Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Sale advice, what to do before I sell.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 AM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-Sale advice, what to do before I sell.

First of all, I want to say thanks for all the advice and for such a great resource! This Forum has helped me greatly over the past two years!

So the time has come for me to let my car go to be enjoyed by another. Several factors for selling, but nothing is forcing me, and I don't need the money, so with that said, I am trying to understand what all I should do or let be when I sell.

2002 Seal Grey Comfort Seats. I've added a BT Kenwood Stereo and the Function First Shifter upgrade and a short-shift kit, tinted the windows and that's about it. It has a GAIC Stage 1 tune and required hardware upgrades done by previous owner including wastegates and upgraded clutch.

Bought with 50K for $40.5k has almost 70k on her now. Daily drove for about 2 years, kept up with the normal maint stuff, these few things are what I feel should be addressed, but don't want to put more $ than I'll get out of it. Trying to ballance asking price and how much to do before I list. Right now I'm trying to wrap up some projects on my house to get ready to sell and don't have much time or energy to give the car, plus I'm not driving it regularly anymore either.
  • Brakes - have pad and rotor left but but not much. I'd want to upgrade, seems I should let next owner decide
  • Front Lip - easy fix, but even after 2 years, I am not 100% accurate on keeping it from scraping in my driveway, hate to put on a new one only to scratch it up.
  • Cracked Wheel Well - Passenger side wheel well lining cracked at the front edge, I'm guessing from some road debris. Don't even know what this costs, havn't looked into it really.
  • Spoiler is dead

Hate asking for a listing price, so any OTHER input is appreciated! Thanks again guys/gals!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i wouldnt list if for a dime less than you paid two years ago. perhaps the market bounce will accrue to your benefit.

only thing i'd spend some time/thought on would be having the spoiler working ( if it could be re-bled ) if not? thats a -.

but if you can? wait for spring to list it.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Top asking price for a complete bolt-on, well maintained car with around 30-40K miles is $50-$55K.

My guess is asking price for your car would be $43-$45K range. I'm confident you'll get more than what you paid for it.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by BillZ260
First of all, I want to say thanks for all the advice and for such a great resource! This Forum has helped me greatly over the past two years!

So the time has come for me to let my car go to be enjoyed by another. Several factors for selling, but nothing is forcing me, and I don't need the money, so with that said, I am trying to understand what all I should do or let be when I sell.

2002 Seal Grey Comfort Seats. I've added a BT Kenwood Stereo and the Function First Shifter upgrade and a short-shift kit, tinted the windows and that's about it. It has a GAIC Stage 1 tune and required hardware upgrades done by previous owner including wastegates and upgraded clutch.

Bought with 50K for $40.5k has almost 70k on her now. Daily drove for about 2 years, kept up with the normal maint stuff, these few things are what I feel should be addressed, but don't want to put more $ than I'll get out of it. Trying to ballance asking price and how much to do before I list. Right now I'm trying to wrap up some projects on my house to get ready to sell and don't have much time or energy to give the car, plus I'm not driving it regularly anymore either.
  • Brakes - have pad and rotor left but but not much. I'd want to upgrade, seems I should let next owner decide
  • Front Lip - easy fix, but even after 2 years, I am not 100% accurate on keeping it from scraping in my driveway, hate to put on a new one only to scratch it up.
  • Cracked Wheel Well - Passenger side wheel well lining cracked at the front edge, I'm guessing from some road debris. Don't even know what this costs, havn't looked into it really.
  • Spoiler is dead

Hate asking for a listing price, so any OTHER input is appreciated! Thanks again guys/gals!
Be able to show a prospective buyer what level of servicing and maintenance you have given the car. You want to show you went over and above and beyond and show that you loved the car.

Get the car detailed. It wants to sparkle, outside and inside.

Gather up all the manuals, keys, and the tool kit, space saver tire, etc. Have the manuals where you can get to them. The tool kit and tire and pump etc. put those all in the car like it came from the factory.

If you can do the work yourself -- to save some money -- replace the worn brakes with new hardware. Just the stock rotors/pads. Use new hardware as called for by Porsche. Keep the receipts. Bleed the brakes afterwards.

