Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Sale advice, what to do before I sell.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:59 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

RENNKIT, future proof that wing

front lip in a box to the new guy

replace stock/factory brakes
Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

First thing I would do before listing mine for sale?

A lot of serious soul searching to make sure I really want to do it and why.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I pass on almost any car that has issues that the seller says is a "simple fix" but didn't bother to fix himself. I also have no desire to buy something that comes with a to do list unless it is a screaming deal - last thing I want is buyers remorse form an issue that ends up being a PITA.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:28 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jason952
RENNKIT, future proof that wing

front lip in a box to the new guy

replace stock/factory brakes
Originally Posted by leftlane
I pass on almost any car that has issues that the seller says is a "simple fix" but didn't bother to fix himself. I also have no desire to buy something that comes with a to do list unless it is a screaming deal - last thing I want is buyers remorse form an issue that ends up being a PITA.
+996 on both these comments. The rear spoiler broke on your watch. Sorry, but that means you get to fix it, just like any other part that breaks and turns on a big red warning light in the instrument panel. The good news is that the Rennkit is actually an upgrade at about half the cost that the buyer will want to deduct for the OEM fix. Five years ago you didn't have the Rennkit option, so it could definitely be worse.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:59 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
+996 on both these comments. The rear spoiler broke on your watch. Sorry, but that means you get to fix it, just like any other part that breaks and turns on a big red warning light in the instrument panel. The good news is that the Rennkit is actually an upgrade at about half the cost that the buyer will want to deduct for the OEM fix. Five years ago you didn't have the Rennkit option, so it could definitely be worse.
Actually, I read through his old posts and he mentioned it was broken before he bought it... so he just dealt with it in his ownership?

That's how I see it anyway. I guess if you never had a functioning one, you never knew what you were missing haha
Old 02-13-2017, 10:47 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Since I like spinning wrenches I'd rather pick up a car that needs a little bit of work. However that has to be reflected in the asking price. If you want top dollar, the car needs to be pristine and needing nothing other than a new owner.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:59 PM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great input guys, thanks so much for the insight.

Since I'm not in a rush to sell, I think I'll bite the bullet and get it tip top before selling. That will give me time to both consider keeping it and let the market swing up while working on the car, which I do enjoy.

Right now I'm focused on getting my house ready to sell. My plan for the $$ from the car was to make my next garage exactly what I wanted in my next place. I'm downsizing houses, trying to up size garage. If the house gets more than I need out of it, might help convince me to keep as well.

I'll keep yall posted on what I do. Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

You made the right choice. I as a buyer don't want a car you can't be bothered to maintain. Don't care how easy a fix is, if you weren't on top of it, what else weren't you on top of.

Take the you as third party rather than personal in the above.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 AM
BillZ260
Instructor

Understood

Key for me is not getting in a hurry just to get to something new or my next project or whatever. Breathe, settle down, finish this one, punch myself in the ***** and then move on
Old 02-14-2017, 12:05 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I agree with that, except for the punch yourself in the ***** part, that seems a bit unnecessary
Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 PM
BillZ260
Instructor

KMAGNUSS's suggestion... but he is from FL...

Old 02-14-2017, 02:14 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good call to fix those items. I had mine listed for sale recently and had it sold for my asking price. The morning of the ppi, I started it up, pulled out of the garage and then pulled it back in. Couldn't do it... It's a really hard car to replace even with $20k more or so to spend. That said I would check out my ad as a good example of how to list your car for sale when you do.

Last edited by clubracer6; 02-14-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 PM
BillZ260
Instructor

Thanks for the reference post, will help when time comes.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillZ260
Since I'm not in a rush to sell, I think I'll bite the bullet and get it tip top before selling. That will give me time to both consider keeping it and let the market swing up while working on the car, which I do enjoy.
I have learned over the years that when everything is right with my Porsche, I have no desire to sell if there is no particular reason. The only thing I have found on my car recently was the need for alignment (due to a pothole) so I installed some new PS2's and did the alignment. I always think new tires make the car feel new, and this time is no exception. It's like being in love all over again! And there's nothing that can replace it anyhow.

See that orange beauty to the left parked on Independence Pass? 71T. Bought it new and drove it 29 years. Should never have sold, but who knew? It's for sale again locally, but even if they would trade me even (which they wouldn't) I wouldn't give up my TT for it. If I still owned it, I would be tempted to sell at these prices though.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:30 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

My first advice.... don't.

Quick Reply: Pre-Sale advice, what to do before I sell.