996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 996 Turbo Maintenance so far...

Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM
mat59
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 996 Turbo Maintenance so far...

Guys, here's my maintenance history on my 2002 996 Turbo. Just had a big bill which has made me think about how much I've spent on it in total in the 2.5 years and 11000 kilometres I've had it.

Bought it at 127k kms. It was in good condition but had obviously been a daily driver for the first few owners, as is the car with these cars. I bought before prices and interest rose. All the paintwork is original but there is the odd blemish and normal interior wear. Had a PPI before buying which revealed a sound car in need of some basic exterior and interior cosmetic work, which I've been plugging away at (I won't include the cost of this here). PPI also revealed the car needed a set of tyres and pads/discs, which was factored into the price and done when I first bought the car. Since then I've done:

- CV joint replaced due to torn boot.
- Battery X 2 - it's hot here and these don't last well.
- Instrument Cluster #1 - oil level warning failed. Changed the sensors on engine (at cost) and was eventually traced to a bad cluster. Avoided a huge bill by sending it away to be repaired.
- Alternator - it was the original. Think the voltage regulator failed, which caused my second instrument cluster fault due to a spike in current. Was weak anyway so replaced with a new unit.
- Instrument cluster #2. As above, had the batt/alternator warning on permanently. Sent off cluster (again) and had it repaired at reasonable cost.
- Rear shocks leaking - replaced with OEM bilstein.
- ABS Pump - had all other possible causes of my ABS PSM warning investigated and turned out to be the pump. Ordered a remanufactured unit from Bosch. Half the price of porsche unit but still expensive!

I've also done a load of little bits like frunk and engine lid struts, new mats, spacers, wheel refurb, seat belt reel, new keys, interior phone delete and probably a few other things. Added a stainless exhaust. These were either inexpensive or unnecessary.

PPI and service history shows it had a recent clutch, various suspension bushes and engine mounts shortly before I bought it. I've been doing regular oil changes and drive with mechanical sympathy and make sure everything is warmed up and cooled down etc.

I only do street miles, mostly of weekends. Bought a Subaru BRZ for the track but tempted to sell and use the turbo; just concerned it'll get costly with more mechanical failures.

I'm assuming I'll be looking at rads, turbos, spoiler rams and suspension parts at some point in the future.

Not begrudging spending on a bit of maintenance on what was a very expensive car when new. Besides it's risen 50% in value which has made it a pretty cheap hobby. Love the car anyway.

Have considered changing the car for a Cayman R or 997.2 C2S. On looking at both, the Cayman R just wasn't a 911 but I am tempted by a 997.2. Not as special but a bit newer and quite fancy a PDK. Could just be buying more trouble though and going through a similar process.

How have the rest of you compared to myself in terms of mechanical failures?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:03 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

You've done a lot. Others may disagree but I consider it excessive over a 2.5 year period.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:34 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had mine for 2 years. It is a 2001 with 50k, so hard to compare to your miles but...
- two new rear tires. I dove to long on a low pressure tire
- Voltage regulator. Indy said battery was not getting full charge when driven.
- Battery. Then bought a battery tender no issues since.
- Power Steering fluid. It got low.
- Oil changes.

I'd agree with autobonrun... your maintenance sounds high.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

2002 have it for 5+ years has 41.5k miles besides oil changes and tires 2x, had to fix the shifter bushing, coils, plugs, replaced bad divertor valves, main key switch, replaced trans and front diff oils, replaced battery, oil pressure sender, had the coolant tank replaced, coolant tank cap, clutch accumulator and slave cylinder, entire spoiler mechanism, carbon fiber strips on the front defroster vent trim, I now need a new key head, and need to send out the rearview dimming mirror for repair of the dimmer fluid.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:07 AM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
2002 have it for 5+ years has 41.5k miles besides oil changes and tires 2x, had to fix the shifter bushing, coils, plugs, replaced bad divertor valves, main key switch, replaced trans and front diff oils, replaced battery, oil pressure sender, had the coolant tank replaced, coolant tank cap, clutch accumulator and slave cylinder, entire spoiler mechanism, carbon fiber strips on the front defroster vent trim, I now need a new key head, and need to send out the rearview dimming mirror for repair of the dimmer fluid.
Mind me asking how you decided the fix the carbon fiber strips on the front defroster trim? One of mine has cracked and other has delaminated. Did you get new trim, or go another route? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 AM
centexsi
Instructor

