with stock size tires, nothing else touched.

But, I'm curious. What makes you think it will ruin the dynamics of the car?
As I covered in my previous post the wrong sized tires means the front tires are turning more revs per mile than the rear tires which is the *opposite* of what happens when factory sanctioned tires/wheels are used.

The result is while the viscous coupling fluid still gets heated up because different rotational speeds of the two sets of discs in the coupling the discs that are connected to the rear diff turn slower than the discs connected to the front diff.

There is then no torque transfer (5% to 40%) from the rear diff to the front diff. Instead the slower turning discs connected to the rear diff act to brake the discs connected to the front diff. The front wheels/tires then can experience some considerable braking effect as speed increases. Nominally there is 5% to 40% torque transfer from the rear diff to the front diff. I do not know at what speed 5% occurs and I have not come upon a chart/graph that shows how the torque transfer increases with speed only that Porsche in its reference material writes that the 40% transfer occurs at around 150mph.

Maybe one could assume the amount of torque is linear to speed and assume that at say 75mph 20% torque is transferred.

Regardless instead of torque being transffered from the rear diff to the front diff some considerable breaking action is being transmitted.

Around town on dry/good roads even on the highway perhaps this probably won't make itself known, although fuel mileage will probably suffer some. At higher speeds the car may (I say may) experience/manifest weird behavior.

The front end of these cars is pretty lightly loaded and can get even lighter under some conditions. Thus the braking affect arising from the mismatched front and rear wheels/tires can have more effect.

The basic problem is you have configured the car in a way it was not intended to be configured. Thus the PSM and ABS systems are having to operate under conditions they were never intended (or even tested possibly) to operate under by Porsche. You are charting new ground.

Maybe your usage will never have the car misbehave. (Probably helped by the fact the revs/mile difference is so low.) If so that's great. But I see no reason tempt fate with an incorrect selection of tires and I caution people about this when the opportunity arises.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which tires...