The lip... You could replace it but run the risk of it being damaged during a test drive. You can pick up a replacement and give this to the new owner *after* he buys the car. 'course, you let him know this before he buys the car.

The spoiler is a bit of a bummer. The last thing a "new" owner of a Turbo wants to face is a spoiler problem. Likely he'll ask around (or already know) what's involved -- possibly a "rebuild" or a laborious rebleed -- or has priced a replacement spoiler.

A buyer will likely seek a price adjustment to cover a new factory spoiler even if he can fix the thing with a 5 cent washer once he gets the car home in his garage.

Ideally all servicing should be up to date. You want to be able to tell a prospective buyer that after he buys the car he can enjoy months and months, a year or more, and thousands of miles before any servicing (and then just oil/filter) is due/required.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:13 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Fix the spoiler and you should easily get what you paid if not more. GLWS.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

IMO fix the maintenance issues prior to sale as it's a turn off to most and will lead them to think the car was ill maintained (even if not true). Do the easy stuff. Doing front brake pads is cheap enough to warrant advertising new brakes versus saying they need to be done but you didn't feel like it. The spoiler is a known issue and that you can disclose to a buyer that it's inoperable as it is not detrimental to driving the car.

To reiterate, the obvious easy things I would do. The bigger things should be negotiated in the price of the car and left to the buyer's discretion. You should have no problem selling the car for a fair #. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with the prior two posters. The buyers I run across today want no 'stories.' Everything needs to work and look right. A dead spoiler means a red light on the dash. That's a deal stopper.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:05 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely want the spoiler system functioning - anything less than that will reduce the value of the car by more than the cost to get it repaired or replaced. New floor mats, detail, at least new brake pads, there should be no lights or warnings, replace the front lip, try not to scratch it up during the sale.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be a spring buyer. I would consider cars with dead spoilers, but they'd be near the bottom of my priority list, but above the ones with large gawdy aftermarket wings. Whereas if you had it fixed, especially with the electric option, that would be a huge bonus (and worth paying for) for me personally. Curious what everyone thinks the wheel well will cost.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:23 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel liner is a cheap fix, as is the front lip spoiler. Under $250 for both I'm guessing. Putting on the aero front lip is a nice addition, $99 from eBay.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:03 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The very fist thing anyone considering selling their 996tt should do is punch themselves in the nuts.

It's an appreciating asset at this point... if you have the room just put a cover on it and forget about it for a few years.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

[QUOTE=kmagnuss;13951625]The very fist thing anyone considering selling their 996tt should do is punch themselves in the nuts.

LOL...good one!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:53 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
The very fist thing anyone considering selling their 996tt should do is punch themselves in the nuts.

It's an appreciating asset at this point... if you have the room just put a cover on it and forget about it for a few years.
Its a volatile market. I just sold my 97 Dodge Viper at a time of when everyone says it will start to appreciate after 2 sold for $60K+ at the Mecum auction but you can either sit there and wait a few years assuming the asset will appreciate or end up nothing actually materialized and you wasted those years "waiting" for them to appreciate. To me, I buy cars to enjoy the experience. I know going into it that I'm not going to make money. If I do at the end of ownership, then great, but it is a sunk cost to me and is a reason why I work so I can enjoy my toys and hobbies like this.

I'll always tell the story of my Dad who bought a 1996 911 for around $35K and then selling it a year or two later for around the same cost because he never drove it...now he kicks himself for selling it back then but who would have ever expected the prices they are at today. If there are people like that, then they must kill it in the stock market
Old 02-11-2017, 05:51 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed hardhitter.... My thing is if you don't need the money or space, and aren't going to replace it with anything (don't need the space)... there's no reason to sell it. It's done depreciating. May as well stick it in the corner (nobody puts baby in the corner) and forget about it for a while.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
My thing is if you don't need the money or space, and aren't going to replace it with anything (don't need the space)... there's no reason to sell it.
^This

Quick Reply: Pre-Sale advice, what to do before I sell.