That is really not too bad, repairs on this car can easily spiral out of control especially if you are a bit OCD like a good portion of Porsche owners. I haven't seen an ABS pump go out though so that is a bit unusual.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Prior to purschase the car had
Clutch
Spark plugs and coils
Alternator rebuilt
Battery
air filter
Rear Wing replaced

Since then
Ignition switch replaced when key would not come out.
My ABS pump started leaking, had to replace it.
A hydraulic line from clutch reservoir started leaking, it had a small hair line crack where it was secured. Then it happened again right after we replaced it, the second time it was replaced they secured it like how the line was secured on the 997 turbo which has a bracket.
Replaced the front diff and tranny fluid which has never been done on it.
Replaced the pss9 suspension which had rusted out in the front
Car now needs transmission work. Hearing whine most likily just pinion bearing, thrust bearing replacement but won't know what else until it gets opened up.

Three very expensive problems but hopefully nothing else comes up.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:06 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Hi guys, first post from new member here. I'm picking up my first Porsche this Saturday. It's a 2001 stick shift 996 Turbo with about 40k miles. PPI came back good. Hoping my maintenance is on the better side. I intend to keep it for a few years as a garage queen and see if it appreciates in value
Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Jferrante
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
Hi guys, first post from new member here. I'm picking up my first Porsche this Saturday. It's a 2001 stick shift 996 Turbo with about 40k miles. PPI came back good. Hoping my maintenance is on the better side. I intend to keep it for a few years as a garage queen and see if it appreciates in value
dumb idea - drive it
Old 02-14-2017, 05:49 PM
bw1999
Instructor

I agree this seems like a lot of things to fix in 2.5 years, particularly 2 batteries.

Not to hi-jack this post, but how do you all track your maintenance that you do yourself? Excel? Notebook? Trying to figure out the best way to keep this organized.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:55 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bw1999
how do you all track your maintenance that you do yourself? Excel? Notebook? Trying to figure out the best way to keep this organized.
by noting the change of seasons lol
Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

You could always invoice yourself
Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

I agree this seems like a lot of things to fix in 2.5 years, particularly 2 batteries.

Not to hi-jack this post, but how do you all track your maintenance that you do yourself? Excel? Notebook? Trying to figure out the best way to keep this organized.
I have all my maintenance on Excel. All the way from 1984 on my SC. I divide it into planned and unplanned. I've always thought it's the unplanned that hurts the most. For example, tires and brake flush, planned; alternator or clutch pedal cluster unplanned. I track mileage, parts cost, and labor cost for each entry. Not hard once it's set up.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Go to mycarfax.com and you can input what you do and some other shops may too. I've put a few vehicles in there; it's all in one place, can be accessed anywhere and printed too.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
Congrats, the car is low mileage for a driver(2500/yr), you may find it hard to drive it that little after owning it for a few. They're more fun than most "other" cars and make a good dd if close to stock.

You're probably buying at a good time/on the upswing dollar wise, however at 17 years old rubber/plastic parts become susceptible to failure as they weaken with age. If hoses have not been replaced, lots of people do them when the radiators get replaced or the engine is dropped for a clutch or flywheel. Doing the water/vacuum hoses, motor/trans mounts, tires, reservoir, belt, plugs/coils and reservoir should be on your radar as potential costs if they haven't been done yet.

Good news is that all ^ things should be under $10k and your car may increase that much in value before you need to do any of them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 996 Turbo Maintenance so far...